2014 Re-Alignment

ShoelessJoe

Knowing that the UIL is creating a AAAAAA, and every classification will in essence move up an A. My question is about the present AA and AAA alignments. If I understand this correctly, the new AAAA which is now AAA is going to divide in division 1 and 2 like the present AA and A. Right now, there are not nearly as many AAA teams as in other classifications. Does this mean that division 2 of what is AAA next year, drop their number to about 415 to get more schools into division 2.

2014 - 2016

AAA formerly AA Division 1 , goes from 290-410

AAAA formerly AAA goes division 2 enrollments from 411 - 700

division 1 goes from 700 - 1100

What do you guys think could happen

Knowing that the UIL is creating a AAAAAA, and every classification will in essence move up an A. My question is about the present AA and AAA alignments. If I understand this correctly, the new AAAA which is now AAA is going to divide in division 1 and 2 like the present AA and A. Right now, there are not nearly as many AAA teams as in other classifications. Does this mean that division 2 of what is AAA next year, drop their number to about 415 to get more schools into division 2.

Per the last realignment packet, there are fewer 1As playing 11 man than there are 3As. Are they planning to junk the two division system already in place in 1A? Because your plan would require the 1A / 2A cutoff to be lowered to keep a respectable number of teams in 2A D2, compressing 1A's two divisions into very tiny spaces, yes?

I think you have to dig up, not down.

I just hope that Winnsboro is put in a district more centrally located than what they are in now. Start at I30 and go East. Put them back in a district with Mount Vernon. Does any one know what kind of numbers that they will turn in on snapshot day?

is i

Why you wanting to get away from the East Texas teams? lol

Why would we be in a district with Eustace, Malakoff and Kemp which is really out of our area? The district that would make sense is Quitman, Mount Vernon, Winnsboro, and Grand Saline and other east of Mount Vernon.

Why bother with adding an "A" for no apparent reason when you can just have a division one and two in 3A and just adjust the numbers? This adding an "A" to what already exists is useless IMHO.

Truthfully, this is being done more for basketball than anything else. They're going to make 1A Division 2 (basketball) as 1A, 1A Division 1 as 2A, 2A as 3A, etc.

I would say they pretty much keep the numbers in the new 3A(2A now) the same. They may move up by 5-10 like normal, but still somewhere within the range of where they have been. This is the same thing the Padilla Poll is projecting for 2014: http://scores.psquaredsports.com/2014_realignment_breaks.htm It makes since to pull from the current 4a since there are a larger number of larger teams and less smaller teams across the state.

Essentially, the biggest change comes in 4A DI(the current 3A). In terms of the largest gap between numbers, you will see that is currently in 3A & 4A.

Look at the breakdown of the current realignment and the 2014 projected padilla poll alignment with percentage gaps:

Current (2012):

4A: 1005-2089 - 51%

3A: 450-1004 - 55%

2A DI: 298-449 - 33%

2A DII: 200-29.5 - 32%

1A DI: 150.5-199 - 24%

Projected (2014):

5A: 1250-2149 - 41%

4A DI: 786.5-1249 - 37%

4A DII: 460-786 - 41%

3A DI: 300-459 - 34%

3A DII: 200-299 - 33%

2A DI: 150.5-199 - 24%

Now, taking this even further, look at the Padilla Poll projected 2016 realignment: http://scores.psquaredsports.com/7A_realignment.htm (You can see all the projected 2016 districts by choosing at the bottom of this link).

6A: 1730-2549 - 32%

5A: 870-1729 - 49%

4A DI: 578-869 - 33%

4A DII: 400-577.5 - 30%

3A DI: 292-399 - 26%

3A DII: 205-291 - 29%

2A DI: 155-204 24%

2A DII: 100-154 35%

Now, would it be possible to divide up 5A into two divisions as well? IDK, but that is a question I would have. It you would divide the 5A up, it would end up looking like this:

6A: 1730-2549 - 32%

5A DI: 1200-1729 - 27%

5A DII: 870-1199 - 30%

4A DI: 578-869 - 33%

4A DII: 400-577.5 - 30%

3A DI: 292-399 - 26%

3A DII: 205-291 - 29%

2A DI: 155-204 - 24%

2A DII: 100-154 - 35%

Now, you could just split 5A once the playoffs begin....I'm just not sure if the split would work in terms of traveling and the number of teams. All smaller schools would have a range of 80 to around 90 teams in each division. To me, this would be the most ideal situation in the end.

The UIL is on record saying Location will not play a part. They want equal enrollmemnt. You could have a town 8 miles apart like Troup and Apr and be in different districts. Also Mount Enterprise plays a school that in the town you can litearlly see the Gulf of Mexico. You think the UIL cares LMBO.

It ain't their money that's getting spent. Good grief, this "fairness" bilge is getting out of hand. We gotta have some fiscal reality at some point.

I'm still not sure why the UIL only divides into division 1 and 2 for football season. I know it would screw up the state tournament format, but in our school, of the 8 teams in the basketball and baseball district, 6 are in division 1. That makes it really hard to compete in the winter and spring sports with the amount of kids they have to pick from. Will this ever change?

Any guesses for the cutoff in old 1A and 2A....... I have heard we are low 200's..... any chance we fall?

I think it would be logical to make the maximum cutoff for 1A (which I'm guessing will be 2A next year) at around 210-229. Schools like Garrison, Groveton, and Joaquin jump across the current cutoff enough already. That would bring many teams down like - Frankston (206), Crawford (210) Riesel (204), Hawkins (213), Groveton (204), Deweyville (201), Clarksville (210), Como-Pickton (213), Ore City (218), Moody (205), Bloomington (208) Johnson City (206) and **Schulenburg (212) and **Refugio (204) ---- Essentially recreating the old Class 2A -- especially since many of the old 2A's have dropped to 1A already.

Dividing the lower classifications (1A and 2A) into Division I and Division II during the realignment process instead of using their old formula to determine which schools go into the small school and large school brackets prior to the playoffs was the most positive thing the UIL has done in the past 40 years. It levels the playing field and ensures a much fairer competition level based on school enrollment. I believe they should eventually do the same thing all the way up the classifications.

I know exactly what you are talking about. When the UIL first did this they said it was because of travel on Tuesday night games. If a team has to travel 3 hours for a football game that is on Friday night there is no school the next day. If a team has to travel 3 hours on a Tuesday night and then get home at 1 am and go to school the next day then that was the reasoning. But in east Texas you could have much more completive districts with the div 1 and div 2 format since there are so many smaller towns in the area. I hope this gets brought up cause when your school has 225 and you have to play a school with 435 that is like you playing against two schools your size. So yes that needs to be addressed

quote name="ShoelessJoe" post="1939143" timestamp="1379596788"]

I'm still not sure why the UIL only divides into division 1 and 2 for football season. I know it would screw up the state tournament format, but in our school, of the 8 teams in the basketball and baseball district, 6 are in division 1. That makes it really hard to compete in the winter and spring sports with the amount of kids they have to pick from. Will this ever change?