Position: D

Stats: TAPPS All-State Second Team

DESTIN WILKINS

School: Whitehouse

Class: Senior

Position: F

Stats: 20 goals, 11 assists

Honorable Mention

Athens:  Bryant Castaneda, Sr., Enrique Rodriguez, Jr., Alfredo Vazquez, Sr., Jordy Castaneda, Fr., Juan Mota, Jr., Kody Ingham, Sr., Johnny Gonzalez, Sr.; Bishop Gorman: Luke Ryder, Jr., Tyler Lamance, Sr.; Martin Guzman, Fr., Brook Hill: Gyuhyo Choi, Jr., Michael Ann, Sr., T.J. Dunks, Sr., Kyle Regester, So., Kemp Walker, Sr.; Chapel Hill: Edgar Espinoza, Sr., Isai Torrescano, Sr.; Grace Community: Jordan Dyess, Jr.; Hallsville: Jordan Edgar, Jamil Young, Arturo Rodriguez, Alan Alvarado, Dalton Heinsohn, Seth Krider; Henderson: Alex Jaime; Jacksonville: Levi Santana, Mustafa Ziedan; John Tyler: Juan Cornejo, Sr., Noe Diaz, Sr., Gerardo Lopez, Sr.; Kilgore: Benito Bustos, Andrew Espinosa, Collin Nutt; Alexis Torres; Lindale: Shane Edmondson, Sr., Dylan Tiiman, Sr., Jesse Emberley, Sr., Lane Casey, Sr.; Longview: Tyler Vincent, Leo Perez; Alan Flores, Eduardo Barron; Mabank: Jhon Leon, Sr., Caleb Massengale, Sr.; Mount Pleasant: Ventura Yanez, Sr.; Jose Molina, Soph., Edgar Ramirez, Jr., Reynaldo Martinez, Jose Garcia Sr.; Nacogdoches: Rudy Fuentes, Soph., Enrique Acevedo, Jr., Fredie Barboza, Soph., Modesto Corpus, Sr., Manuel Morales, Soph.; Palestine: Jose Cabrera, Sr., Brandon Fierro, Jr., Cass French, Soph., Pablo Aguilar, Soph., Alec Mars; Pine Tree: Christian Gill, Jared Jimenez, Christian Jordan, Juan Paz; Pittsburg: Eduardo Benites, Sr., Oscar Cisneros, Jr., Daniel Silva, Jr., Marcos Carrillo, Sr.; Robert E. Lee: Michael Wilkins, Sr., Uriel Chavez, Sr., Case Carnes, Jr., Giovanni Sosa, Sr., George Martinez, Sr.; Spring Hill: Jaime Jimenez; Whitehouse: Parker Baskin, Soph., Travis Blackburn, Jr.

2013 All-East Texas Girls Soccer Team

Most Valuable Player

SAVANNAH HENDERSON

School: Mabank

Stats: Scored school-record 75 goals in one season, District 31-4A MVP

Newcomer of the Year

ALLIE WERNER

School: All Saints

Class: Freshman

Stats: 28 goals, 12 assists; TAPPS All-State First Team

Coach of the Year

DAVID COLLINS

School: Bullard Brook Hill

Stats: Led the Lady Guard to a TAPPS Division III state title in program’s second year of TAPPS.

First Team

ARI ASSAD

School: Brook Hill

Class: Sophomore

Stats: TAPPS All-State First Team

LANIE BENNETT

School: Kilgore

Class: Junior

Stats: 10 goals, 32-4A Def. POY

LANIE BENNETT

School: Kilgore

Stats: 10 goals, 32-4A Def. POY

LACEE BLAKELEY

School: Hallsville

Stats: 23 goals, 19 assists

AMANDA CABRERA

School: Pine Tree

Position: MF

Stats: 20 goals, 9 assists

LAUREN HALL

School: Longview

Stats: 10 goals, 8 assists

JULIA HARRISON

School: Robert E. Lee

Position: MF/D

Stats: 7 goals, 12-5A First Team

BRITTANY MATTHEWS

Stats: 22 goals, 5 assists

RAVEN PARTIN

School: Henderson

Position: GK

Stats: 32-4A Keeper of the Year

YELSI ROSALES

School: John Tyler

Stats: 31-4A Defensive POY

AMANDA WALLIN

Position: F/MF

Stats: 20 goals, 9 assists

KENDALL WELLS

Stats: 20 goals, 13 assists

Second Team

HAYLEY DUMESNIL

Stats: 15 goals,10 assists

KATIE MANN

School: Lindale

Stats: 20 goals, 6 assists

JENNA MCCARTY

School: Nacogdoches

Position: MF/D

Stats: 35-4A Most Valuable Player

MARISA NESBITT

Stats: 31-4A Co-Newcomer of Year

ALEX PAYNE

School: Chapel Hill

Stats: 31-4A Midfielder of the Year

IMELDA PINA

School: Mount Pleasant

Stats: 29-4A Defensive Player of Year

EMILY SHELTON

Stats: 32-4A Utility Player of the Year

ANNA SOLIS

Stats: 32-4A Defensive Player of Year

BAILEY SWAIN

School: Mabank

Position: GK

Stats: .86 goals against average

SYDNEY TILLMAN

School: Lindale

Stats: 38 goals, 13 assists

XOCHITI ZAVALA

School: Palestine

Stats: 20 goals, 12 assists

Honorable Mention

All Saints: Mackenzie Ferguson, Jr.; Athens: Cori Earnest, Brielle Patton; Brook Hill: Janet Nwachukwu, So., Lily Cool, Jr., Hayden Langemeier, Jr.; Bishop Gorman: Ce Ce Guzman, Jr., Kristian Loving, Fr.; Carthage: Kendi Hemphill, Sr.; Chapel Hill: Caity Emmons, Sr., Janika Kokko, Kristen Pence; Grace Community: Rilee Miller, Sr.; Caroline Rook, Sr.; Hallsville: Alexis Smith, Sr., Erin Reynolds, Sr., Olivia Stanton, Jr., MaKenzie Dudley, So., Cassie Perry, So.; Jacksonville: Kennison Chambless, Sr., Callie Reagan, So., Christina Belk, Sr., Jasmin Rodriguez, Jr.; John Tyler: Adrianna Perez, Rebecca Renteria, Esperanza Zavaleta; Kilgore: Nichole Flores, Jr., Kaity Stoner, Sr., Sarah Mendenhall, Sr.; Lindale: Sarah McGregor, Sr., Brooklyn Van Winkle; Longview: Jennifer Boudreau, Sr., Rhejanne Durrant, Jr., Chelsea McHenry, Keeley Bowles, Sr. Aide Godoy, Jr; Mabank: Allie Duke-Sandlin, Vivian Duong, Samantha Gomez, Kacie Williams; Mount Pleasant: Mayra Martinez, Sr., Priscilla Dela Riva, Jr., Alina Luna, Sr., Judith Salazar, Sr.; Nacogdoches: Lori Manchack, So., Piper Adkins, So., Cindy Hernandez, Jr., Victoria Hetrick, Jr.; Palestine: Danielle Harroff, Jr., Alex Rocha, So., Karina Rodas, Jr., Nidia Umanzon, Sr., Pine Tree: Devin Assenheimer, Sr., Lilly Cabrera, So., Brittany Hollis, Sr., Kaiti Lawrence, Sr., Victoria Flores, Jr.; Robert E. Lee: Brooke Johnston, Sr.; Libby George, Sr.; Spring Hill: Destiny Walker, Fr., Sofia Hadley, So.; Whitehouse: Kira Brune, Sr., Bonnie Cotton, Becca Garcia, Tara Johnson.

First of all - congrats to all those mentioned on the teams above.

Not sure of the process for selecting the teams but I am sure those making up the team know that Texarkana is part of East Texas. Maybe the coaches first had to nominate their players and were negligent in promoting their kids. If that is the issue and they were contacted, then shame on the coaches. No one on either the boys or girls teams at Texas High or Pleasant Grove made even honorable mention.

On the boys side, Michael Stanley of Texas High, was an MVP of 29-4A. I note their are 9 boys from 29-4A noted above, but an MPV is excluded.

On the girls side, both Texas High and Pleasant Grove had strong girls programs and dominated the 1st and 2nd teams all-district for 29-4A (including the superlatives). None are mentioned on the lists above however 5 girls from Mt Pleasant that were winless against the aforementioned teams are mentioned. In addition, Hallsville has 6 girls mentioned even thought they lost to Texas High in the area round.

Again congrats to those mentioned, but the list seems incomplete to this reader.

Not sure of the process for selecting the teams but I am sure those making up the team know that Texarkana is part of East Texas. Maybe the coaches first had to nominate their players and were negligent in promoting their kids. If that is the issue and they were contacted, then shame on the coaches. No one on either the boys or girls teams at Texas High or Pleasant Grove made even honorable mention.

On the boys side, Michael Stanley of Texas High, was an MVP of 29-4A. I note their are 9 boys from 29-4A noted above, but an MPV is excluded.

On the girls side, both Texas High and Pleasant Grove had strong girls programs and dominated the 1st and 2nd teams all-district for 29-4A (including the superlatives). None are mentioned on the lists above however 5 girls from Mt Pleasant that were winless against the aforementioned teams are mentioned. In addition, Hallsville has 6 girls mentioned even thought they lost to Texas High in the area round.

Again congrats to those mentioned, but the list seems incomplete to this reader.

Don't guess they got the memo. G-wiz

You can submit your info but doesnt mean they are gonna pick them. Longview's goalie was 2nd team 5a All State, 1st team all region, 5a Goalie of year, and got 2nd team All east Texas. Longview had 3 boys on the 1st team All region team and got Honorable Mention All East texas. Not bitter but rather not turn in names next year to Tyler and make an All East texas Team with the Longview News paper instead. I think All East Texas means all the Top players with the top honors. ON a different note, CONGRATS TO JD PERALES FOR A MUCH NEEDED AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not very often are kids in high school soccer recognized in the media compared to other sports. It is a very difficult process to narrow down all the deserving players down to such a small number of players from such a large area. I think their will always be deserving kids left out due to the above metioned difficulties. I think that it is a cool deal regardless and just encourage everyone to stay positive about Tyler at least trying to honor kids playing our sport. Also I would like to encourage the coaches from the east texas area to be creative and try to figure out a way to honor the east texas soccer players togethor on some kind of coaches all east texas soccer teams, both pre season and end of the season.

I have no knowledge but suspect that no coach in Bowie County received an email. The reason, Texarkana is not in the TMT circulation area. Most papers doing "All Area Teams" are understood to be in the circulation area. When you say "All East Texas", it should be reasonably investigated by the paper. There are kids that the coaches in their districts have voted them to be an MVP, while those from the district not receiving that vote being mentioned.

Maybe next year it will be properly called the TMN All Area Team.

Again I applaud those making the list.

When they do all state teams they get their info from the coaches. Do you think they send people across the state to check people out? NO WAY!

Its not the job of the paper to get info. Your coaches have to nominate the kids to get recognized. Now they should know so there is NO EXCUSES. Your coaches prolly knew but didnt submit in a timely matter.

It is NOT the job of the Paper to get information? What?

Seems odd, that IS their job. They are in the news business. They investigate, seek information, and report.

If a person merely waits on news to be sent to them, so they can cut and paste, they are not much of a reporter!

On the other hand, how can a Coach nominate someone for an award, when they are not aware of how to?

I do not know whether or not they received the information request.

You assume much with respect to the coaches knowing, but not acting.

Perhaps you can share HOW it is you know this.

It means something to the kids to be acknlowledged in their field, but I long ago told mine, that the system is what it is.

If you get recognized for something, great.

If not, it was not necessarily that you were not deserving, but an imperfect system of reporting or bias.

In the long run, if you are of a certain calibre, you will get what you deserve on talent.

If not, it won't matter in the long run.

You are corect when it comes to football and other main stories. We are talking about soccer here and I don't believe they are burning up the phone lines for information. That is why coaches need to bust a gut to find different things so their kids can get recognized. I see your point futbol man but futbol is totally different beast.

• 3 weeks later...

When they do all state teams they get their info from the coaches. Do you think they send people across the state to check people out? NO WAY!

Its not the job of the paper to get info. Your coaches have to nominate the kids to get recognized. Now they should know so there is NO EXCUSES. Your coaches prolly knew but didnt submit in a timely matter.

Still didn't answer his question.

Instead of looking to blame the coaches, consider the media.

This isn't all-state, which is not done by a "newspaper"

This is a newspaper not doing it's job of actually doing some work, and seeking out the news.

You assume a lot saying the coach probably knew, and didn't send anything in.

Since you have no knowledge, it is just your guess or opinion.

Based on the history of that area's papers, I would offer the counterpoint that they did NOT send the requests for information to Texarkana, or bother to ask the coaches they did for the district results.

The PG coach was only in his third season, and the THS coach in his first. Quite possible they are not informed as to ALL the possible venues for accolades for the players.

You are right, Futbol is not respected like the "major" sports, but that does not excuse laziness on a reporter or newspaper's part.

It just shows their lack of respect for their craft, or for the teams they show contempt to as not being worthy of attention.

Mount Pleasant is just as far away, so it is not a distance or readership boundary.

• 2 weeks later...

Still didn't answer his question.

Instead of looking to blame the coaches, consider the media.

This isn't all-state, which is not done by a "newspaper"

This is a newspaper not doing it's job of actually doing some work, and seeking out the news.

You assume a lot saying the coach probably knew, and didn't send anything in.

Since you have no knowledge, it is just your guess or opinion.

Based on the history of that area's papers, I would offer the counterpoint that they did NOT send the requests for information to Texarkana, or bother to ask the coaches they did for the district results.

The PG coach was only in his third season, and the THS coach in his first. Quite possible they are not informed as to ALL the possible venues for accolades for the players.

You are right, Futbol is not respected like the "major" sports, but that does not excuse laziness on a reporter or newspaper's part.

It just shows their lack of respect for their craft, or for the teams they show contempt to as not being worthy of attention.

Mount Pleasant is just as far away, so it is not a distance or readership boundary.

I know for a fact that MP's Coach made contact with The tyler newspaper last year after the MP vs John Tyler playoff game as I witnessed it. I almost hate to say it but if you guys feel like your kids deserve recognition then follow MP coaches lead and contact the people who are doing the recognizing and make the case for the player or players that you feel should be recognized. Or get the coach of your school to do it.

First of all the paper needs to define the districts that comprise East Texas. From there the UIL has a list of "District Chairs". It seems to me that the paper, at a minimum, could contact the District Chair and get the "Superlatives" and district recognized players. At that point they can select their team and yes people can and will complain. But at least they would have had a system.

My complaint is a kid was named MVP in his district and did not receive an honorable mention. This individual was honored by district coaches that witnessed his play. The district he played may or may not be the best district in East Texas. So I will not argue that he should be first team as I do not know. But when other players from the district are listed and his name is omitted, I think there is an issue.

What I hear some saying is this is a popularity or political list - I agree with them.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all the paper needs to define the districts that comprise East Texas. From there the UIL has a list of "District Chairs". It seems to me that the paper, at a minimum, could contact the District Chair and get the "Superlatives" and district recognized players. At that point they can select their team and yes people can and will complain. But at least they would have had a system.

My complaint is a kid was named MVP in his district and did not receive an honorable mention. This individual was honored by district coaches that witnessed his play. The district he played may or may not be the best district in East Texas. So I will not argue that he should be first team as I do not know. But when other players from the district are listed and his name is omitted, I think there is an issue.

What I hear some saying is this is a popularity or political list - I agree with them.

+1

When the Mount Pleasant Coach is there for years, and makes deep playoff runs, and already knows about the "team", it is easy for him to talk to the paper when they run into him in Tyler.

The point being missed here is the inconsistency of the "work" of the "reporters" is them NOT doing THEIR job., or being consistent with it.

If a newspaper is going to report a team as it does, it IS incumbent on them to do the footwork. At the very least, contact the coaches, and have them submit candidates for discussion.

Presuming the coach to be lazy or at fault is nonsense.

That dog don't hunt...

• 4 months later...

New coach in town, I better run and tell him not to forget to call the paper in Longview, and do their job for them at the end of the season.

They might not have been told that they have to go out and look for the news, the news does not call them.

New coach in town, I better run and tell him not to forget to call the paper in Longview, and do their job for them at the end of the season.

They might not have been told that they have to go out and look for the news, the news does not call them.

Now you know how its done so the coach has no excuse when they don't call their players name into the paper. Its a little of both. Some coaches don't do their job and some reporters aren't the best.

I do know that the paper is scaled down quite a bit from recent years. We all love soccer and we all know the lack of respect soccer receives in good old East Texas.

Sorry you didn't get the sarcasm, I was still harping on a newspaper for not doing their job. it is incumbent on them to look for the information.

Of course, you are right, it doesn't work, because they do not, so the coach needs to be proactive. Last year the THS Coach had the District MVP on his team, but because he was new, he did not know about many such things. This year may not be any different for Texarkana, because it is not in their readership, and the players who deserve the accolades are few.

As it is, we don't get coverage from Shreveport, either, so it is not as hard to accept.

Sorry you didn't get the sarcasm, I was still harping on a newspaper for not doing their job. it is incumbent on them to look for the information.

Of course, you are right, it doesn't work, because they do not, so the coach needs to be proactive. Last year the THS Coach had the District MVP on his team, but because he was new, he did not know about many such things. This year may not be any different for Texarkana, because it is not in their readership, and the players who deserve the accolades are few.

As it is, we don't get coverage from Shreveport, either, so it is not as hard to accept.

I got the sarcasm.......just not a lot sympathy to be honest. My coach always found a way to get us recognized.