Texas Tech Spicing Things Up

sawemoff

Looks like Texas Tech is adding some new helmets, and surely some uniform combinations to their look for this next season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BD0NnYaCMAABurq.png:large

The helmets on the right look great, everything else looks pretty bad in my opinion, chrome overkill. I'm not crazy about the logos, especially on the red. That gray needs to be thrown out immediately.

While those might be mocks, the two below are confirmed for 2012-13

newtexastechhelmet.jpg

This is some additional information on more helmets confirmed from Tech officials:

Texas Tech football’s official recruiting visitors, predominantly already Red Raider commits, got to see two new Texas Tech football helmets up close Jan. 20 and left their visit believing the helmets will be used in games next season, according to RedRaiderSports.com.

Texas Tech unveiled a matte black and a silver helmet to 10 recruits and the commits had favorable things to say about the Red Raiders’ new equipment.

The silver helmet came almost completely out of the blue because silver isn’t a Texas Tech school color.

“We saw that silver one and didn’t know whether it was a display or what,” Red Raider commit Keenon Ward said. “I talked to coach (Tommy Tuberville) and he said, ‘No, we’re actually going to wear it.’ I thought it was pretty cool. I think we all liked it. It looks really cool in person.”

Many Red Raider fans have talked about the desire to see Texas Tech wear the matte helmets schools like Boise State, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma State have popularized for the past two football seasons. While it isn’t known how much a the matte black helmet will be worn, the helmet will at least be an option.

“I particularly like the black ones,” Texas Tech commit Anthony Smith said. “They’re kind of like the ones at Oklahoma State except they’re way better. I can’t wait to put that helmet on and suit up.”

In addition to the new matte black and silver helmets, Texas Tech should have the options to wear the white helmet that the Red Raiders wore a handful of times during the 2010 and 2011 seasons and the reflective black helmet that has been the Red Raiders staple in recent history.

Texas Tech head football coach Kliff Kingsbury signed his contract with the university Monday, a contract reportedly with a base salary of $10.5 million over five years and $13.5 million with bonuses.

The head coach’s contract also has a unique clause in it that will allow him to help design Texas Tech’s uniforms from the 2014 season forward. There’s just not enough time between now and the start of the 2013 season to overhaul the Red Raiders’ look with Under Armour.

According to RedRaiderSports.com, the clause gives Kingsbury “creative license in the design of the football team’s equipment and team uniforms.”

stick with the traditional logo for heavens sake! That "guns" logo will get some attention from our overly sensitive population. Good luck with that.

This is the State of Texas, Texas Tech & not the North.