School Confidentiality

JBizzle

It is "hearsay" because the person who wrote the post was neither in the locker room when the "alleged" event happened. The person was also not in the "closed" session meeting of the school board. If neither occured then how do we know its true?

No I am not in agreement that an independent investigation needs to be done. I, just like everyone else not in the meeting, has absolutely no idea what happened. Without that knowledge I can not form an opinion. If I were a Tax Payer in PTISD I would trust the people I elected to oversee those things to do what is right. If I did not trust them, I would elect people I do trust or run myself.

I don't know anyone, or have a dog in this hunt. But I sure don't like witch hunts. And this sure smells like one.

Jurors, lets say in a murder trial, have not actually witnesses the event ie" killing ", yet they are called upon to render a verdict. Where does the evidence, upon which they must rely, come from? Investigators identify and bring forth these witnesses. Investigators working on the other side ascertain if the state's witness are telling the truth and IF NOT have witnesses and evidence prepared to refute the state's allegations of guilt. This is not a" witch hunt"...it is our system of justice. Understand?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an athletic trainer, I will tell you that this coach put himself in position to not only be fired (which he should have) but also put him at risk of prison time. I am going to attempt to explain a lot of things wrong with East Texas Football here, so please bear with me.

(1) The AD being the "boss" of an athletic trainer is absolutely ridiculous. The AD, in most cases, is almost ALWAYS the Head football Coach. So the Athletic trainer, the main person who will have the say on the diagnosis, treatment, and the "yes or no" on whether a kid plays that game, misses 1 game, or misses the season, has to answer to the guy who is most vested in the kid being able to play.

Any issues here? There are tons. Luckily, at Marshall when I worked there, Brent Sipe and Thed Harris, implemented a system where what the AT says goes. I pulled a player out of a game and got cussed by 3 coaches and a dad due to a concussion. I told the dad, to get the kid to the ER, get him checked out, then if they clear him to play, then he can come back and play. The kid was out for 3 weeks due to some light bleeding seen on this CAT scan. If I had feared for my job, or been denied access to that kid, who knows what could have happened with that bleeding. As the main concern here, the bleeding/inflammation of the brain IS the MAIN CAUSE for death with CONCUSSIONS.

(2) Now, the 2nd part of that. Let's say the kid falls, hits his head, the HC knows about it. And ignorantly thinks that he would be ok and says "your head will be ok, let's see how this plays out." Then the kid dies. That is basically neglect by the coach. He is also acting irresponsibly and out of his profession by giving the all clear to a kid who has some sort of head injury. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL ON STAFF. Jail/Prison time.

(3) Denying the Athletic trainer access to the student is the biggest issue here. First, it shows that he has no trust in the staff that HE CHOSE TO KEEP. Secondly, he has no respect for injuries and health of the students. Third, he has no respect for the concerns of the parents. Finally, there is clearly no checks and balance system if the AD feels that he can tell the Athletic Trainer(s) how to diagnose, treat, and when and where they can treat this students.

HUGE ISSUES HERE THAT PROBABLY NEED TO BE ADDRESSED BY THE SCHOOL BOARD.

Jurors, lets say in a murder trial, have not actually witnesses the event ie" killing ", yet they are called upon to render a verdict. Where does the evidence, upon which they must rely, come from? Investigators identify and bring forth these witnesses. Investigators working on the other side ascertain if the state's witness are telling the truth and IF NOT have witnesses and evidence prepared to refute the state's allegations of guilt. This is not a" witch hunt"...it is our system of justice. Understand?

+1

although i dont necessarily agree w all statements... several valid points made by "question" in this thread

As an athletic trainer, I will tell you that this coach put himself in position to not only be fired (which he should have) but also put him at risk of prison time. I am going to attempt to explain a lot of things wrong with East Texas Football here, so please bear with me.

(1) The AD being the "boss" of an athletic trainer is absolutely ridiculous. The AD, in most cases, is almost ALWAYS the Head football Coach. So the Athletic trainer, the main person who will have the say on the diagnosis, treatment, and the "yes or no" on whether a kid plays that game, misses 1 game, or misses the season, has to answer to the guy who is most vested in the kid being able to play.

Any issues here? There are tons. Luckily, at Marshall when I worked there, Brent Sipe and Thed Harris, implemented a system where what the AT says goes. I pulled a player out of a game and got cussed by 3 coaches and a dad due to a concussion. I told the dad, to get the kid to the ER, get him checked out, then if they clear him to play, then he can come back and play. The kid was out for 3 weeks due to some light bleeding seen on this CAT scan. If I had feared for my job, or been denied access to that kid, who knows what could have happened with that bleeding. As the main concern here, the bleeding/inflammation of the brain IS the MAIN CAUSE for death with CONCUSSIONS.

(2) Now, the 2nd part of that. Let's say the kid falls, hits his head, the HC knows about it. And ignorantly thinks that he would be ok and says "your head will be ok, let's see how this plays out." Then the kid dies. That is basically neglect by the coach. He is also acting irresponsibly and out of his profession by giving the all clear to a kid who has some sort of head injury. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL ON STAFF. Jail/Prison time.

(3) Denying the Athletic trainer access to the student is the biggest issue here. First, it shows that he has no trust in the staff that HE CHOSE TO KEEP. Secondly, he has no respect for injuries and health of the students. Third, he has no respect for the concerns of the parents. Finally, there is clearly no checks and balance system if the AD feels that he can tell the Athletic Trainer(s) how to diagnose, treat, and when and where they can treat this students.

According to news reports, one of the seven school board members did not attend the boardeeting...a Dr. Meeks...wonder why?

This has been blown way out.......if yall knew half of the stuff that went on at practices and the locker room you would probably #### your pants....so get yalls panties out of a wad and let PTISD handle this.

Stop your Boo Hoo in.

Just let this go and let PT try for a winning season.

Good Grief

Sorry I've worked in 3 programs with 7 different schools, and I've never seen this. You don't like the discussion? Go away.

This has been blown way out.......if yall knew half of the stuff that went on at practices and the locker room you would probably #### your pants....so get yalls panties out of a wad and let PTISD handle this.

Stop your Boo Hoo in.

Just let this go and let PT try for a winning season.

Good Grief

I see you are from Gilmer, UPSHUR, County, Texas. Anyone who follows the news knows just really how well you folks have done managging your business lately. For starters don't you have an ex UPSHUR County Commissioner and his son indicted and about to stand trial? Isn't there allegations of additional sexual misconduct surrounding this matter and other county officials? Hasn't even the UPSHUR County judge been arrested? Tried? Hasn't the UPSHUR county sheriif been embroiled in some of these allegations? Now I'm going to leave your schools out of this but...

i would be honered to write a sports column...except my spelling isnt the best. And yes for some one from Carthage i probably would be a Gold Mind of Information to you. And i am glad to know that your fellings are hurt and that you have thought deeply about the cancellation of your account. I think it would be the right thing to do for you at this moment in your life.

Thanks, Goduke1

Hahahahaha...........a gold "mind" of information..........wow

Where were the parents in this situation? Did the player not show signs of a concussion at home.

This was my first thought. Does the kid in question have parents? Do they not talk. You have a kid with a concussion and his parents do not get involved and handle the situation. Get him to dr. He goes back to school and practice? Whether the coach was right or wrong in his actions is another matter. Once the parents talked to the student the well being of the student should have/would have taken over. Sounds like the parents had/have no idea what is going on in their childs life. As a parent I would have taken care of my child as soon as I had gotten back in contact with him/her, then the decisions/actions of the coach would have been dealt with. But that is just me.

This was my first thought. Does the kid in question have parents? Do they not talk. You have a kid with a concussion and his parents do not get involved and handle the situation. Get him to dr. He goes back to school and practice? Whether the coach was right or wrong in his actions is another matter. Once the parents talked to the student the well being of the student should have/would have taken over. Sounds like the parents had/have no idea what is going on in their childs life. As a parent I would have taken care of my child as soon as I had gotten back in contact with him/her, then the decisions/actions of the coach would have been dealt with. But that is just me.

You are going on the assumption he would have told his parents what happened. Remember this was not in public view.

And what does this have to do with the ANONYMOUS lady who typed this stuff? She is not a witness, she wasn't there. So why should I believe her. If someone who was actually there came forward then they are credible. She is not credible because she is not the witness. Wow..... No criminal complaint has been filed that has been reported....so our system of justice is not involved!

I.E. Witch Hunt!!!!! Understand??????

Do you know that the coach denied access to the trainers? Do you know whether or not any of this is true or are you basing it on what ANONYMOUS mom said?

You say he is in deep trouble, but you don't have facts to back it up.

How bout say, "if the coach did this he would be in bad trouble"? Unless you know for certain that this occurred.

Also, you say the school board needs to address it, this whole thread is about the school board addressing it. If they didn't punish him, then shouldn't be safe to assume that it didn't happen? Or are we just going to take the word of the anonymous mom?

Sorry I've worked in 3 programs with 7 different schools, and I've never seen this. You don't like the discussion? Go away.

And guess what..... you didn't see any of this go on either.

How can y'all convict this guy without any facts whatsoever?

I don't know what went on and never will. I also will not defend the coach or the kid. What I will do is reserve judgement until facts come out.

Like it has been stated, I wasnt there and have no idea what happened... know allegations are serious... and any head injury has to be taken serriously... with that being said...

with all the focus on head injuries (and rightfully so), are they being over diagnosed? as previously stated, it doesnt take much to fail a concussion test..

HYPOTHETICALLY - you are a coach and in your ten years of experience, there have been 2 kids with diagnosed with concussions in those 10 years... you get a new trainer... within 3 weeks of 2-a-days, there have been 7 kids in your program diagnosed with a concussion, each sitting out 2+ weeks... trainer says in each case - "i want to error on the side of caution".... how do you deal with it? You want whats best for the kids and dont want to put anyone in jeopardy either, but they are missing valuable practice time, and are doing everything else just fine. Does the thought cross your mind that the trainer is just overly concerned/scared of a law suit and the kids are actually more than good to go?

You go with the trainer. There is oversight built in. If the trainer diagnosis a concussion it has to be followed up by a doctor. They are not allowed to play until a doctor clears them. Many times I have seen the trainer err on the side of caution and the doctor overrule him. That is why a doctor is required to see any concussion kid.

Do you know that the coach denied access to the trainers? Do you know whether or not any of this is true or are you basing it on what ANONYMOUS mom said?

You say he is in deep trouble, but you don't have facts to back it up.

How bout say, "if the coach did this he would be in bad trouble"? Unless you know for certain that this occurred.

Also, you say the school board needs to address it, this whole thread is about the school board addressing it. If they didn't punish him, then shouldn't be safe to assume that it didn't happen? Or are we just going to take the word of the anonymous mom?

Just like David, I have my sources too. And I told you the altercation with the student trainer, "was not as bad as it is made out to be." I am also in good faith that I am not talking out of my stink hole by writing all of this. I was very involved in East Texas sports when I lived in Texas, so my connections to East Texas are still strong. And in this case, very strong. But if you want me to write it like we are the jury in a legal matter on this I will change it to "IF HE DID IT"... But my sources are first hand knowledge of the situation and I will not back down on what I said on this matter.

Thanks for your input though.

Just like David, I have my sources too. And I told you the altercation with the student trainer, "was not as bad as it is made out to be." I am also in good faith that I am not talking out of my stink hole by writing all of this. I was very involved in East Texas sports when I lived in Texas, so my connections to East Texas are still strong. And in this case, very strong. But if you want me to write it like we are the jury in a legal matter on this I will change it to "IF HE DID IT"... But my sources are first hand knowledge of the situation and I will not back down on what I said on this matter.

Thanks for your input though.

Well by all means..... I didn't realize that you had "sources".... If I would've know that you had sources I would've never said anything. Shoot, wish we all had sources, that way we wouldn't need a jury or judge or lawyer for that matter. Go sources!

And I am sure that by throwing it out here on Smoaky is the best thing for everyone involved.....

Lets all just wait patiently until the great, never doubt me, never question me, pompous and arrogant David Smoak chimes in with the truth, then we can delete this topic. Until then we are all just bantering about nothing. Dont forget people, never question or judge anything he says! It is fact!

JTownFiddler,

One of my loyal mods wanted to move this topic, and I have decided to bring it back live.

I mean, why not?

You complimented me so much, why wouldn't I want you opinion public?

And, by the way, I admit there was a time in my life I was out of control, maybe you're dealing with that now, or maybe you're just an Internet bully behind a fake name?

Maybe you hate me for a reason, if so, I'm sorry you ever or still feel that way, but I love you JTownFiddler, I love you for your passion for whatever it may be, including being so caught up in anything I say, you felt compelled to pop off.

But, no problem, I didn't suspend you, one of my loyal mods did, so email me and we'll kiss and hug, and bring you back.

One final question.

If you hate me so much, why have you remained a member of this website since 2007, are you a website masochist?

Seriously, just joking, have a wonderful day, week, month, year and remember, life is short, take a deep breath and thanks for the compliments, love and I hope you feel better after making those comments.

I sure do.

David Smoak

Bamaboy, how's it hangin? What's going to happen in College Station on Saturday? First of all, glad the fire got rekindled, so maybe they can simply go back and forth and may the best man win. I thought Fiddler was pretty funny actually. Rubberhammer, are you a licensed doctor, b/c I need your real name so if myself or anyone ever gets hurt we will stay far from you. It's obvious you've never worn a cleat in your life. How can a kid slip on concrete with cleats? Duke needs to be the one gotten rid of, b/c he's trolling at his finest. Mavgrad, glad you have your "sources" but no one knows the entire truth except a select few. Valid points for the most part though. By the way, I'm glad you brought up Brent Sipe, b/c he was the best trainer Marshall has ever had and did wonderful things here. Aren't you glad he's doing so well and got a great new position? Glad to know what he put in place worked while you were there. There's just something very creepy about this situation, b/c by no means have all the questions been answered. I do disagree to whoever it was who said this is simply trying to ruin an "innocent" coaches career. If he was 100 percent, he doesn't get suspended. He's back, so be it, as I respect the decisions made except for the fact I still can't fathom how a board president overules a sup ever?

So jtown is suspended???? Please communicate the length and severity of his sentence. I must admit everybody may need a little bump to get back in line but lets all be honest, this site would take a huge hit without the musings of the fiddler. I feel it is only fair that whatever rule or even unspoken rule that the fiddler broke must be applied to this smoaky character. If I don't advocate for the little man...who will???

I sence a bit of an elitist attitude here coming from this smoaky character. As a black man, I have been through my fair share of struggles but what is good enough for one man needs to be good enough for another. I am interested to see which one of these "loyal mods" will extend the arm of justice toward this smoaky character. As much poo poo is spoken on this website I have seen much worse than the fiddler spewed. Sometimes the commode gets clogged and it overflows but apparently there are strong feeling coming from the fiddler and this smoaky character. I think a beer summit may be in order.

Someone in a position of power please advise me of the situation.

I don't know enough about this site to help Fidd, but, I do know if Fidd responds to my email I can give him his new password.

Once we get through all that, it's love again.

Smoaky

Lets just go back to the leather helmets and no shoulders pads!! Then these boys will not be crying to mommie about big John hitting me to hard or honey boo boo calling him names on the football field!! If your child can't handle contact at football don't push him to play football there is other things!! This is crazy! Boo whoooooo!! Shut up and play!!