Red Snappers

Five0pd310

The Texas gulf coast charter boat owners just won a lawsuit against the federal gov't because of their unfair treatment of Texas and Louisiana (suspected punishment from political disagreements) in regards to the red snapper seasons. Florida was granted a snapper season twice as long as Texas for no other reason than Florida bowed down to the feds on other topics. The federal judge ruled that the seasons should be the same. So it appears that Texas' 12 day season will be extended and last from June 1-27. I booked a fishing trip this morning for July 7th, so I'm too late regardless, but just thought I'd let y'all know in case you were looking to book a snapper trip this year and could find a company that wasn't already booked.

That's great news for fishermen and the charter boat owners. I haven't been in a couple of years, but I'd like to go again.

We had a good trip last year. I think my 11 year old out-fished everyone on the boat. This year we'll have to settle for vermilions and groupers, but I'm not worried about that. Maybe I can hook onto a shark or something.

I think it was three years ago, I fought a very large hammerhead for almost an hour. I got it to the boat twice and the skipper was going to shoot it the second time but it got under the boat and broke off. I thought my arms were going to fall off. I was really disappointed we didn't get it in the boat and get pictures. The skipper said it was probably at least 600-800 lps and about 10 ft long.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang I didn't realize the season was that short. I was wanting to book a trip for me and my girlfriend....guess I'm probably too late. We took my boat down to Sabine Pass this past weekend for trout/redfish/flounder. We didn't catch any specks but we got into the big bull reds until we were tired of catching them. Biggest one was a monster 43" red my gf caught.

I used to go on those red snapper trips back in the day when you could actually keep a fair number of them. Now the restrictions are so tight it's ridiculous.

Dang I didn't realize the season was that short. I was wanting to book a trip for me and my girlfriend....guess I'm probably too late. We took my boat down to Sabine Pass this past weekend for trout/redfish/flounder. We didn't catch any specks but we got into the big bull reds until we were tired of catching them. Biggest one was a monster 43" red my gf caught.

I used to go on those red snapper trips back in the day when you could actually keep a fair number of them. Now the restrictions are so tight it's ridiculous.

Completely agree. It's not like the fish is endangered either. They the feds just insist on having their hands on everything. Besides, it's not like father and son going out to catch snappers on the weekend are going to destroy the ecosystem. It's the commercials units going out and taking millions and millions of pounds of fish. They're going after the wrong folks if it's the ecosystem they're worried about.