The "Poor" in America

RETIREDFAN1

Anyone who has ever traveled to any other country, who has ever worked with the "poor" knows that the definition of poverty is not what we have in America. Go to places where real poverty exists and then claim we have poverty in America. If you can then you are a fool, or just plain moronic, maybe both. Once you have worked with the real poor you surely will know the difference.

Does it make you feel good to compare the poor in the US to the poor in some underdeveloped countries? Why not call our poor "less fortunate"? Schock your t party mentality and do a little accounting 101 and see how much more $$$ it takes in social and criminal justice services to ignore certain needs of these "lesser fortunates". For starters consider the legal aide services.

I only help the physically and mentally disabled people. The others to hell with them. They are usually lazy, alcohol and drug infested, or just too good to work a certain job. I say cut them off completely. They will work or they will starve.

Are those who are recovering from drug or alchol addiction qualify for your plan?

Good...do they have enough assets to cover the need?

It's Maryland, I could caree less if they do or not.

Clarify something though for me, what exactly did you mean by " do a little accounting 101 and see how much more $$$ it takes in social and criminal justice services to ignore certain needs of these "lesser fortunates". For starters consider the legal aide services."

How is the legal aide services "ignoring certain needs of these lesser fortunates"?

It's Maryland, I could caree less if they do or not.

Clarify something though for me, what exactly did you mean by " do a little accounting 101 and see how much more $$$ it takes in social and criminal justice services to ignore certain needs of these "lesser fortunates". For starters consider the legal aide services."

How is the legal aide services "ignoring certain needs of these lesser fortunates"?

I disagree re Maryland...I care about all people...from your response I thought you had some special insight into Maryland. When legal aide is denied to the poor, for whatver reason, the lesser fortunate tend to "get their business in a wreck" and this sometimes results in becoming snared in the criminal justice system. Some become incarcerated at $35,000.00 or so a year when some counselling at a couple of thousand could have prevented the "wreck". Certain counties, and I could name you many, have assembly line "justice" where poor kids are slam dunked by over zealous DA's. It goes on and on. Before all of this overwhelms you...drugs are at the center of the problem and increased costs and the drug problem ...the real drug problem came around under the Nixon presidency...so its fairly new. Factor that into your thought proces please..

I disagree re Maryland...I care about all people...from your response I thought you had some special insight into Maryland. When legal aide is denied to the poor, for whatver reason, the lesser fortunate tend to "get their business in a wreck" and this sometimes results in becoming snared in the criminal justice system. Some become incarcerated at $35,000.00 or so a year when some counselling at a couple of thousand could have prevented the "wreck". Certain counties, and I could name you many, have assembly line "justice" where poor kids are slam dunked by over zealous DA's. It goes on and on. Before all of this overwhelms you...drugs are at the center of the problem and increased costs and the drug problem ...the real drug problem came around under the Nixon presidency...so its fairly new. Factor that into your thought proces please..

Political, no... court cases - yes. Prince George's County is a cesspool... literally.

I don't see legal aide being denied to the poor... and which "business getting into a wreck" are you talking about.. their drug business?

You totally lost me on this... what are you referring to: "Some become incarcerated at $35,000.00 or so a year when some counselling at a couple of thousand could have prevented the "wreck"." Or do you mean it cost the taxpayers of Maryland versus counseling... if that's what you mean...I don't have a problem with that... since Maryland's a liberal state, by all means, speak to your fellow libbies about changing the law... and I'll give you a little hint...the majority of them have had CHANCES, MANY CHANCES before they're imprisoned... it is not their first offense by any means.

"Poor kids being slam dunked"... describe "poor"... and surely, surely you're not "demonizing or demoralizing" the legal aide attorneys are you? Oh, HORRORS!

No, I think illegal drugs, and Hares is probably going to jump on this... LOL.... if you call illegal drugs as being back in the day when alcohol was illegal... well... Nixon wasn't in office, obviously.

I know one thing, and PA is just one that I know about because I've been typing 'em... they're going after doctors big time... and they're going to jail. Drug dealers and doctors...and some pharmacies.

Political, no... court cases - yes. Prince George's County is a cesspool... literally.

I don't see legal aide being denied to the poor... and which "business getting into a wreck" are you talking about.. their drug business?

You totally lost me on this... what are you referring to: "Some become incarcerated at $35,000.00 or so a year when some counselling at a couple of thousand could have prevented the "wreck"." Or do you mean it cost the taxpayers of Maryland versus counseling... if that's what you mean...I don't have a problem with that... since Maryland's a liberal state, by all means, speak to your fellow libbies about changing the law... and I'll give you a little hint...the majority of them have had CHANCES, MANY CHANCES before they're imprisoned... it is not their first offense by any means.

"Poor kids being slam dunked"... describe "poor"... and surely, surely you're not "demonizing or demoralizing" the legal aide attorneys are you? Oh, HORRORS!

No, I think illegal drugs, and Hares is probably going to jump on this... LOL.... if you call illegal drugs as being back in the day when alcohol was illegal... well... Nixon wasn't in office, obviously.

I know one thing, and PA is just one that I know about because I've been typing 'em... they're going after doctors big time... and they're going to jail. Drug dealers and doctors...and some pharmacies.

I have't had a drink in years but trying to make sense outta' what you write...gimme a double on th' rocks...quick!