1. 1. What is your favorite?

• El Chico
    • Papacitas
    • Superior Bar & Grill
    • Posados
    • Jalapeno Tree
    • Nicky's
    • Pancho's

There is a place on New Boston Rd here in Texarkana, great Tacos and Pozole, but like there, only on weekends. I prefer it to menudo, don't care for tripe.

Learned to make discada from an old scouting acquaintance, that will beef you up for sure! made on a real tractor disc, too!

I never go to Texarkana, but I'll have to find some pozole. I've never had it.

You're right about the discada. I think each taco = 5 pounds added to the gut. That's why I get the bistec or the fish tacos. I still get the menudo, though. I don't care how bad it is for me. lol

• 1 month later...

La Familia in Fort Worth, located in the West 7th area. Very good, and authentic. Al does have Tex-Mex items on the menu as well, but in the DFW area, if you don't have that type of food on your menu, and you are a Mexican food restaurant, you will not have a very large clientele base that will frequent your place. Just the way it is.

The one thing that makes this place one of my favorites in DFW is that everything is completely fresh...no canned items, and nothing kept the next day. In fact, Al told me one time when I was in there that "the only cans in the kitchen are Mexi-cans." LOL!

Another really good place is Taco Diner...yes, it is part of a chain. Parent company is the M Group, which also owns the Mi Cocina, and the Mercury Chop House restaurants. But....Taco Diner is a bit different than Mi Cocina because it focuses primarily on tacos of all varieties, styles, and tastes. Excellent quality, and the service is always superb, at least at the one I frequent, located in the West Village area of Dallas, just north of Downtown.

• 5 years later...
1 minute ago, SideTracker said:

It's all Texans have! I know what you are saying about "real" Mexican food however. Pancho's was a place one could really pig out, more like blow one's guts out! Personally I'm glad I wised up to re-fried beans once I learned most reputable Mexican food joints offer Charro  beans in place of lard laden re-fried beans. One thing about Panchos, those soapy pillows were quite tasty fresh out of the fry and filled with honey. Thinking back on blowing the guts out days, Pancho's chile rellenos were righteous as well. 💩

Oh you poor soul. 

Props on spelling chile correctly. 

If you want a true sopapilla experience you need to come west. 

19 minutes ago, SideTracker said:

I "googled" chile just to make sure. BTW, I much prefer red or green chile sauce over mole. Moles, those are the critters than can destroy one's yard. Just the thought, no mole for me. 

Chile is a regular part of my diet. 

If I go to a restaurant I will order my chile christmas. 

11 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

Poncho's was my favorite place to eat growing up.  Used to love raising that mexican flag for more cheese enchiladas.  Tru storie.

Then spell it right.  I still eat there on 45 and Tidwell in Houston.  There is also one at 59 and 1960.  It's not true Mexican Food, but it's Tex Mex as it was intended to be.  Yes they do serve charro beans and menudo on Saturday and Sunday.  I don't eat tripe, so...  I have eaten at the original Pancho's in El Paso, Longview (where I grew up with Crazy Mary and the gang), Tyler, Bossier City, Arlington across from Six Flags got my hand stamped went for more rides and never threw up, DeSoto, Mesquite, Albequerque, NM, and Bossier City, LA.  Me and Freddie swear by the place :  

1 minute ago, DaveTV1 said:

Then spell it right.  I still eat there on 45 and Tidwell in Houston.  There is also one at 59 and 1960.  It's not true Mexican Food, but it's Tex Mex as it was intended to be.  Yes they do serve charro beans and menudo on Saturday and Sunday.  I don't eat tripe, so...  I have eaten at the original Pancho's in El Paso, Longview (where I grew up with Crazy Mary and the gang), Tyler, Bossier City, Arlington across from Six Flags got my hand stamped went for more rides and never threw up, DeSoto, Mesquite, Albequerque, NM, and Bossier City, LA.  Me and Freddie swear by the place :  

Sorry. Haha been so long since I've been there I'd forgotten.

3 hours ago, SideTracker said:

It's all Texans have! I know what you are saying about "real" Mexican food however. Pancho's was a place one could really pig out, more like blow one's guts out! Personally I'm glad I wised up to re-fried beans once I learned most reputable Mexican food joints offer Charro  beans in place of lard laden re-fried beans. One thing about Panchos, those soapy pillows were quite tasty fresh out of the fry and filled with honey. Thinking back on blowing the guts out days, Pancho's chile rellenos were righteous as well. 💩

We once had El Chico, El Charro, Monterrey House, Lupe's, Gonzalo's, Carlito's, and several others, but growing up in Texas there were only three El Chico, Pancho's, and Monterrey House with the goat milk candy at the bottom of the chips.  True Tex Mex.  

26 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Sorry. Haha been so long since I've been there I'd forgotten.

Come down to Houston for lunch, and you'll get your fill of chile rellenos, flautas, enchiladas (cheese, beef, tex mex, sour cream, or chicken), red or green stew, taquitos, tacos (pollo y carne), guacamole,  rice and refried or charro beans, chimichangas, fried chicken on certain days, tortilla soup, mole, carne asada, carne guisada, nachos,  and heck I can't even get to desert after all of that.  Usually jello, pudding, tres leche cake, flan, soft serve ice cream, crud what else all for $7.99 for lunch or $8.99 for supper and the weekends.  I tear that stuff up, and never been sick from eating there.  I do have to loosen my belt a notch after eating there.  Go pay your $15.99 for two enchiladas, rice and beans, and hot sauce and chips, or the tacos that aren't even worth eating at a taco truck that sells them for $1 each.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 38boot said:

Chile is a regular part of my diet. 

If I go to a restaurant I will order my chile christmas. 

If you live in West Texas just get those Hatch chile's yourself.  I like a good green chile burger that are served over there.  I never understood the flat faced enchilada's with egg on top except for breakfast.  

17 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

If you live in West Texas just get those Hatch chile's yourself.  I like a good green chile burger that are served over there.  I never understood the flat faced enchilada's with egg on top except for breakfast.  

I don’t live in Texas. Just recently stepped away from coaching football. I have some family in Texas. 

Really great people in Hatch. Not the only place to get green chile though. Chile roasting season is the best because the smell of chile being roasted is everywhere. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 🌮 Your Favorite Mexican Restaurant
9 hours ago, SideTracker said:

Burger King now has a $1 taco. Guaranteed to blow one's guts out. I tried one just for grins. It reminded me of the old Jack In The Box taco. 💩

They've had tacos for a while.  For a burger joint they're better than Jack in the Box, but they can't beat Dairy Queen.  Dairy Queen barely edges out Taco Bell, but that's not saying much.  When I want cheap tacos I'll go down to Pancho's where you get 4 for $2.99.  I always buy a roma tomato and dice it up before I go, because they just come with beef, lettuce, and cheddar cheese.  Tacos at most other Tex Mex joints taste about the same to me from Pappasitio's, Mercado's, On the Border, Posado's, Lupe Tortilla, Ninfa's, El Fenix, Cantina Laredo, Abuelo's, Torchy's, and you name it.  One place I will never go again is Chuy's.  That is Cal-Mex to me.  It tastes nothing like Tex-Mex.  The best authentic Mexican food I've ever ate was a Tierra de Fuego in Dallas off Northwest Highway.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

They've had tacos for a while.  For a burger joint they're better than Jack in the Box, but they can't beat Dairy Queen.  Dairy Queen barely edges out Taco Bell, but that's not saying much.  When I want cheap tacos I'll go down to Pancho's where you get 4 for $2.99.  I always buy a roma tomato and dice it up before I go, because they just come with beef, lettuce, and cheddar cheese.  Tacos at most other Tex Mex joints taste about the same to me from Pappasitio's, Mercado's, On the Border, Posado's, Lupe Tortilla, Ninfa's, El Fenix, Cantina Laredo, Abuelo's, Torchy's, and you name it.  One place I will never go again is Chuy's.  That is Cal-Mex to me.  It tastes nothing like Tex-Mex.  The best authentic Mexican food I've ever ate was a Tierra de Fuego in Dallas off Northwest Highway.  

I refuse to eat the atrocity that is Tex mex. 

Ask for hotter salsa and they microwave it lol. 

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

This is My favorite Mexican Restaurant; in Tyler, Texas I just sat down for lunch...

193B6D41-B660-427A-A731-D1253898356A.jpeg

It's the same as Posado's recipe's and all.  I don't know why they don't call the Posados /Mercados since it was there first.  I thought it was cool that they had liquid gold on the table.  I had always melted butter with my tortillas when I ate Albert's Hot Sauce back in the 70's.  Today I bring some of my homemade butter, and my friends asked my why I was putting butter in my hot sauce.  It makes it tastes smoother and better to me.  

14 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

It's the same as Posado's recipe's and all.  I don't know why they don't call the Posados /Mercados since it was there first.  I thought it was cool that they had liquid gold on the table.  I had always melted butter with my tortillas when I ate Albert's Hot Sauce back in the 70's.  Today I bring some of my homemade butter, and my friends asked my why I was putting butter in my hot sauce.  It makes it tastes smoother and better to me.  

They actually have a dish called “Posados” on their menu. I had the chili Relleno stuffed with chicken & covered with sour cream sauce with rice & refried beans. It was awesome, as usual!

• 6 months later...