One-eyed refs

JoeKane

It is not all the refs fault. Coaches teach many things that dirty up the game. Such as chinning the ball, bumping cutters, hedging, and setting screens outside their body which all leads to more contact. Offense is just as guilty of initiating contact than the defense.

I agree 100% that offense is as guilty as D! That's just part of the game. It's up to the refs to control the game. Once they notice this stuff or overlook it, they can set the stage for the rest of the game. Diversity of refs, players and teams is what makes the game interesting. It would be boring if all were the same. The post was started to discuss the refs calling the game unfairly(one sided). If the ref sets the same stage for both teams, good teams change their game accordingly.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree JoeKane. I have been an official for 14 years and I have been blessed to work the biggest HS games the state has to offer and worked a small college mens schedule for about 6 years. The biggest complaint from coaches is consistency and if officials will work hard, communicate, execute their mechanics properly, and be strong in their coverage area HS refs will really improve. The only thing I disagree with you about is "controlling" the game. Officials should oversee the game and let the game come to them not reach for things cause that puts their co-officials, players, and coaches in limbo and makes it impossible for them to adjust to the officiating style.

I totally agree JoeKane. I have been an official for 14 years and I have been blessed to work the biggest HS games the state has to offer and worked a small college mens schedule for about 6 years. The biggest complaint from coaches is consistency and if officials will work hard, communicate, execute their mechanics properly, and be strong in their coverage area HS refs will really improve. The only thing I disagree with you about is "controlling" the game. Officials should oversee the game and let the game come to them not reach for things cause that puts their co-officials, players, and coaches in limbo and makes it impossible for them to adjust to the officiating style.

Thanks for the response. I see your point of view about letting the game come to "them"