Crappie

Immortal13

^ Don't know... Excuse my uh, "confusion" as to which fish is what...they're perch that have died.

Pond's over 25 feet deep in the center...bass and catfish in it... none of them floating...just wonder if the catfish we put in were going after the perch.

Some cats especially Ops will eat the crappie and everything else for that matter. But if the pond is small in area regardless of depth, crappie can overpopulate quickly in a small pond less than a couple acres or so. Did you stock it with crappie or just throw some of your catch in every now and then?

Small bodies of water are not suitable for crappie.

Just for the record them breams are typically added in a pond as forage for channel cat. And bass will multiply in numbers you won't like in small bodies of water as well. Sometimes we may have to bite the bullet and start over with a rotenone harvest.

I'm going to go and buy some and also some minnows. Kinda feel like I'm feeding the lions. When we bought this place, the owner and a pal of his would throw various amounts of fish in there, and a 11 pound bass came out of there, that my son has on his wall... LOL...a huge catfish was caught, figured it was probably one of the earlier ones, we're just trying to restock it, and if we can't go out on a weekend fishing, that's why we dropped the catfish in there. Plus, at some point, they'll make a good meal... obviously.

Catfish love minnows too ... they will devour pretty much anything that swims

They'll devour stuff that don't swim to like Vienna sausage and ivory soap. I keep some soap and viennas in my boat box an if im just a few hooks short of baiting my trotlines with perch I finish with the soap an sausage.

^ So I need to load up on viennas? LOL

Going fishing early in the morning at Lake of the Pines...gonna use catalpa worms. I'll be interested to see if we do as well as what we did at Toledo Bend...not bringing back any for the pond...that's for sure... unless I catch some crappie or bream... LOL