Mack Brown: I'm not going to get fired at Texas

CraigSmoak

If he loses to OU this year, and finishes with less than 10 wins, he's gone. He could win 7 again and beat OU and be ok.

And if big game Bob fails in a bowl game again? Is he gone? Or does he keep his job with 10 wins and an epic fail in a bowl game?

I bet if he loses to Ou by 50 again or has 8 or less wins they will send the old man packing. Of course he will say health issues is forcing him to retire.

We could be talking about Darrell Royal and you'd still be posting the same drivel.

And if big game Bob fails in a bowl game again? Is he gone? Or does he keep his job with 10 wins and an epic fail in a bowl game?

10 wins, 2-0 vs biggest rivals and a conference title...naw he's good. I know Mack is getting comfortable being Stoops toy, but I think the alumni have about had it.

And to be clear, when I say gone I don't mean Texas boots him from the university. I'm 100% confident Mack will have a role at UT after he is done coaching.

Is there a Longhorn out there that would bet the farm he finishes his contract?

And also to be clear, OU has no business beating Texas this year. Just like they had no business beating their socks off the last two. Texas is, was and for years to come will be the most talented team in the conference, probably second in the country next to Bama.

10 wins, 2-0 vs biggest rivals and a conference title...naw he's good. I know Mack is getting comfortable being Stoops toy, but I think the alumni have about had it.

And to be clear, when I say gone I don't mean Texas boots him from the university. I'm 100% confident Mack will have a role at UT after he is done coaching.

And also to be clear, OU has no business beating Texas this year. Just like they had no business beating their socks off the last two. Texas is, was and for years to come will be the most talented team in the conference, probably second in the country next to Bama.

LOL You sound like lion :D

Texas/OU always seems to run in streaks. It will be our time soon. BTW I thought y'all were a much more experienced team than the Horns last year.

LOL You sound like lion :D

Texas/OU always seems to run in streaks. It will be our time soon. BTW I thought y'all were a much more experienced team than the Horns last year.

Perhaps, I guess I keep believing you guys when it's "Texas' year" ;)

Perhaps, I guess I keep believing you guys when it's "Texas' year" ;)

Isn't it always OU's year in your book?

Right now is kinda like spring training in baseball. There's always hope and expectations. And then the season starts.

Isn't it always OU's year in your book?

Right now is kinda like spring training in baseball. There's always hope and expectations. And then the season starts.

Not at all. I haven't truly expected OU to win a NC in the preseason since Bradford's junior year (2009), but that was destroyed the moment Gresham and Bradford went down. Even in 2011, I felt like we were BCS bound, but I still had my doubts with the way Bedlam went the year before and finishing there a second year in a row. I got confident we would be playing for it in 2010 as well about halfway through the season, but road losses to Mizzou and A&M spoiled that.

However, preseason, I expect OU to compete for a Big 12 championship, every season. There is no arguing that and a BCS game is the standard Stoops has set at OU, even a Texas fan, intelligently, can't deny that.

Not at all. I haven't truly expected OU to win a NC in the preseason since Bradford's junior year (2009), but that was destroyed the moment Gresham and Bradford went down. Even in 2011, I felt like we were BCS bound, but I still had my doubts with the way Bedlam went the year before and finishing there a second year in a row. I got confident we would be playing for it in 2010 as well about halfway through the season, but road losses to Mizzou and A&M spoiled that.

However, preseason, I expect OU to compete for a Big 12 championship, every season. There is no arguing that and a BCS game is the standard Stoops has set at OU, even a Texas fan, intelligently, can't deny that.

This is what I'm talking about. I wasn't trying to dis anyone for thinking their team would do well. I hope and sometimes expect my Horns to compete and win every year. And I would hope all fans of other teams would as well.

Come on now they have the Great David Football Ash under center just saying.......

Never heard of this Ash kid. He needs to start sending out drunken tweets, take pictures of himself flashing the gig'em sign, flash his family money, and maybe sign a few autographs for a little extra cash. He is never gonna be a big time star by keeping a low profile and doing such a great job of representing the Christian he claims to be.

Seriously, Ash will be better this year. He made HUGE strides last year. I agree with most of you that Mac will not be the head coach for the rest of his contract. The big question is what type of coach replaces him. Do they try to find the next Sumlin or do they choose from the line of big names that will apply. I'm betting they will not ask my opinion, but I think Art Briles could do wonders with that much talent.

“That's a tough question,” Ash told reporters. “My answer is just by the grace of God. I don't know Johnny Manziel personally, but I do know college football players are just people. Regular people and they have their problems like everyone else.

“Johnny Manziel, I've talked to him. He's a nice guy. There's a lot on his plate. There's a lot of pressure and there's things that can still be wrong in your life. Probably not very many people are interested in knowing what that is or what's going on.

“For Johnny, I just wish him the best. He's a great football player. For me, it's only by the grace of God that I haven't taken that path. I've been blessed with great parents. I've been blessed with a great community in Austin. I have problems like Johnny Manziel – somehow I keep them from all of you guys.

“I just wish him the best and I hope things work out for him."

As long as Dodds is there, I would say there's a good chance he finishes out the contract.

Never heard of this Ash kid. He needs to start sending out drunken tweets, take pictures of himself flashing the gig'em sign, flash his family money, and maybe sign a few autographs for a little extra cash. He is never gonna be a big time star by keeping a low profile and doing such a great job of representing the Christian he claims to be.

Seriously, Ash will be better this year. He made HUGE strides last year. I agree with most of you that Mac will not be the head coach for the rest of his contract. The big question is what type of coach replaces him. Do they try to find the next Sumlin or do they choose from the line of big names that will apply. I'm betting they will not ask my opinion, but I think Art Briles could do wonders with that much talent.

Hopefully he has made enough strides to not get benched against Kansas this year.