Washington1776

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JT/Lobos '97

Lobos/Guyer '08

Gilmer/Jasper '04

97 JT/Lobos was good... but the one against Lufkin that year was great as well...there are several for the Lobos... I would have to say the Midway/Longview game in Texas Stadium as well.

82 Bmt West Brook/Baytown Sterling

86 Bmt West Brook/Bmt Central (the first ever meeting)

Jt vs Plano east 1994 chapel hill vs a& m consolidated 1989 state championship n recent ones I say jt vs whitehouse 2012 and jt vs guyer 2012 either one

I have to admit I have the distinct dishonor of being there and then pulling out early when Broyles stole the ball and ran like 95 yards for a td. David Warren recovered a fumble on the next kickoff Figured that broke Plano East's back and went home to Denton. Found out on Sunday night from Dale Hansen about the finish. Amazing - Have regretted that ever since. Should have learned because I also left early on the Dfield Gladewater game in 84. High School football is such a great sport. Oh yeah, used to watch the Chapel Hill A&M game on the tv at Mr. Gaddis pizza on 5th street. Awesome Chapel Hill defense that year.

97 JT/Lobos was good... but the one against Lufkin that year was great as well...there are several for the Lobos... I would have to say the Midway/Longview game in Texas Stadium as well.

One game I forgot to mention, and often gets overlooked because of the 04 game, but the 2002 Longview/Lufkin Quarterfinal game at Rose was a phenomenal football game.

Kilgore vs Lincoln hands down.

I saw someone mention Kilgore & John Tyler 3 OT in 2011. That was a great game. Too bad most of the Kilgore crowd left in the 4th.

Last year Kilgore vs Henderson (probably not the most well played game, but the atmosphere at RE St John was unmatched that night, right down to the wire.) It helps when your team comes out on top.

I have to admit I have the distinct dishonor of being there and then pulling out early when Broyles stole the ball and ran like 95 yards for a td. David Warren recovered a fumble on the next kickoff Figured that broke Plano East's back and went home to Denton. Found out on Sunday night from Dale Hansen about the finish. Amazing - Have regretted that ever since. Should have learned because I also left early on the Dfield Gladewater game in 84. High School football is such a great sport. Oh yeah, used to watch the Chapel Hill A&M game on the tv at Mr. Gaddis pizza on 5th street. Awesome Chapel Hill defense that year.

. I ain't seen a me Gaddis in years lol that was the spot . We was about to leave the 1994 game when Plano took the lead we was walking up the stairs and turn to see the last kickoff

1983 Mesquite vs N Mesquite-Tied 0-0 great defensive battle.....Skeeters won on Penetrations took the last playoff spot away from their rivals

1992 Crandall vs China Springs-Crandall won on a last minute drive in a back forth game on a very cold night in Grosebeck.

JT vs Plano East at Texas Stadium-Not sure I have seen a better high school playoff game.

Except maybe Canton/Gilmer Playoff game at rose, so many big plays, so many points scored!!

One game I forgot to mention, and often gets overlooked because of the 04 game, but the 2002 Longview/Lufkin Quarterfinal game at Rose was a phenomenal football game.

07 Somehow I blocked that one from my mind...... that was a tough one to see. Lufkin kicking the field goal to win for the third time that season.... Man! ( I believe that was the year we played them twice in district. Joel Armstrong was the QB)

Did you have to bring up us not beating gilmer since then? Lol. We should have won 2010 in playoffs but LE defense choked. Tra Carson ran all over the buckeyes that game. Gilmer always did the little things right and found ways to win.

Yep, I had to throw that in there because so many people rubbed that loss in our faces, lol! Beating L-E is something we hang our hat on after that game. The Leopards always play us tough, though.

1. 1999 Daingerfield vs Pittsburg. Game was tied at 28 at the end if regulation. It was the first time the current overtime rules had been used. Daingerfield took the ball in the first overtime and fumbled on their first play. Pitt scooped and were returning for the winning score when the officials blew the play dead. The game went to a second overtime in which both teams scored. Daingerfield went for 2 and made it , Pitt went for two and failed. Final score 36-34 Daingerfield. Created a three-way tie for the district championship.

2. 1999 Pittsburg vs LE bi-district playoffs. Game played at Texas High. LE jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead scoring on 2 screen plays to Brandon Jones. Pitt rallied to get within 6 points at 21-15 with about 3 minutes left till half. With about 40 seconds left till half LE tried to throw the ball deep again when the pass was picked off and returned for a TD tyin the score at half. The game remained tied through the third quarter. Pitt's RB broke loose on what looked to be the go ahead score when a defender caught him an caused a fumble that LE recovered at their own 20. LE drive the field to take the lead and the win 28-21. The Leopards weren't really tested again in the playoffs as they won state by about 40 points I think.

3. Pittsburg vs Kennedale 2009? Game was already mentioned but it was a great game.

The first 2 games on the list were games I played in so I have a little bit of a biased opinion about those. Still felt they needed a mention as they were great games with extreme importance fr bit teams involved.

1983 Mesquite vs N Mesquite-Tied 0-0 great defensive battle.....Skeeters won on Penetrations took the last playoff spot away from their rivals

1992 Crandall vs China Springs-Crandall won on a last minute drive in a back forth game on a very cold night in Grosebeck.

JT vs Plano East at Texas Stadium-Not sure I have seen a better high school playoff game.

Except maybe Canton/Gilmer Playoff game at rose, so many big plays, so many points scored!!

G.J. Kenne & Houston Tminello sole the show...who would ever have thought that they were so imprssed with us, they became Buckeyes (2006 QB & 2007 Rec.)

G.J. Kenne & Houston Tminello sole the show...who would ever have thought that they were so imprssed with us, they became Buckeyes (2006 QB & 2007 Rec.)

Your right they did steal the show. Honestly I thought at the half Gilmer had it won. Glad I stayed, great game. That and of course a parent of a Canton player shot GJ's dad and I think his mom lived in Gilmer. Tumminello went to 4 different high schools, crazy. Besides those two Canton had several players that moved in from the metroplex. Considering Canton's program had been down for a number of years beating Gilmer was shocking and probably made this game that much more fun to watch. It's in my top 3 along with REL/Woodlands & Liberty Hill/Celina (great game & I love watching the slot t run to perfection).

Celina vs Garrison 2001 SC game in Waco. Garrison's Delbert Davis couldn't be stopped the first half. Great coaching and playing on both sides. The first play of the game was an on-side kick by Celina. The ability to identify and make adjustments helped Celina get the win. At half time Garrison was up 28-14 and final score was 41-35.

Denison vs Carthage 1984 playoffs Texas stadium. A defensive battle. Denison is up 3-0 in fourth quarter with just one minute or less on clock. Carthage has the ball inside 20 about to score. Denison QB Eric Harper is on the sideline begging Head Coach Marty Criswell to let him play defense. Harper is let in to play safety or cornerback. Carthage QB throws pass into the endzone, it is picked off by Eric Harper and returned for TD. Wow! Clock runs out. Denison wins 10-0.

Katy vs Southlake Carroll 2003 SC game. Katy runs the ball on offense, 4 yards at a time, and play good solid defense. Both teams have to earn every yard of offense. Katy ran the ball the entire game and had Carroll D-backs playing up. Late in fourth Katy threw the long pass for touchdown. Katy wins 16-15.

can't believe no one has mentioned d'field ending celina's 68 game win streak. Believe it was 2002? Last second missed extra point. 28-27

I almost mentioned this game because of Daingerfield's nose-guard #33. I still don't know his name but this guy never, ever stopped playing 100%. Unbelievable will to win. In my mind, D'field NG #33 set the mark for how the NG position should be played.

Top 3 that were the most entertaining. Tatum vs Hutto takes the cake, but the other two games were a blast to watch. Not sure about the year that the games were played in, but they were fun.

Tatum 38, Hutto 34 (shouldn't have kicked to D-Mo late in the first half, Hippos got cocky for a minute)

Tatum 47, White Oak 40

Tyler Lee 57, Marshall 50

• 3 months later...

1. 2006 SLC vs Euless Trinity. Southlake wins 22-21. Trinity has stopped SLC all day long and they decide to fake punt late in the ball game and turned it over on downs to SLC great field position for the go ahead score. 50k strong and old Cowboys Stadium. Great ball game.

2. 2001 Garrison vs Celina at Waco ISD. Game went back and forth and Celina snuck one out.

3. 2006 Kerens vs Troup in Athens, Tx. You want a shootout. That's what you got with this game. Chris Davis vs Austin Bell. Davis ran for over 350 and 5 scores as Bell threw for over 400 and 5 scores. The big play in the ball game was a blocked PAT. Gave Troup a 1 pt lead. Troup went back down field scored again and converted a 2 pt conversion giving them a 9 pt advantage with less that 2 min. Troup held off 60-51. One of the greatest games I've seen.

My top 3:

3.) Denton Ryan v LaMarque: Denton Ryan loses their bid to three peat against LaMarque after triple overtime by not convertjng their two point conversion.

2.) Converse Judson-Midland state championship. Midland scored late to take a lead and with less than 10 seconds left, Judson's QB pump fakes and throws a 92 yard bomb and scored.

And #1.) Kilgore v Dallas Lincoln. Need I say the fact that it went to double overtime, Kilgore was up by 10, then Lincoln scored 20 unanswered then followed by Kilgore to make critical plays to bring it to that moment where Nick Sanders blocks the field goal and ends up returning it 67 yards for the game winning and 1st ever championship for Kilgore!

07 Somehow I blocked that one from my mind...... that was a tough one to see. Lufkin kicking the field goal to win for the third time that season.... Man! ( I believe that was the year we played them twice in district. Joel Armstrong was the QB)

Those Longview-Lufkin battles in the playoffs were something to watch.

When you go to DF it is hard to pick. I will give you one against what I think is the 2nd best team DF has ever played. I still contend Lufkin Dunbar 68 was the best . Vernon 84 Texas Stadium.

Game was close all night. Vernon put awesome pressure on Steve Stutsman all nite punting. 4th down , late in the game, DF up by less than a TD, DF territory Steve to punt. He passes it for a first down. It defined DA for me. That is when they came up with the term...............Going All In.

There's a long list of great games I've seen.

If I had to pick 3, they would be...

'96 Brownwood vs Stephenville for the district title @ Brownwood

First year of overtime for HS football. Game went to 3OT's and Brownwood pulled it out. All 10,000+ fans on their feet from the start of the 4th Qtr. Amazing game and atmosphere.

'93 Stephenville vs La Marque for the State Championship @ Austin's DKR Stadium. Stephenville's first State Championship win against a very talented La Marque team. I remember at halftime thinking how La Marque seemed to be the stronger team. Art Briles made one of his infamous halftime adjustments and shutdown La Marque in the second half. The cans were shaking so loud that my ears were ringing for a week.

'02 (?) Southlake Carroll vs Lufkin semi finals. Lufkin went into the half ahead and were dominating the LOS. SLC came out in the second half and just out executed Lufkin for the come from behind win. Chase Daniels was QB I believe.

For a bonus, 2010 Brownwood vs Carthage semi finals @ Dallas' Kincaid Stadium. Brownwood's prolific offense was countered by a very good Carthage D and ballcontrol O. So many D1 players on the field with the highlighted being WR Jaxon Shipley for Brownwood and LB Thompson for Carthage going at it all night. I think Thompson was told to spy Shipley all night. They had some huge collisions. Holland was a stud RB that season for Carthage. I think he rushed for over 300 yards. Carthage's OL/DL was he difference in that game. 35-28 win for the Dawgs. Great game though. Brownwood had the ball on the 4 yardline of Carthage in the final seconds to tie it up and pass went incomplete to Shipley.

** Can't forget Stephenville's 70-35 win over El Campo for their 5th State Championship title last season! That was something to see.

We'll see what 2014 has to offer. Nothing like HS football. I love what Texas has to offer all over this great state!