Tanning hides

Hayseed

For hides with hair, I agree with Locutus.

But for snake hides you can use a 50/50 solution of glycerin and ethyl alcohol [or denatured alcohol] after covering skinned snake hide in borax and leaving it until it dries out to remove any flesh and blood that may remain from skinning [un-iodized salt will work for this step too]. Just scrape all of the borax [or salt] off completely and put the hide [rolled up loosely] in a jar of the 50/50 mix for at least 2 weeks. I have done this for hat bands and wallets and it turns out great, I just use a boot cleaner for reptile leathers to keep it clean and conditioned.

But for snake hides you can use a 50/50 solution of glycerin and ethyl alcohol [or denatured alcohol] after covering skinned snake hide in borax and leaving it until it dries out to remove any flesh and blood that may remain from skinning [un-iodized salt will work for this step too]. Just scrape all of the borax [or salt] off completely and put the hide [rolled up loosely] in a jar of the 50/50 mix for at least 2 weeks. I have done this for hat bands and wallets and it turns out great, I just use a boot cleaner for reptile leathers to keep it clean and conditioned.

Thanks, this should help.