John Tyler's Tyus Bowser de-commits from OSU

Smoaky

Ok you made some very valid points and I agree that, if he wants to play BOTH football and basketball then I respect that. I just thought that the quote I read from his high school coach said that he wanted to play college basketball and he would also entertain a school that would possibly offer him a dual or allow him to do both. Now the part I want you to understand is Oral Roberts offered him a full ride to play Basketball, meaning that they wanted him to do that full time, and all I was saying is I dont know if he can treat College like high school and just show up to the gym and play against guys who do this full time year around. Also football and track really go hand in hand in East Texas and mostly everywhere else. I just think what Jamal Charles and Terrance Newman did were a little different. I never heard of football season rolling over into track season, and let me also add this how many guys right now can leave College football and go run track, a heck of alot more that can go play football and basketball or fball and baseball. Those sports take more skills. Track is more of individual God given sport, If you can run, you can run. Anyway this is a forum and thats all these are is opinions. I respect yours and just wanted to drop mine. Heck I hope the kid goes and has the NFL and the NBA wanting him. I was just stating my opinion.

I respect your opinion, I just think that you are unaware of how many kids play football and basketball in college. There are many guys that "show up" from the football field and contribute on the B-ball court. Its not as uncommon as you think. I have personally seen it done quite a bit.

The problem I had with your original statement was that you said that he wasn't good enough to do it. Well that is just flat out wrong. The kid has already been offered a Div.1 scholarship to play B-ball. Do you know how difficult it is to earn a Div.1 basketball scholarship. So for a guy who missed the first 10-12 games of every season since he has been on varsity do be able to earn that, shows how talented he is.

You are right, it won't be a cake walk, and its going to be tough for him to earn playing time, especially since its possible he will miss a quarter of the season due to football. And in alot of those cases I know of, the majority of the time, the football player didn't play much. BUT....if this is what the kid wants, and somebody is willing to let him do it, then I see know problem with it.

by the way, the track reference was just to show you how the football scholarship allows the kid to play other sports at the school. In other words instead of the track coach with limited scholarships giving one out, the coach probably talks it out with the football coach to give a full ride to help out both teams, because football has more scholarships to give out. I realize that a transition from football to track is alot different than going from football to basketball.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowser will give a 110% effort. He's a John Tyler Lion blessed with both athletic and academic excellence.

I believe that I heard that he was interested in studying architecture. I graduated with an architecture degree from The University of Texas. Architecture is a 5-year degree plan requiring long hours in the studio developing designs and drawings and such. It is not a program that lends itself well with also trying to be an athlete as it is not a study and then take a test type of curriculum. I am not saying that he cannot do it but his ambitions are quite lofty with trying to play two sports and then tackle a very demanding major.

No doubt he is a talented young man and i hope that he is successful in whatever he does.

List of guys that played both football and basketball in college recently:

Justin Gage-Missouri

Tony Gonzalez-Cal

Jerrod Johnson-Tex.AM

Charilie Ward-Florida State

Donavan McNabb-Syracuse

Nate Robinson-Washington

Terrell Owens-Tenn.State

Julius Peppers-UNC

Ronald Curry-UNC

Antwaan Randle El-Indiana (also played Baseball too)-3 sport athlete

I also know some at smaller Univ.

Robert Nelson-ULM

RoShon Jacobs-ULM

Drouzon Quillen-ULM

Willie Harvey-SFA

And there are many more.

Justin Gage-Missouri

Tony Gonzalez-Cal

Jerrod Johnson-Tex.AM

Donavan McNabb-Syracuse

Nate Robinson-Washington

Terrell Owens-Tenn.State

Julius Peppers-UNC

Ronald Curry-UNC

Robert Nelson-ULM

RoShon Jacobs-ULM

Drouzon Quillen-ULM

Willie Harvey-SFA

And there are many more.

how'd you forget antonio gates-kent state...went to elite eight in '02 on his shoulders

Justin Gage-Missouri

Tony Gonzalez-Cal

Jerrod Johnson-Tex.AM

Donavan McNabb-Syracuse

Nate Robinson-Washington

Terrell Owens-Tenn.State

Julius Peppers-UNC

Ronald Curry-UNC

Robert Nelson-ULM

RoShon Jacobs-ULM

Drouzon Quillen-ULM

Willie Harvey-SFA

And there are many more.

I get your point man but RECENTLY, most of those guys are retired.lol Try last 10 years?

Kendall Wright-Pittsburg HS Baylor- Football and Basketball(Chose to go with football after his Freshman year) Now withTennesee Titans.

If you had an east Texas list I would love to see that as well, I really wonder how many guys have did it from around here?

I get your point man but RECENTLY, most of those guys are retired.lol Try last 10 years?

Kendall Wright-Pittsburg HS Baylor- Football and Basketball(Chose to go with football after his Freshman year) Now withTennesee Titans.

If you had an east Texas list I would love to see that as well, I really wonder how many guys have did it from around here?

Man, I knew I forgot someone. I meant to put him on that list.

I will see what I can do on that east texas list.

by the way, Wright,Gage, Jerrod Johnson,Nate Robinson,Curry, and 2 of those guys from ULM has been within the last 10 yrs.

I believe that I heard that he was interested in studying architecture. I graduated with an architecture degree from The University of Texas. Architecture is a 5-year degree plan requiring long hours in the studio developing designs and drawings and such. It is not a program that lends itself well with also trying to be an athlete as it is not a study and then take a test type of curriculum. I am not saying that he cannot do it but his ambitions are quite lofty with trying to play two sports and then tackle a very demanding major.

No doubt he is a talented young man and i hope that he is successful in whatever he does.

He's also a well structured young man. He won't have trouble taking care of business.

I believe Gates did not play football in College. Just B-ball only

you're right. he wanted to play both at michigan state but saban wouldn't let him double dip, so he went to EMU and played, then wound up at kent st.

you can add bruce ellington (south carolina) to the list.