Once Elite Football Programs on the decline.....and have stayed there...

TheLionWire

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where ever you are getting your information from is wrong. GS has 25 playoff wins in school history. Our Playoff record is 25-19-2. That is almost 50 playoff games we have been a part of.

We also lost 4 times to eventual state champions in close games, Groveton twice (83 and 90) and Celina (98&99)

Oh, and here is something else to Chew on-

"Getting a grip out East."

"Let's start with Grand Saline under first-year head coach Michael Ludlow. Grand Saline was once a very proud program that was among the discussion as the best

2-A programs in East Texas. Former head coach Carter Elliott won, won a lot and had a team or two or three that was probably good enough to win a state championship but they always seem to run into some of those great Groveton teams in the 80's and Celina in the 90's.

So, let's take a trip down Grand Saline football Memory Lane. Before Carter Elliott arrived in Grand Saline (1982), the Indians were mostly inconsistent in terms of being a playoff team and it took Elliott a little time to get his system implemented (7-33 record from 1978-1981), but once they put things together the Indians took control of a lot of East Texas. Elliott's Indians were a remarkable 97-24-1 from 1982-1991 including six teams that won ten games or more. Elliott left coaching after 1993 and Grand Saline was "okay" at 34-22 record…but Elliott returned in 1997 and immediately made a difference as the Indians went 7-5, 11-2 and 12-1 before retiring following the 1999 season. Well, needless to say, Grand Saline football has been floudering since his departure with no more than six wins since 2003. Well, enter Ludlow who has the Indians 5-1 through their 37-36 win against Quitman. And, to make things more interesting, Grand Saline is being led by a freshman QB, Austin Truett who has led the Indians to a pair of thrilling last minute comeback victories."

That Ladies and Gentlemen, was quoted by our very own, Mr. David Smoak.

First off, Take the homer glasses off.

I got the information off of Lone Star Football Network. Maybe they didnt have the playoff win part right... my apologies on that part.. I am not saying they once were not a good football team & program and have fell off. Not saying that, but you act like they were the best there has ever been in East Texas. Smoak did not call them Elite, he said they were among the discussion of the best 2a in east texas. Ask him if they deserve to be considered among the Elite in East Texas.. if they are a Daingerfield, Gilmer, Carthage, or any of them.. They do not need to be called Elite... 25 playoff wins in a program thats been open since 1923?. 89 years...., Lets take a look at some "ELITE" programs...

Daingerfield Tigers- 26 Playoff Wins in the Past Decade...3 State Championships- Something Grand saline hasn't ever done once in 89 years.

Gilmer Buckeyes- 25 Playoff Wins in the Past Decade... 2 State Championships-

Lake Travis- 25 Playoff Wins in 7 years.... with 5 State Championships.

The school that comes to mind to me when I think of Elite is Celina. They haven't been as dominate the past several years as they used to be. lets take a look at their records..

They have won 70% of their games all time.. thats all time.. 37 playoff wins since 2000.. 74 playoff wins overall. 7 state c championships.

Bottom line is, to be the most ELITE, you have to beat the best, and saying they probably were the best other than those Groveton teams that beat them out every year doesnt make them elite. You are just one more homer fan that is stuck far outside of reality.

What do people consider elite? Lionking hit the nail on the head, IMO, but I wouldn't consider Tatum elite..

I think you can consider them a elite school. If you consider statechampships as a elite criteria maybe no, but they have won a few. I think a elite team is a team that is always in the mix with few down years. That is just my view

Some programs I think I have gone down hill and have not been able to climb their way back. North and East Texas.

Tyler Lee

Grand Saline

Paris Chisum

Big Sandy

TK Gorman

Mesquite

Quitman

Commerce

Who all do you have?

TYLER LEE ELITE???? The nerve of some people.... -__- smh

I was wondering also has there been a team that was a second or third place team when a state championship, in the past you had to win district just to be in the playoffs and a lot of good teams never played after district. I think with the playoff system as it is now makes it easier to have a chance at a championship.

TYLER LEE ELITE???? The nerve of some people.... -__- smh

they had a great 10 year run and were Elite in East texas and 2 years made deep playoff runs before winning it all finally in 2004.

I was wondering also has there been a team that was a second or third place team when a state championship, in the past you had to win district just to be in the playoffs and a lot of good teams never played after district. I think with the playoff system as it is now makes it easier to have a chance at a championship.

that happened in 1998. Celina finished 2nd in their district to Pilot Point and they won the State Championship in Class 2A D2.

When carthage and chapel hill/Henderson were in the same district they both won state championships. Someone had to get second place. Lol. And also I think Sulpher springs won from a third place in district.

What part of "Once Elite" do some of you not understand?

GS is not elite now. They are not even good. They are a struggling program. They were once considered an elite East Texas program.

That is what I am asking, what programs were once considered elite that are now at the bottom and having a hard time to claw themselves back up?

GS meets that criteria.

they had a great 10 year run and were Elite in East texas and 2 years made deep playoff runs before winning it all finally in 2004.

that happened in 1998. Celina finished 2nd in their district to Pilot Point and they won the State Championship in Class 2A D2.

2004 2009 were the only two years they were elite in this decade.

quarterfinals in 2003, semifinals in 2002 and something like a 20-1 record against John Tyler for the decade.

You forgot the solid ground work of 8 and 9 win seasons that preceded that when Owens took over for his first 6-7 seasons.

And yes, JT fans lest you forget Lee dominated your series for a long string of wins recently.

Commerce had a 3 year run 1999-2001, they've struggled since. During the 1960s and 1970s, Brownwood was one of the most dominant football programs in Texas.

Actually, Commerce was pretty good from `93 til `02. State finals `95, `97, `99 and `01, winning state championship in `99(Sealy) and `01(LaGrange). Rest of those years went 3 to 4 rounds deep, I believe. Man the good days.

quarterfinals in 2003, semifinals in 2002 and something like a 20-1 record against John Tyler for the decade.

But JT leads overall series and how How did JT and lee play each other 21 times in a ten year period???? JT and lee the last decade are 7-4 against each other so not dominance only by 3 games and JT still have more state championships than lee and more state championship appearances than Lee JT has 4 state players of year 2 recently in Greg ward and Jeremy Johnson Lee has none JT has been ranked nationally in in the top 3 before Lee hasn't JT has had nationally ranked players by espn 4 recently Lee hasn't JT gets the SEC schools and big 12 schools sadly Lee doesn't. JT has a Heisman trophy winner Lee doesn't. JT has a ESPN ESPY award Lee doesn't JT has a national championship in 7 on 7 football Lee doesn't JT has more NFL players than Lee will ever have. So what ya got??

But JT leads overall series and how How did JT and lee play each other 21 times in a ten year period???? JT and lee the last decade are 7-4 against each other so not dominance only by 3 games and JT still have more state championships than lee and more state championship appearances than Lee JT has 4 state players of year 2 recently in Greg ward and Jeremy Johnson Lee has none JT has been ranked nationally in in the top 3 before Lee hasn't JT has had nationally ranked players by espn 4 recently Lee hasn't JT gets the SEC schools and big 12 schools sadly Lee doesn't. JT has a Heisman trophy winner Lee doesn't. JT has a ESPN ESPY award Lee doesn't JT has a national championship in 7 on 7 football Lee doesn't JT has more NFL players than Lee will ever have. So what ya got??

JT has run on sentences. Lee does not.

Lee has punctuation. JT does not.

Bahahahahahaha