All East Texas Softball is a JOKE

Cat51993

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the shortstop from Beckville can only make HM after watching her play,then this information from the news-journal can be used for toilet paper.

Don't be a hater. Don't know anything about your daughter, but its tough to pick a All ET team with players from 1A - 5A. If Beckville is a 1A school (I'm not sure) its even tougher.

Be happy she was recognized.

I dont even live in Beckville but have friends that coach.on.all levels and say she is the real deal. Had a friend at the state.tournament and said she could.start on any team.at tournament 1a-5a.

true statement

Thanks for both of your opinions. By the way she hit over 500 and was never thrown out stealing bases. Played 12 games with 3a 4a 5a competition.last post she is a great player that got shafted on this list imo.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the Longview News Journal All East Texas Teams, not Smoaky. Second, Cats51993 isn't her dad , not sure who it is, but I know it isn't him, but, I am her uncle and will say that she is the most humble person you will ever meet. She is not one to say " why did this person get this and I didn't ?' She goes out and just plays ball. I may be a little biased in my opinion, but I think she is pretty good and would say she could play on any team 1-A through 5-A. She made 1st team all state, 1st team all State Tournament and now holds the record for most triples in a game at the tournament for a single game (2). She is hell on the bases (she is about 147 out of 150 on stolen bases the past 3 years) and she batted over 600 this year and over 500 as a sophomore and has batted lead off all 3 years. But, like I said, I may be a little biased !

While I understand that the voting on any superlative team; not matter if its all stars, all district or any other, can be highly political, here are the numbers for the SS position that made first and second team in the all East Texas softball team. Hard to argue with these numbers:

First team .622 BA, 9 HR, 49 RBIs, 15 2B, 3 3B, 9 SB, 1.112 slugging percentage, 66 R

Second team: .577 BA, 3 HR, 15 RBIs, 3 2B, 3 3B, 52 R, 55 SB, .740 OB percentage

She will be going into her Sr. Year this upcoming year. I know people will say she still has another year to get awards and what not, and that is true. She will not complain about not getting this or that, and that is not what I was trying to do either. I was just "backing up" what other people were saying about her since i have watched her play the last 3 years.

I believe Beckville's shortstop had better numbers on all except maybe RBI's and HR's , but she batted leadoff .

From UIL state softball tournament website this is the info on the SS for Beckville:

27 Taylor Lindsay Junior SS .536 (batting average)

Those superlative teams are picked strictly off of stats sent in by the coach. The sports editor very rarely sees any girls play, they look at stats, see who has the best numbers in overall categories and it goes to the stand.

How about number of papers sold in the player's town, don't that figure in the stats some where. Also if you just go on stats, player could have played a week non-district, been in an even weaker district come out with a 700 average and the three games in the bi district loss where the player went 0 for 10 brought the average down.

In other words; number of play-off games and post district stats should count a little more.

Well if "writers" just look at the "stats".......a movie comes to mind....."Trouble with the Curve".....Stats look good...but sometimes you have to see in person.....This will show MY AGE....Many moons ago...a very good sports writer named Garrett Von Netzer (sp)......smoaky may know of him.....use to have an All Top of Texas team for almost every sport...football, basketball, track....he would go by many different criteria......and even then people would dispute....he would then always come back in his column and make this statement..."If you don't like my list, get a sports writing job, write your own column, get your backside chewed on just like me...Now you still want MY JOB?"....I know we all want "Little Suzie Q" to get her recognition....but as some on here have said....There are alot of young ladies or guys that are good players but to be "Best of Where ever"...only a select few will make the list.....guess we can go to the "New Liberal" idea...just make everyone..."All East Texas"....that way everyone would get recognition....our perceptions of our kids and our players have become contorted.....sorry for my ramble

level of competition plays into it as well, i'd bet...figuring a 4 or 5A players faces better pitching (batting avg) and better catchers (stolen bases) on a regular basis than most 1a players do....no offense to this girl,just the law of averages, good luck to her next year