31-4A Boys

Sandman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Lindale has a 3pt edge going into Friday and a win or shootout gives them district. Doesn't matter if they win or lose a shootout...

BUT...if JT wins, what are the tiebreakers for determining 1st and 2nd? Lindale won the 1st meeting 1-0 so they have a 1 goal advantage. Are away goals the 1st tiebreaker?

Lindale 7-0-(2-0) 25 pts
John Tyler 7-1-(0-1) 22 pts
Whitehouse 3-3-(1-2) 13 pts
Athens 3-6 9 pts
Chapel Hill 1-6-(1-1) 6 pts
Mabank 2-7 6 pts

Tuesday
Athens 2, Mabank 1
Lindale 1, Chapel Hill 0
Whitehouse def. John Tyler in PK's

Friday

John Tyler vs. Lindale

Whitehouse vs. Mabank

Athens vs. Chapel Hill

JT beat Lindale in shootout, but Lindale wins District.

Just read Newspaper article and Coach Story's quoted as saying..."The best team didn't win tonight, and they (Lindale) know it".

I always scratch my head when a coach says that. You cant blame the loss on the weather, the ball or the field because both teams played in the same weather and on the same field and with the same equipment. The refs usually stink it up for both sides so it isn't the refs fault. The fans can't be blamed either, so if the "best" team doesn't win (twice in the JT-Lindale match-up now that JT didn't win), who is to blame? If the kids are better...it's not them. So what's left? C'mon coach. Look how self-incriminating that statement is. Your a good coach. The kids love you and you have a passion for winning...but you shoot yourself in the foot when you say stuff like that!

I really don't think you can make the argument that JT is the better team. Maybe slightly more talented, but not better. JT and Lindale played 4 common district foes twice each. Lindale had 22 points from those contests and JT also had 22 points. No clear cut better team. In two head to head matches, Lindale had 4 points to JT's 2 points. So why should JT be thought of as the better team?

I think JT is more talented, and have stated that in the thread. I also think they are better coached, as Lindale (in my humble opinion) has several players who think they are MESSI and try to dribble the ball around and through 4-5 defenders only to turn it over consistently. If that was corrected and they could learn to PASS THE BALL...man 'o man could Lindale be awesome! They also don't go wide and cross into the box where 2 or 3 strikers are making runs enough because their mids are losing possession too often. In order to go deep in the playoffs, that really should be corrected. But Lindale has won district championships regularly lately so carry on Lawdog! Keep doing what your doing. It's working.

In reality, the difference between the two teams is nada.

Go Eagles and Go Cujo! Represent East Texas well and we are behind Whitehouse and Athens in their matches!

I do not generally post but I did want to comment on the statements I made to the newspaper. First, I want to state I respect Coach Lawless, he is a great coach and I consider him a friend. He has always been a winning coach and consistently wins district. Everyone in district knows that they are going to have a challenge when they play Lindale. Physical and fast, Lindale always plays with a lot of heart and pride. I know my statements sounded like sour grapes but I thought we were more creative and had more opportunities and I thought this was obvious. There it is nothing more nothing less. I had to score, Lindale needed only a tie. They were successful, we weren't. Now, I support all the teams in our district in play-offs. Eagles, Lions, Wildcats, and Hornets get after it!

Lindale 7-0-(2-1) 26 pts
John Tyler 7-1-(1-1) 24 pts
Whitehouse 4-3-(1-2) 16 pts
Athens 4-6 12 pts
Chapel Hill 1-7-(1-1) 6 pts
Mabank 2-8 6 pts

Friday

John Tyler in pks over Lindale

Whitehouse 3, Mabank 0

Athens 3, Chapel Hill 2 (OT)

Playoffs

Lindale vs. Marshall

John Tyler vs. Hallsville

Whitehouse vs. Pine Tree

Athens vs. Kilgore

I know the score doesn't represent it well but Athens played a great game tonight! Those guys gave it all they had for 80 min and I couldn't ask for more. They had some great chances to score but were unable to capitalize. The Bulldogs keeper is definately the strength of their team. I'm very proud of the Hornets for not giving up and continuing to play even in the final minutes.

I do not generally post but I did want to comment on the statements I made to the newspaper. First, I want to state I respect Coach Lawless, he is a great coach and I consider him a friend. He has always been a winning coach and consistently wins district. Everyone in district knows that they are going to have a challenge when they play Lindale. Physical and fast, Lindale always plays with a lot of heart and pride. I know my statements sounded like sour grapes but I thought we were more creative and had more opportunities and I thought this was obvious. There it is nothing more nothing less. I had to score, Lindale needed only a tie. They were successful, we weren't. Now, I support all the teams in our district in play-offs. Eagles, Lions, Wildcats, and Hornets get after it!

Good post Coach. It's also very hard to play a tough game and not get the result that you want and almost immediately have to answer questions from a reporter. Many times things just come out differently and are reported somewhat out of context. Good luck to all of you in the playoffs

That's Class Coach! Go Cujo!