Former heavyweight Ken Norton dies at age 70

Wild74

Ken Norton was one of the best Heavyweight fighters when the Heavyweight class ruled boxing. I truly miss the 70's boxing era. Ken was a great fighter, and I often wondered why he never fought against Joe Frazier. That was one fight that I wish had happened. Many do not know that the role of Apollo Creed was initially offered to Ken Norton. I will always remember the Fighting Marine/Black Hercules as one of the greatest Heavyweights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTVB_ytUgLM

Good fighter, not great in my book, he had a very unorthodox style for his time, he gave Ali, fits, the last fight I saw, which I think was his last, was the vicious knock out at the hands of jerry Kooney, he collapsed in the corner, but his butt, hung up, so it kept him from going all the way down, and Jerry Kooney continued to land haymaker left hooks!

Good fighter, not great in my book, he had a very unorthodox style for his time, he gave Ali, fits, the last fight I saw, which I think was his last, was the vicious knock out at the hands of jerry Kooney, he collapsed in the corner, but his butt, hung up, so it kept him from going all the way down, and Jerry Kooney continued to land haymaker left hooks!

He was out of his prime by the time that happened. Every fight he had against Ali were great bouts, just like the Frazier/Ali bouts. If you have an hour of time watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfxGUbAMrNQ .

• 4 months later...

Yeah Ken Norton Jr. was a very good linebacker with Dallas and San Fran. I remember he was an interesting character. Once we had a disagreement and he just blew up at me. Luckily Nate Newton was there and helped him get a level head. They had just gotten back from a trip to Florida and he was stressing from the long drive I guess.

He never did like boxing and his dad never really wanted him to get into boxing. Ken Norton Sr. was a very good boxer and could take a punch.