Longview Lobos 2013 Football Schedule

Lobo97

Longview has released their 2013 football schedule. They will play only 4 home games this year and will not have their first home game until week 4!

I've listed the schedule along with my predictions for each game below. What are your thoughts?

8/31: Coppell at Allen Stadium - L

- Coppell returns most of their O-Line, their top 3 RB's from last year, one of the best players in the country in DE Solomon Thomas. If their Junior QB plays at the level that last years QB does, not only does LV lose to Coppell, but so does everyone else on Coppells schedule.

9/6: @ Marshall - W

9/13: Olive Branch, MS at Independence Stadium - W

- Olive Branch won the Miss 6A Title last year going 11-2. However, the offense lost most everyone from last years team including their QB who accounted for 2800 yards and 30 TD's.

9/20: Lufkin - W

- Should be solid next season, but I think LV benefits from their first home game of the season, as well as getting Lufkin early who will be with a new QB, RB, and several O-Lineman.

9/27: Mesquite - W

- Mesquite is losing nearly everyone...QB, RB, top 4 WR's, most of the D-Line, as well as several other key defensive players.

10/4: Open

10/11: @ Rockwall Heath - W

10/18: Mesquite Horn - W

- I'm giving the Lobos the edge here as they are at home, but this will be a very tough game. Horn returns their QB who will be one of the best offensive players in the district, along with their top two WR's. This game could very well decide the District Champion.

10/25: @ North Mesquite - W

11/1: Tyler Lee - W

11/8: @ Rockwall - W

*P.S. If someone has already posted this, my apologies. I didn't see anything so hopefully this isn't a double thread.

Posted in the Longview/Olive Branch thread but eh, who cares.

Going with 8-2. Longview comes up short against Coppell, but game will be WAY closer than it was last season. Then falls to Mesquite Horn at home in a final drive. Unless the defense can somehow contain their QB. Only reason they won last year was his ability to scramble on 3rd down and make plays.

All other games should be wins, unless we get some big time injuries again. Heath loses a lot I believe. North brings back people but they have been awful. Marshall is a ways off and doesn't even have a coach yet but should be better than last season. Rockwall is in the same boat as North is. Tyler Lee is just awful, and until they prove they can turn it around will stay that way in my mind. And Lufkin has a QB situation to figure out, wouldn't shock me if we see a similar type of game as last season. Olive Branch, I don't know much about but they lose a ton from last season so I hear...and they're making their first ever 6 hour journey to Shreveport. Longview will be more than rested and knows how to win in that stadium better than any other East Texas team. Should roll. And of course Mesquite loses Cooper and SEVERAL others along with him. The Longview/Mesquite rematch should go much in the way the North/Longview rematch at Lobo went the next year...absolute blow out city.

Big hurdle for the 'Bos this year is facing whoever comes up in the 3rd round again. It could be Lake Travis, it could be Westlake, it could one of the Spring schools, or some random. But it's beginning to become a thing that we need to right. I can't imagine the GISD being any more down than they were last season, but wouldn't shock me if they were. And we can almost count on playing Lake Highlands or Dallas Jesuit again in the 2nd round (though I'm secretly going to continue to hope we get Plano...just because I want to see a Longview/Plano game).

Been discussing the schedule on the 5A boards awhile now.

As '07 said..8-2 would be a realistic prediction. Coppell returns so much talent..it's crazy. Hope they take it easy on us.

Meanwhile Horn is returning an offense comparable to what Mesquite possessed this season. Folks better mark my words..Destri White will be better than Alex Cooper. Lufkin could possibly beat us if they find a dependable QB during the spring..their offense is stacked with wideouts and they started a lot of underclassmen on the defensive side this past season.

Rockwall will be better than what people think..but I think we beat em by 17. They'll be a playoff team.

Heath is losing everyone..they'll receive an even worse beat down this year.

Tyler Lee..well....yeah. Blowout.

NM returns some talent..still will struggle though.

Mesquite loses basically everything from their glory year. Won't be a nice night for them at Lobo.

Olive Branch is a Mississippi 6A power. But I hear they've loss a lot of talent as well. Lobos roll.

And Marshall.........

tumblr_mctxw3Z7Rh1rzq3b5.gif

Soft District! Seems like the lower classifications in East Texas are the power of East Texas football.

Good football runs through all East Texas districts. What's your team? Perhaps you could persuade the coach to put his team on the field against the Lobos. I'm sure it would be a good game to watch.

Soft District! Seems like the lower classifications in East Texas are the power of East Texas football.

Funny, outside of Longview and Lufkin..I don't see anyone else in East Texas having a lifetime chance in competing for a playoff spot in our district much less winning it.

Ask people around the country who the power of East Texas is. Don't think anyone will mention a single lower classification school.

Few will ever say Longview! My point is that the current district alignment is not a strong district. Lee is down; the Mesquite schools are hit and miss any given year; and outside of the district, Lufkin and Marshall are shadows of what they were in years past. Just not a tough district any more. In east Texas, check out the district representatives who drive deep into the playoffs year in and year out. I think the 3A classification is the current identity of east Texas.

Few will ever say Longview! My point is that the current district alignment is not a strong district. Lee is down; the Mesquite schools are hit and miss any given year; and outside of the district, Lufkin and Marshall are shadows of what they were in years past. Just not a tough district any more. In east Texas, check out the district representatives who drive deep into the playoffs year in and year out. I think the 3A classification is the current identity of east Texas.

Lmao, I would hope not with the way they played in the playoffs last year..

Most people around the state will say Longview, JT and Lufkin are the best teams in east Texas. You can't compare 3A schools and lower to 4A and 5A football. I don't hear anyone talking about the 3A classification in east texas when I'm in Houston, Dallas or anywhere else. Stop being foolish...

Sure. If so..then why is Longview(sometimes Lufkin) ranked nationally every year and no one else in East Texas..including these so called untouchable 3A teams?

They didn't look untouchable in the playoffs....

I still can't believe he put us with Marshall.

They didn't look untouchable in the playoffs....

I still can't believe he put us with Marshall.

Totally overlooked that..but I dunno why he'd say such thing. Goes to show his football intelligence.

Lufkin have some recent losses to PT that I don't know about?

You guys miss the point...it was never stated that any 3A team or whomever could beat a top level 5A team for a myriad of reasons. Most of us assume that vice having to fall back on our insecurities. The point was that the lower classification teams in east Texas are more prevalent in the playoffs than the 5A teams. They have become the identity of east Texas. Recruiting to Division I schools is another indicator when compared to Longview.

National rankings are dumb and for fans only - no real method to it. I'm going to call a buddy in California and ask him about Longview and east Texas (Wolf's comment about everyone nationally knowing the Lobos). It's all in your head. Nobody outside the state other than a few teams in LA would even know who the Lobos are or even where Longview might be.

So get back under control and take a look at the runs of some of the lower classification districts in east Texas. And yes, the Longview district is a fluff district when taken from top to bottom year in year out.

By the way, I noted on Smoaky's All East Texas first team on the offense and defense, there were only 5 of 36 positions selected from 5A.

All 6 individual awards went to clasifications below 5A.

I refuse to argue with you, so i will say this one thing. You need to take into consideration that there are only 3 5A teams IN East Texas. Compare those 3 to how many lower classifications there are around here. Why wouldn't there be MANY other playoff games from other classifications? I can only speak for Longview & Lufkin because we are relatively the same size, which will be Division 2. (barring something freaky and unexplainable) & Tyler Lee isn't going to the playoffs anytime soon...just saying. So, you are telling us that we can compete in the numbers game and we are in 1 classification, compared to 8 other classifications? You are the one that is not making any sense, nor are you getting the point! When there are more 5A teams in East Texas, we can revisit this conversation, until then, stick to what you know!

Go Lobos!

Why does every Lobo thread turn into someone comparing them to the lower classification teams???

No brainer...same 'ol dumb off-season rant about how smaller schools are better because Longview lacks titles. Never fails.

Why does every Lobo thread turn into someone comparing them to the lower classification teams???

This thread is about Longviews upcoming season schedule. If you want to start a new conversation, then start a new thread!

To be fair there is only Lee and LP to compete with in East Texas. You gotta think of it as Lebron before they won. That question will always hant you. At least yall are asked cause that means Longview is a contender. I promise nobody asking hallsville,pine tree why they haven't won state.

Oh I agree completely with that. My point is, it would be nice to have a thread stay on topic. Whether or not Longview has or does share the type of success at the end of the season as other East Texas teams is another discussion.

I do agree with your previous comment that the district is not what it used to be. It seems like there are usually 2, maybe 3, good teams in this district per year. The thing is, outside Longview, the other 1-2 teams typically varies from year to year. I remember district 12-5A that I was a part of from '96-'98....Longview, Lee (when they were still good), Marshall (when they were still good), JT, and Lufkin. I remember my Senior year when Lufkin missed the playoffs even though they could have probably beat most other top teams from many other districts.

I think Lobo97 gets the point...it's not that smaller classification teams are better than Longview or Lufkin or whomever. The point is that (my view) the true identity of east Texas football these days are the lower classifications, particularly 3A...a ton of top level teams year in and year out (Henderson, Carthage, Kilgore, Gilmer, etc)

The smaller classifications have always had great sucess in East Texas. I would add the Tigers to that list and a few others. The higher classification teams,are no longer around in that part of the state. However, Lufkin, Longview and John Tyler are known across the state for having great programs.

I think Lobo97 gets the point...it's not that smaller classification teams are better than Longview or Lufkin or whomever. The point is that (my view) the true identity of east Texas football these days are the lower classifications, particularly 3A...a ton of top level teams year in and year out (Henderson, Carthage, Kilgore, Gilmer, etc)

If you go to any big citys here in Texas and you ask anybody about football east Texas they are going only talk about John Tyler, Longview, And Lufkin because those are the three best teams in east Texas tradition wise and talent wise.

Longview has released their 2013 football schedule. They will play only 4 home games this year and will not have their first home game until week 4!

I've listed the schedule along with my predictions for each game below. What are your thoughts?

8/31: Coppell at Allen Stadium - L

- Coppell returns most of their O-Line, their top 3 RB's from last year, one of the best players in the country in DE Solomon Thomas. If their Junior QB plays at the level that last years QB does, not only does LV lose to Coppell, but so does everyone else on Coppells schedule.

9/6: @ Marshall - W

9/13: Olive Branch, MS at Independence Stadium - W

- Olive Branch won the Miss 6A Title last year going 11-2. However, the offense lost most everyone from last years team including their QB who accounted for 2800 yards and 30 TD's.

9/20: Lufkin - W

- Should be solid next season, but I think LV benefits from their first home game of the season, as well as getting Lufkin early who will be with a new QB, RB, and several O-Lineman.

9/27: Mesquite - W

- Mesquite is losing nearly everyone...QB, RB, top 4 WR's, most of the D-Line, as well as several other key defensive players.

10/4: Open

10/11: @ Rockwall Heath - W

10/18: Mesquite Horn - W

- I'm giving the Lobos the edge here as they are at home, but this will be a very tough game. Horn returns their QB who will be one of the best offensive players in the district, along with their top two WR's. This game could very well decide the District Champion.

10/25: @ North Mesquite - W

11/1: Tyler Lee - W

11/8: @ Rockwall - W

*P.S. If someone has already posted this, my apologies. I didn't see anything so hopefully this isn't a double thread.

Do yall scrimmage JT again?

If you go to any big citys here in Texas and you ask anybody about football east Texas they are going only talk about John Tyler, Longview, And Lufkin because those are the three best teams in east Texas tradition wise and talent wise.

Tradition wise?

I'll take Daingerfield for 100, Alex