Being a High School Athlete's Parent and Graduation

Hookemhorns88

This past Thursday my son's official athletic career ended. As he took the baton on the anchor leg of the 4x200 relay at the Area Meet in Royse City I began to tear up. Football ended in November with a play-off loss and I got emotional then but I knew that track season was still to come so the finality of it all had not set in just yet. But now it has.

It is not the sports that will be missed. It is the experience that you share with your child.

Through the years I have had the pleasure of crisscrossing the Greater East Texas area to attend his football games and track meets. It has been great to embarrass him by cheering loudly and unashamedly for him and his team. The weather was never too bad to leave work early on Friday to make sure that we were there on time for kick-off. The drive was never too far to watch him “run the curve” or “stride out the straightaway” at a track meet, albeit the experience was short because he is a sprinter (for you distance runner and field event parents, relish in the fact that your child’s event lasts longer than that of a sprinter!). Not being at an event was unthinkable. As a sports fan, and more importantly as a parent, I always thought that this is something that you just do. I understand, however, that there are other reasons or conditions that may prevent parents from attending such events. But I also know that there are also parents out there that just do not go because they choose not to. That is what I find sad and disappointing.

I have had a few days to reflect on this now. I may not continue to have the same emotional attachment because my child is not out there but I can still cheer and encourage. Some kids will move on to bigger and better things while for others their athletic achievements while in school may be as good as it gets. It is this latter group that concerns me. Since I am a die-hard sports fan I know I will still be attending sporting events. Though it may not quite be the same excitement as watching your kid compete, there are plenty of kids that need a cheering section because their parents are not there. I remember the conversations that I have had with my son during his times of discouragement and the ultimate personal success that he had by continuing on and I am proud of him for his efforts. Success can be measured in varying levels and it is not always about winning. We all know that not everyone can be the State Champ but everyone can be successful if they try their best and never give up.

So, for those of you out there that are in the same situation that I am with graduation and wondering what to do next, I encourage you to continue to yell, scream, cheer, holler, and encourage those kids out there that do not have someone cheering for them because you never know what influence you may have on a child. They may not be successful in sports but they can most definitely be successful in life with just a little encouragement.

My son knows that I am proud of him for what he has done both on and off of the field. As he goes off to college he will carry the knowledge with him that he has someone cheering for his future success as well.

Share the gift of encouragement.

Great post........ While that senior season is special, in the back of our minds we all know it is the beginning of the end.

For me that end came 10 years ago when my youngest finished his high school career; we knew he was going up to the next level, just did not know it would only last 1 year. Neither of my sons had the opportunity to play on a championship team; but they both knew they were champions in their effort. I never hugged one of them after a game that I wasn't, in turn, soaked in sweat as well. I always gave them some words of encouragement win or lose. We attended every game they played whether the weather was fair or foul. Our determination was strengthened early on when a player on the opposing team, in a JV game involving my eldest, suffered a serious leg injury and treatment was delayed because they could not find the parents. Yes, we were there on the October night when the youngest had his senior year cut one game short by a knee injury.

Through it all, I would not take for any of our experiences.

Since then, I have missed only 2 Clarksville varsity football games and no varsity district or playoff basketball games. It's not so much that I can't give it up; I just see so many kids that need someone pulling for them. Besides, I would rather attend a High School game any day rather than the NFL or NBA!

My son graduates this year also. There are no words to describe the feeling I had after I watched his last football game. Must say that was the longest ride I think I've ever driven. I will admit I cried because it was a pure pleasure watching him develop in to the player that he became.

Although his playing days will be over on the football playing field, I'm very thankful for him getting a band scholarship. So now I will be a full time band dad. Lol!

My son was fortunate in that he went on to play colliegate athletics. However, this is his senior year. He has had a great year, but now that we are wrapping up the regular season and the playoffs are about to begin, I realize that each Friday night might be the last time I will ever see him pitch and I am taking it a lot harder than he is.

91Tiger you've got to stick with me man...........

Remember it says "for life"

By the way, you should be quite proud of your son; I truly feel that if he were 2 or 3 inches taller some small college would want a good LB.

However; it is great that he is multitalented and getting an education on a band scholarship as well. I will certainly be keeping up with him.

91Tiger you've got to stick with me man...........

Remember it says "for life"

By the way, you should be quite proud of your son; I truly feel that if he were 2 or 3 inches taller some small college would want a good LB.

However; it is great that he is multitalented and getting an education on a band scholarship as well. I will certainly be keeping up with him.

Thanks 73. You know I will be in the press box on Friday nights. I will still have a daughter who will be in the band.

Don't shed too many tears! I felt the same way. Raised all my kids, playing all sports, and it didn't hit me that I would ever be sad about not having to go to games. When the last one was a senior, it began to sink in. However, the oldest grandchild began jr hi sports the next year and then varsity sports, and now I have 2 more in jr hi sports, and that one in all varsity sports, so I am still attending sports events more than one night a week! Considering the alternative, I think I won't complain and just keep going to volleyball, football, baseball and basketball games, as well as tennis and track meets. Not to mention all that select stuff that they play in year around. And if the truth's known, I'd probably be there whether they were playing or not!