Best High School Basketball game you've ever seen

SWT2000

your right I remember the name now...he missed some ft's right at end of game that would have won it...he played a great game hated to see it end that way for the kid,,,you are probably right on opponent... those title trnys in 70's and 80's getting a little distant in my noggin

Clack hit Three FT with no time left on the clock to send the game into overtime. Austin Anderson then lost in overtime.

definitely agree with the SA East Central and the Peaster.... AJ Hill was unreal

also add shallowater games the year coaches son Eric Morris... exciting game...game winner/buzzer beater!

Got to play in a few of those JT/REL games in the 80's. Did not matter where we played, they were packed.

2010 State Championship game Cayuga vs. Bronte. Cayuga had rolled through the playoffs and most of us felt the game was just a formality. Next thing you know there is about a minute and a half to go in the game and Cayuga is down by 6. Wasn't looking good for us at all. Up steps a freshman phenom by the name of Preston Anderson. He drains a couple of 3's to send the game into overtime. Drains another 3 in overtime to help seal a 66-60 win.

I know we all vote on emotions and those gut reanching matchups but i will you garantee you the best teams are not at the 3A and below level. You can justify your choice if you haven't watched 4 A or 5A ball. No comparission best on best

Yates vs Colony (I think) in the state championship game Joe Youngs Sr year. Yates was undefeated and #1 in the nation. They were down by 5 pts with less than 2 minutes to play. Young comes out of the locker room and hits 3 quick 3's in 5 secs. Next thing I knew Yates was up by 20 and taking their second consecutive state title.

I was there also.....it was against Lancaster. The Colony was the semi-final game in which Yates beat the brakes off of them.

When Brandon Peters caught that ally-oop from Darius Gardner during Yates' final run, the whole Erwin Center went wild cause it seems as if his neck was at the rim.

I was there also.....it was against Lancaster. The Colony was the semi-final game in which Yates beat the brakes off of them.

When Brandon Peters caught that ally-oop from Darius Gardner during Yates' final run, the whole Erwin Center went wild cause it seems as if his neck was at the rim.

I know a lot of people dont care for Coach Wise's system but one thing that impressed me was he never got rattled during that game. He just kept encouraging them on defense. Like him or not, his team believed in him.

The Drum was packed and loud! Most of the people were there in red and yellow

• 5 years later...
On 2/27/2013 at 7:27 PM, EagleCat95 said:

I've been a smoaky spectator for years and finally decided to get in the game. First post...best bball game.

Rusk 113, Madisonville 112 (Triple OT) 1994

In 1994 Rusk (who hadn't been to the playoffs in 20 years) played #2 ranked Madisonville in the bi-district round. Rusk started 5 juniors and their next 5 were one senior and 4 sophomores. M'ville only had one contributing senior as well.

The game was played in front of probably 2,000 people at Lon Morris. Fans were basically standing on the baseline closest to the concession stand. Both team pressed and played their usual up-tempo game. Rusk led the entire game up until M'ville hit a shot with a few seconds to send it to OT. Rusk was down as much as 6 in the first OT and a M'ville player had a wide open lay-up to ice the game, but their best player slowed up enough to have the ball stolen by a Rusk player who dribbled the length of the court and hit a jumper from the free throw line at the buzzer to send the game to a 2nd OT. In the 2nd frame, Rusk was down 4 with under 20 seconds when a Rusk kid hit a 3 while getting pushed in the back. Free-throw was good sending the game to the 3rdOT. With about :07 left in the game, and Rusk down 1, their back-up sophomore PG hit a running jumper to win it!

Notes from the game:

Rusk had 6 players foul out, Madisonvile 4. Had Rusk not moved two kids up from JV, they would have had to play with 4 players during the last OT. There were 95 fouls called that night. Rusk never trailed during regulation and never led in the 3 OT's until the last 7 seconds. Paramedics were called during the 2nd OT to help a man who had chest pains from the heat in the gym...it was scorching...and probably the excitement! Legendary coach, Dale Dotson, who has played in and seen battles like this said it was the craziest basketball game he had ever seen on any level! Rusk had 3 players go on to play JUCO ball and Madisonville's Chris Taylor (who scored 20 as a freshman) went on to be A&M's best receiver his senior year their. Darwin Stewart scored 50 points and was 20-21 from the free throw line for the Eagles.

Not a bad game!

I had a front row seat for this game.  Best HS game I have ever been part of.

On 2/24/2013 at 9:41 PM, SWT2000 said:

Mine is probably Bobby Taylor and Longview over Victoria in the '92 state championship game. Taylor took off from what looked like the free throw line and slammed a missed 3-pointer home with one hand. Looked like he was floating!

I believe that was Toby Bush

Hughes springs vs Queen City for regional finals everybody in gym thought Queen City made a last second shot to win but the refs waived it off and Hughes springs won.

Alo Pittsburg game cant remember who they played but the Hughes kid from Pitt and point guard from other team went at it 3 overtimes putt won

Liberty-Eylau Lady Leopards beat Abilene Wylie in 2010 for the state championship. L-E freshman Imani Wright was the game's MVP. She went on to play for Baylor and Florida State and was drafted by the WNBA. That same season L-E won its semifinal game at the regional tournament in overtime, and the championship game on a basket at the final buzzer. Both games in Austin went into OT. These girls knew how to win. I think the top seven girls on the team had a chance to play college ball. Freshman Sharde Collins went on to have great career at University of Arkansas-Little Rock and is now a coach there.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, gtee2 said:

I believe that was Toby Bush

I have a VHS copy somewhere of the 92 Longview-Victoria game recorded off the TV; I thought it would forever be the only video evidence of a Longview state champion sports team up until two weeks ago. The play he’s talking about was Bobby Taylor; it was a missed free throw, and Bobby came from outside the 3pt line and threw down the one handed dunk. That game went a lot like the football game against West Brook; we trailed almost the entire game and it seemed like we were going to let it get away, but somehow they found a way to win it.

The 92 regional final win against Waco was amazing too; Lobos trailing with less than a minute, Waco tries to lob an inbound pass over Bobby Taylor who jumps out of the gym and steals it, then dunks over two Waco players, and Longview wins it.

I used to have a season highlight video that I think Gaylon Hyder put together with early 90s hip hop music and the only editing effect available at the time which was to replay the same 3second clip of video 4 times in a row; wish I had kept that one, it was gold.

Best I’ve seen was a 2016 Girls 2A Regional Semi-Final game between Evadale & LaPoynor.  LaPoynor won 55-53 in Double OT.  My G’daughter played for Evadale and this old man’s bp must have been near a world record lol.

Best I ever coached was in 2002 at Woden. In the Regional Semi-Finals at TJC, we came back from 12 down in the last minute and a half to beat Clarksville at the buzzer 63-62. 

That team had some close calls. Beat Franklin 67-64 in OT in Area. Beat San Augustine 74-72 in Reg  Quarters and then beat Clarksville at the buzzer.