Jarrell's coach

snuffy

I was embarrassed for the town of Jarrell for the way their coach acted yesterday on the sidelines...I understand trying to light a fire under your team to spark a comeback or whatever but that was just flat awful. I am all about having a disciplined team but his over the top antics was terrible.

I did see at the end when he felt the kid he told to check in wasn't enthused enough about getting in the game so he yelled at him and then lead him to the scorers table and showed him how to check in. Spent half his timeout doing this. Of course by this time game was pretty much over and he was taking out his frustrations on this kid. It's one thing to be intense on the sideline but another to humiliate your players. He would benefit from counseling.

I did see at the end when he felt the kid he told to check in wasn't enthused enough about getting in the game so he yelled at him and then lead him to the scorers table and showed him how to check in. Spent half his timeout doing this. Of course by this time game was pretty much over and he was taking out his frustrations on this kid. It's one thing to be intense on the sideline but another to humiliate your players. He would benefit from counseling.

He should have made adjustments.

I thought his argument was legitimate about the push off. That really killed their comeback attempt. Got to prove your point to the officials. But by then, they had been beaten to death by Tatum. Fouls were 10-3 at one point in 1st half and could've been much higher on Tatum's side. That's simply the way they play.

But his kids were getting beaten and hacked to death. Had to try and do something.

I saw him lead the kid to the scorer's table when he didn't go to the right place to check in. Kid migh not've known where to go or was just trying to hurry up into the game. I was on the other side of the floor, so wasn't able to see what he said or how he said it.

I thought the way Jarrell played had a lot to do with how Tatum played today against White Oak. Jarrell gave Tatum all they could handle and more and I think it showed today. Eagles just came out flat.

I suppose some of you had rather have a coach who would sit and twiddle his thumbs while his team gets a raw deal from an official or is not playing up to their usual standards. I'll take a coach with some fire in his belly over a laid back clown any day of the week.

I suppose some of you had rather have a coach who would sit and twiddle his thumbs while his team gets a raw deal from an official or is not playing up to their usual standards. I'll take a coach with some fire in his belly over a laid back clown any day of the week.

+1

You do not have to be loud and agressive to be a good coach. It is all about motivating and there are lots of ways to do that.

You are correct..... and one of those ways is to be loud and aggressive. Each team is different and respond in different ways. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the coach, he knows his team way better than y'all know it. Not saying he is right or wrong, but I ain't one to watch a guy coach his team and decide if he's any good or not because of his tone of voice. I prefer to watch how they play. Seems they made it to the Regional semi's so something must be right.

You are correct..... and one of those ways is to be loud and aggressive. Each team is different and respond in different ways. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the coach, he knows his team way better than y'all know it. Not saying he is right or wrong, but I ain't one to watch a guy coach his team and decide if he's any good or not because of his tone of voice. I prefer to watch how they play. Seems they made it to the Regional semi's so something must be right.

My point exactly. Different ways to motivate and each team, player, and coach is different. So judge them on results not what you think they should do.

A coach has to be himself or his players will see right through him. If his personality is that he is loud and aggressive, his players expect that and adjust to it. They also respect him for being himself. I have never known a player who had any respect for a coach he thought was being a phoney. I coached for many years and I got into trouble at times for being myself but my players knew I was genuine and respected me for being myself. They also played hard for me and I think I lost one player in 27 years because he was too sensitive to adjust to my coaching style. I respect anyone for being who they are and have no use for anyone who tries to be something they are not.

Coach Sumner is as nice of a person as you can find. So what if he gets a little fired up in the heat of a regional semi-final basketball game...he's a competitor who has been EXTREMELY successful at Jarrell over the last 20+ years. Everyone coaches differently. His antics may have been a little "over the top," but you could say the same for Tatum and White Oak coaches for beating district opponents by 70+ points.

My point exactly. Different ways to motivate and each team, player, and coach is different. So judge them on results not what you think they should do.

I guess that would be like a "perfect family" watching a ballgame and all kindS of abuse takes place at home. But it's okay as long as they perform and act like they are supposed to at the game. Whatever it takes to get results. FAIL!

Some behavior by coaches are just not acceptable. I am not saying Jarrell's coach is this way.

I guess that would be like a "perfect family" watching a ballgame and all kindS of abuse takes place at home. But it's okay as long as they perform and act like they are supposed to at the game. Whatever it takes to get results. FAIL!

Some behavior by coaches are just not acceptable. I am not saying Jarrell's coach is this way.

The Fail is your Anology!!!! The coach got a little over the top, or maybe he didn't, But it is a pretty BIG LEAP from a coach coaching hard and an Abusive home!!!

TOO FAR SPACEGOLPHER!!!!

Nowhere did I say anything about abuse. And nothing I said warrants that response. A coach can be a normal person.

The Fail is your Anology!!!! The coach got a little over the top, or maybe he didn't, But it is a pretty BIG LEAP from a coach coaching hard and an Abusive home!!!

Read more carefully next time. I never said anything about coaching too hard. My example does not apply to most coaches. Use a little common sense when reading. But yes the analogy does apply to some coaches and players.

TOO FAR SPACEGOLPHER!!!!