TOP 3 BASEBALL PROGRAMS IN EAST TX?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Carthage fan, I would have to say recent history is on PG side...what they have done over the last 5 years is nothing short of amazing.

Carthage has a great program and is consistently good, and I would say our program is definitely top 10.

There are a lot of great programs in the area, I would be hard pressed to rank them.

PG is probably #1. Not as strong this year but have their playoff face one. Being around the little league programs, there are many more great years ahead. They take it serious

No doubt they take it serious. The current sophmore class had no fewer than 3 travel teams playing USSSA from 6th-8th grade. In additon they fielded probably 4 dixie teams, and prior to that they were probably playing PGYA which probably has as much support as the HS team and a little league field that rivals some of the super nice fields in Dallas. Heck, the neighborhood I used to live in had at least three or four yards with batting cages, and it wasn't uncommon hearing those aluminum bats after sundown. There is a lot of time spent on baseball in TK.

As a Carthage fan, I would have to say recent history is on PG side...what they have done over the last 5 years is nothing short of amazing.

Carthage has a great program and is consistently good, and I would say our program is definitely top 10.

There are a lot of great programs in the area, I would be hard pressed to rank them.

I think head to head, Carthage is our toughest E Tex opponent.

I believe at 6-6 they have the best record playing us over this past decade.

Consistency, and a ring.

Hughes Springs is on my list as of late.

I think head to head, Carthage is our toughest E Tex opponent.

I believe at 6-6 they have the best record playing us over this past decade.

Consistency, and a ring.

Hughes Springs is on my list as of late.

I know Genoa Central is actually in Ark. But they are close enough to e tex for me & they have battled us (and won) the past couple of years.

scoutfortheshow, on 13 May 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:snapback.png

Explain why

1. Karnack

2. Clarksville

3. Leggett

Good explaination.

I know Clarksville has had some good seasons.

Is there any more we could add that would compare these programs to the aforementioned?

Pleasant Grove has to be No. 1. They're going after sixth straight trip to Austin. Who else has ever done that?

PG is the best hands down, no competition. Hughes Springs is a distant second. A team from Texarkana has played in the final for in class 3A starting with LE and the teams that Will Middlebrooks played on two years straight in the finals with one championship and PG has been in the final four every year since then. They will either tie the record or break the record if they make it back this year. No other East Texas team can make that claim.

Pleasant Grove has a great program and much credit is due to their coaches. They really have got it going when it counts this year and have a chance to make it back to state again. But let's be honest, they really benefitted from some move- ins this year after losing so much last year. Their game one and game two starters in the playoffs weren't even on this team last year. They were fortunate to get the Jeans kid from Arkansas High and the Willige kid moved back from Louisiana to play for the Hawks after having previously played and pitched for Texas High last year. Having the Silvey kid come over from Arkansas High as a position player and pitcher has helped also. That program just knows how to win and does a great job of bringing up younger kids and plugging in new additions and keeps rolling. Good luck Hawks and keep the state tournament appearances going!

. But let's be honest, they really benefitted from some move- ins this year after losing so much last year.

I agree, However...

Let's not forget those great Texas High football teams that MORE than benefited from move-ins (transfers actually from Pleasant Grove :-) the starting QB, Fullback and a top linebacker to name a few. How about LE in football, baseball AND softball with the Middlebrooks pair move-in/transfer. And let's face it... Ryan Mallett sorta/kinda lived in Ark. Sorta... When you have a great thing going, that's where people wanna be. Don't think for a second it doesn't happen in other great programs.

I agree, However...

Let's not forget those great Texas High football teams that MORE than benefited from move-ins (transfers actually from Pleasant Grove :-) the starting QB, Fullback and a top linebacker to name a few. How about LE in football, baseball AND softball with the Middlebrooks pair move-in/transfer. And let's face it... Ryan Mallett sorta/kinda lived in Ark. Sorta... When you have a great thing going, that's where people wanna be. Don't think for a second it doesn't happen in other great programs.

So true

For what it's worth, here's my Two Cents <s'posd to be a funny.

When you say "current top programs," I believe this as meaning a program has enjoyed a lot of recent success at a high level, and also shows strong indications of continuing with similar success for a number of years.

With that being said, I don't see how Texarkana Pleasant Grove is not tops on the list.

Here's why:

Past Five Years = Two State Championships and One State Runner-up. Five consecutive Regional Championships (ties a UIL record).

Regional Playoff Record during six-year run including current year: 44-3 < THAT right there is phenomenal and most indicative. This is the record vs other Region teams at a HIGH LEVEL, and when it counts most. This is undeniable.

Also, their state tourney record is 5-3 over last five years. Pretty danged hard to find any school in the STATE who has even played EIGHT state tourney games over the past five years.

I know Carthage, Central Heights and Hughes Springs are very strong. Carthage specifically has been strong for many years, so the long-haul category goes to the Bulldogs.

What other 3a schools have a feeder program like PG's? NONE!!!!! PG baseball has been near the top since inception of PGHS. When PG built a HS they played in the regionals year 1!!!!!! 2 years later they were in Austin. Yes the past 5 years have been remarkable but it has and always will be a great program because of what kind of baseball player is being fed into the HS. Jones said in the paper.......great youth baseball. Yes a few move ins have helped this year but this is the first year PG baseball has used the "move in" player.

Best program: easily PG followed by Brook Hill and Carthage

Best team: 2009 Texas High. That team was absolutely loaded

Don't know about that one. The 1990 Carthage Team is the baseball equivalent to '83 Daingerfield