Week Zero: Longview vs Coppell (at Allen)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0, 0-0) vs Coppell Cowboys (0-0, 0-0)  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Coppell in a close one
    • Coppell in a blow out

longview_zps8c74edf3.pngcoppell_zpseac750db.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (0-0, 0-0) VS COPPELL COWBOYS (0-0, 0-0)

DATE: Friday, August 30th, 2013

TIME: 7:30 PM

LONGVIEW BROADCAST: Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI

COPPELL BROADCAST: Champions Sports Radio

coppell.pngALL-TIME SERIES: Coppell 1-0-0 coppell.png

The Cowboys have a 1-0-0 series edge in non-district games.

The two schools have never played a district game against each other.

The two schools have never played a playoff game between each other.

The Cowboys are 1-0-0 when the game is played at a neutral location.

The two schools have never played at Longview or Coppell.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES

09.01.2012 - Coppell 41 Longview 8 - Gerald J. Ford Stadium

FULL GAME LOG

GAME CAPSULE:

Absolutely dominated. That is an appropriate phrase for how the Lobos of Longview felt after last season's 41-8 thumping handed to them by the Coppell Cowboys. In the first meeting between the two schools, Coppell took control early and never left off the gas as they jumped out to a 21-0 lead at the half. Longview's only offensive points on the night game at a last minute hail mary pass, already down 41-2. The Lobos came into the game ranked in the top 10 in the state but suffering losses early and often as star quarterback Bivins Caraway was knocked out of the game with a season ending injury in the 2nd quarter. The season that had such promise and hope for Longview was flushed away as soon as it began with the injury to their quarterback and injuries piled up as the season went along. Coming into this season, many players have seen action, including Junior quarterback Dezmond Chumley. The Lobos come into the game having seen their battered squad still good enough to reach the 3rd round before Austin Westlake ended their run. The loss to the Chaps was their worst playoff loss since 35-0 loss to Klein in the 1983 season. Longview and Coppell will shift over to Allen's brand new stadium, where later in the season the Cowboys will travel back to face the defending 5A Division I State Champions...a team they defeated in the 2012 season. The Lobos are 0-2 all-time in the city of Allen, previously losing to Allen in 2008 (21-7) and 2010 (24-20) at the old Eagle Stadium. Last season's opening loss to the Cowboys was the worst the Lobos had experienced since a 2000 loss to the two-time defending 5A State Champions, Midland Lee Rebels. The next season, coming in as the three-time defending State Champions, the Rebels fell to the Lobos. The Lobos are 3-1 in their previous 4 season opening games, including a 28-25 victory over defending State Champion, Allen at Lobo Stadium in 2009. Longview is 1-0-0 all-time on games played on August 30th, with the only game being played in 2002 against Marshall (a 42-14 win at Lobo Stadium). .

WEEK ZERO 12-5A SCHEDULE

Longview vs Coppell (in Allen)

Mesquite at Lake Highlands

Mesquite Horn vs McKinney Boyd

North Mesquite vs Rowlett

Rockwall vs Garland Naaman Forest (Thursday)

Rockwall Heath vs West Mesquite

Tyler Lee at Sulphur Springs

DISTRICT 12-5A STANDINGS

1st. Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)

2nd. Mesquite Horn (0-0, 0-0)

3rd. Longview (0-0, 0-0)

4th. Rockwall Heath (0-0, 0-0)

5th. Rockwall (0-0, 0-0)

6th. North Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)

7th. Tyler Lee (0-0, 0-0)

LONGVIEW LOBOS

Record: 0-0 (0-0)

District: 12-5A

Coach: John King (100-23 in 9 seasons) (Playoffs: 25-9)

First Year of Football: 1909

All-Time Record: 655-329-52 (Playoffs: 53-36-1)

Playoff Appearances: 38

Last Playoff Appearance: 2012, 5A Division II Regional Round

State Championships: 1937 (1A)

State Championship Appearances: 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)

SCHEDULE:

08.30 - Coppell (at Allen)

09.06 - at Marshall

09.14 - Olive Branch, MS (at Shreveport)

09.20 - vs Lufkin

09.27 - vs Mesquite*

10.11 - at Rockwall Heath*

10.18 - vs Mesquite Horn*

10.25 - at North Mesquite*

10.31 - vs Tyler Lee*

11.08 - at Rockwall*

COPPELL COWBOYS

Record: 0-0 (0-0)

District: 6-5A

Coach: Joe McBridge (41-8 in 3 seasons) (Playoffs: 6-3)

First Year of Football: 1963

All-Time Record: 237-278-8 (Playoffs: 13-11)

Playoff Appearances: 11

Last Playoff Appearance: 2012, 5A Division I Area Round

State Championships: None

State Championship Appearances: None

SCHEDULE:

08.30 - Longview (at Allen)

09.06 - at McKinney Boyd

09.13 - vs Rockwall

09.19 - at Garland

09.27 - at Allen

10.11 - vs Hebron*

10.18 - vs Flower Mound*

10.25 - at Flower Mound Marcus*

11.01 - vs Denton Ryan*

11.08 - at Lewisville*

lobohowl2_zpscfd7d4bc.gif

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured it's finally time to get this one started over here. Less than a month to go!

gonna tell alot bout our team. Not ready to say we're gonna win but I think we can win...

Figured it's finally time to get this one started over here. Less than a month to go!

gonna tell alot bout our team. Not ready to say we're gonna win but I think we can win...

'07 already knows how me and just about every other Lobo poster on the 5A boards feel about this one.

We'll lose..just a matter of by how much. Coppell is stacked defensively.

I don't know if you're sandbagging or being serious anymore. D@mn Trinity fans started this...lol

Btw...I think the lobos get revenge this year. Coach King will have those boys ready and I don't think the offense will make that many mistakes again. I think the lobos will win it in a close one.

I don't know if you're sandbagging or being serious anymore. D@mn Trinity fans started this...lol

Btw...I think the lobos get revenge this year. Coach King will have those boys ready and I don't think the offense will make that many mistakes again. I think the lobos will win it in a close one.

Dunno what sandbagging is Pack. Sorry dude. lol

Definitely won't have near as much fumbles. Out of the 6 backs that had carries for us last season, Hasty was the most reliable with the rock. Don't think he fumbled once last season. Athlete has pure RB mechanics.

I know for a fact that there won't be as many mistakes by the Lobos this year against Coppell. They can't. It's a statistical impossibility.

The Mesquite game proved those statistics wrong.

I will say this again.........I will NEVER bet against my Lobos, but I am not at all confident that this game is going to have a happy outcome. I believe that we have the talent necessary to take those Coppell guys to school. I am not at all certain that the execution and use of said talent will be enough, this early in the season. Please God, make me wrong!!!

GO LOBOS!!!

I will say this again.........I will NEVER bet against my Lobos, but I am not at all confident that this game is going to have a happy outcome. I believe that we have the talent necessary to take those Coppell guys to school. I am not at all certain that the execution and use of said talent will be enough, this early in the season. Please God, make me wrong!!!

GO LOBOS!!!

Good point. Having a lot of talent on the team doesn't matter against a team like Coppell, if the execution isn't there. It may take the lobos offense a few quarters to get going in a early game like this, especially if they have a lot of turnovers like last year. I'm hoping that the defense can keep them in it and they win it late. Good luck Lobos!

As said in our thread over on the 5A board....most important thing is to escape with no injuries.

It completely wrecked out season last year after just a quarter and a half. Hopefully doesn't happen again.

I just hope we can escape the scrimmage without an injury.

Can't tell you how many times that's happened (Clark Orren in 2011, George Polk in 2010 etc)

Clark Orren plays for UT BTW, tried out for the team as a walk on last off season and made it. Would've been a beast for the Lobos..

I just hope we can escape the scrimmage without an injury.

Can't tell you how many times that's happened (Clark Orren in 2011, George Polk in 2010 etc)

Clark Orren plays for UT BTW, tried out for the team as a walk on last off season and made it. Would've been a beast for the Lobos..

Ditto. We lost a few key players to Westbrook last year...

i am confident we will pull this one out. there will be jitters and lack of execution on both sides bc it is the first game of the season for both teams. But the fact is our offense will be much better than the O that was on the field last year against coppell. There was a lot of inexeprience to begin with and then the injury to bivins just did us in.

But that was last year. This year we have experience in all the right places. Some on the Oline, QB, RB, WR. Last year the entire offense was pretty much new!! very different story this year. This offense is gonna score some points even early in the season. The D is where I am concerned but one thing we know is the DBs and Dline will be solid even in the first game. If the D can settle in and get some stops we will win this game.

Last year I admit we came in cocky and unprepared which spelled disaster from the outset. This year we will be ready for their blitzs and our guys know they are up against a very good team. They will be ready.

Got more confidence than I do, for sure. Hope you're right!

not sure why so many of you are not confident we can win this game. I think some of you are thinking too much about last year's game. totally different circumstances entering this game than last year. sure they have a good defense but i dont see anything to get excited about with their offense. they have a couple running backs and are breaking in a new QB. Last year we gave them excellent field position and they capitalized. I really think we threw in the towel after Bivins went down.

All the pieces are there for us to win this game. throw in the revenge factor and I think we pull it out. You know the coaches are gonna b talking them up about last year's fiasco. win or lose it will be a close game.