Manziel Suing

Grindin

Yes I'm sure he's the one that hired a lawyer and went through the whole process.

If not him, than his family. If I read correctly, it was his dad's lawyer. I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't want some random guy making money off of me either.

If not him, than his family. If I read correctly, it was his dad's lawyer. I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't want some random guy making money off of me either.

I imagine his family is doing all of his legal work. I agree there are a lot of people trying to make money off his name

I imagine his family is doing all of his legal work. I agree there are a lot of people trying to make money off his name

Side note: Texas A&M has made plenty of money off of him that he will never get a piece of.

This is true for every star athlete in college sports though lol That's something they know going into the deal and sign papers saying they agree to it.

I guess we will have to refer to the Aggie quarterback as "Johnny Pigskin".

Did Manziel come up with the name or did the fans. It would be interesting if someone challenged the name was public domain and the depositions and trial were held in the fall.

Call him whatever ya want, but selling tshirts trying to make money off the guy is wrong. It's the same reason every school in the country sends our cease and desist letters to people that use school logos.

This is what I read back in November : And at least one company is trying to capitalize on that. A few weeks ago, an investment group in Texas filed for the “Johnny Football” trademark. The Manziel family then began drawing up their own petition for the trademark and were quickly joined by Texas A&M.

“It gains a lot of attention now, but it’s something that savvy entertainers have been doing for a long time,” said Joshua Jones, a trademark and intellectual property lawyer in Austin.

Just this year, Anthony Davis of the NBA’s New Orleans Hornets trademarked the phrase “Fear the Brow,” a reference to his athletic prowess and unibrow. And Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III snatched up “RG3.” But those guys are professional athletes. Johnny Manziel is still in college and can’t make any money based on his college football career.

“The NCAA is very clear,” said Shane Hinckley, an assistant vice president in Texas A&M’s business development office. “A player’s name, image, likeness or nickname cannot be used by the institution or by a private individual to sell merchandise.”

If that Texas investment group actually started selling Johnny Football shirts at $20 a pop, quarterback Johnny Manziel -- even if he doesn’t collect a dime -- could lose his college eligibility and have to quit the team. So the school’s involvement is as much about self-preservation as it is anything else. Taken from : http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/johnny-football-name-sparks-field-battle

I've seen Johnny Football T-shirts, and perhaps this is his legal way to protect his college career.

Call him whatever ya want, but selling tshirts trying to make money off the guy is wrong. It's the same reason every school in the country sends our cease and desist letters to people that use school logos.

Did Manziel coin the name? I understand his image & name. It was Aggieland that owns the name in my opinion. They coined the term. Now Meta World Peace coined his name and has every right to trademark it.

The A&M and UT systems offer a ton of online degrees. What I don't understand is how they justify the housing in his scholarship etc. There are a lot of issues that on-line courses for scholarship athletes can cause justifying the amount of money allotted for certain things.

I will not speak for A&M, but UT-Austin does not offer any on-line degrees. The online degrees are from primarily UTPB & UT-Browmsville. UT offers 50 classes that are either online or self-paced. What I do not know is whether Austin accepts the online classes taken at satellite universities for credit. My recollection is your last 30 hours must be on campus for a degree from Austin.

My recollection is your last 30 hours must be on campus for a degree from Austin.

Most universities have the same policy. We don't know if this is just this semester or what though. Also, no one expects Manziel to finish those last 30 hours.

Now reported that he only takes online classes. Next we will find out the courses are through the University of Phoenix. In the "A La Carte" section of the DMN, they were critical of A&M if the story about online classes was true.

First off, the DMN ####. And if it was Tim cowlishaw, he especially stinks.

And since I don't read that cage lining, what were they critical about?

Manziel and especially his family are setting him up for such a huge crash back to earth. It should be epic when it happens.

Maybe his family can take some of the money they're sucking up from him and put it into the dump that is the Oil Palace that they own. Doubt that happens though.

So does everyone in this thread dislike RG3 for trademarking about 10 slogans and his nickname?

RGIII has never been half the pre madonna Manziel is. The kid is a great player and had AN incredible season, but c'mon, you know as well as everyone else in this thread that if he were a player at any other school doing this (especially UT) that you and every other Aggie would be reacting the same way the rest if us are.

Essentially if Tebow was able to manage the Heisman hoopla and attend class at Florida, Manziel should be able to attend classes at A&M. They suggest that "school officials" should investigate "because it is no image an institution wants to project".

For my money the DMN has the best sports section in the state and one of the best nationally.