John Tyler's Tyus Bowser de-commits from OSU

Smoaky

Yeah...smart ####....he has played a lot of guard in young career hasn't he??....you are brilliant also. I'm not saying he can't, just a big gamble on a kid that has played only in the paint his whole life. But if he puts his mind to it, he just might pull it off...kid has unbelievable drive.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO...yes Taylor was better on the court than grid iron...u can also make a case for him being better on the track field. I know the argument is he was a professional football player but I saw him in all three up close. He was very very gifted

Bowser is a great high school basketball player and will no doubt move to the Small Forward or be a big wing depending on the system if he decides to play college basketball. I have seen him play a few times, even though he can bully every player in East Texas, he is not a 'Power 6' conference basketball player. No disrespect, just with his size and pure basketball skill, he would be a more competitive player at an Oral Roberts type school. I hope he gets a chance at a school like Oklahoma State to play football and basketball to see what he can do, but not sure that will be the case. Best of luck in his decision, only he knows what is best for him!

Saw him play againt Jax this year and I think he just had an off game. I saw him play last year a couple of times and I was very impressed. Now Big D1 impressed, well I dont think so but Im not a scout. I plan on going to the JT, JAX game on next Tuesday looking forward to seeing how Bowser plays in the rematch. Anyway, good luck to the young man on whatever he decides to do.

Teams are limited to 13 scholarship athletes on a basketball team. There are hundreds of thousands of athletes across the country and world playing basketball.

Schools don't just hand out those basketball scholarships. They are very picky about who they go to. Now, a player can get a football scholarship and try to play basketball. The question becomes: does the basketball coach want to give the opportunity to a "football" player over a player that he spent a very precious scholarship on.

Very tough to do, but folks have already mentioned several players that have played both fairly recently. It could happen.

Mike Gundy needs to send Travis Ford a nice little gift basket.

So let me get this straight he may sign a FOOTBALL scholarship with Houston on tomorrow, and they are going to let him play basketball. WOW seems to me if he really wanted to play basketball he would just go to Oral Roberts and go straight hoops. I dont get it. Football is not over until Dec or Jan and then head to the gym. His skills are not that good on the court to play fball and then go to gym in COLLEGE. Doesnt make sense, but good luck!

So let me get this straight he may sign a FOOTBALL scholarship with Houston on tomorrow, and they are going to let him play basketball. WOW seems to me if he really wanted to play basketball he would just go to Oral Roberts and go straight hoops. I dont get it. Football is not over until Dec or Jan and then head to the gym. His skills are not that good on the court to play fball and then go to gym in COLLEGE. Doesnt make sense, but good luck!

His skills aren't that good???? If you say so man. That's your opinion.

+1....totally agree!!!

Frank, if an athlete plays both football and basketball, he is only counted towards football scholly numbers. Football takes priority over any other sport.

Yes but my point was that the basketball coach would then have to give the "football" player a shot over one of his scholarship athletes. Hard to see a coach doing that when those bball scholly are so valuable.

Im sorry, but its not that hard to understand. Its very simple. THE KID WANTS TO PLAY BOTH FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL IN COLLEGE.

Its not that uncommon. Many players do it. So in most cases, you sign with the football team. Why, because they have 20+ scholarships to hand out, vs 2-3 from B-ball. Its no different than Football players running track in college. Jamal Charles or Terrance Newman probably didn't have Track scholarships. But they both ran track. I believe they both won the Big 12 100m dash. Athletic dept. help each sport out in that way.

Also, if his skills aren't good enough to play college basketball, then why was he offered a COLLEGE scholarship by a Div.1 school. Yes, Oral Roberts is a Div.1 basketball school. And a very good Mid-Major program. They made the NIT last yr. and from 2006-2008 they reached the NCAA tournament.

Yes but my point was that the basketball coach would then have to give the "football" player a shot over one of his scholarship athletes. Hard to see a coach doing that when those bball scholly are so valuable.

The basketball coach wouldn't have to do anything that shows preference, ala giving a football player a shot over one of his athletes. The football player has a fighting chance, just like walk-on players, of proving their worth to the team and contributing towards the team's success. There isn't a coach in basketball that would complain about free depth and a better opportunity to present a more skilled team of 5 than the opposing team.

Im sorry, but its not that hard to understand. Its very simple. THE KID WANTS TO PLAY BOTH FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL IN COLLEGE.

Its not that uncommon. Many players do it. So in most cases, you sign with the football team. Why, because they have 20+ scholarships to hand out, vs 2-3 from B-ball. Its no different than Football players running track in college. Jamal Charles or Terrance Newman probably didn't have Track scholarships. But they both ran track. I believe they both won the Big 12 100m dash. Athletic dept. help each sport out in that way.

Also, if his skills aren't good enough to play college basketball, then why was he offered a COLLEGE scholarship by a Div.1 school. Yes, Oral Roberts is a Div.1 basketball school. And a very good Mid-Major program. They made the NIT last yr. and from 2006-2008 they reached the NCAA tournament.

+1

Ok you made some very valid points and I agree that, if he wants to play BOTH football and basketball then I respect that. I just thought that the quote I read from his high school coach said that he wanted to play college basketball and he would also entertain a school that would possibly offer him a dual or allow him to do both. Now the part I want you to understand is Oral Roberts offered him a full ride to play Basketball, meaning that they wanted him to do that full time, and all I was saying is I dont know if he can treat College like high school and just show up to the gym and play against guys who do this full time year around. Also football and track really go hand in hand in East Texas and mostly everywhere else. I just think what Jamal Charles and Terrance Newman did were a little different. I never heard of football season rolling over into track season, and let me also add this how many guys right now can leave College football and go run track, a heck of alot more that can go play football and basketball or fball and baseball. Those sports take more skills. Track is more of individual God given sport, If you can run, you can run. Anyway this is a forum and thats all these are is opinions. I respect yours and just wanted to drop mine. Heck I hope the kid goes and has the NFL and the NBA wanting him. I was just stating my opinion.