Wildcard

Crawford

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the final 2 spots in the AL? (multiple voting)

• Texas
    • Tampa Bay
    • Cleveland
    • Baltimore
    • Kansas City
    • New York

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about he steals and is thrown out, then you have nobody on base. I know you are a big fan of moneyball right 13?Let me ask you grounding out to 2B with a guy on 2B- is that a good thing?

Ok, number 1.... I have no idea what "moneyball" is.

Number 2.....no, grounding out is never good. Derrrrrr

Look, you can spin it all you want but the decision for Leonys Martin to bunt with no outs and Gentry at first was stupid. Conger can't throw anyone out (let alone Gentry). We could have easily stolen the bag and had no outs for Martin.

So you believe you steal on the catcher not the pitcher.....interesting.

And Martin is a lefty correct? Vargas is a lefty....yep your right you know better. Video game baseball at its best.

And actually a ground to second us great with a runner at 2nd. It is called moving the runner over, baseball has been doing it for awhile. Johnny oats was highly critizied for not doing it enough and playing long ball.

Dude you must have reading comprehension problems. I never said you only steal off the catcher. But....in this case Conger is very poor at throwing runners out.

And I said a "groundOUT" is not good....I wasn't talking about a sacrifice. In this case, the play resulted in a DOUBLE PLAY....and that damn sure ain't ever good. Gentry could've stolen that bag easily and that's the bottom line. Keep spinning though :)

I was asking if a guy on 2B and the hitter grounds out to the 2B is that ok and you said no. Grounding out is never good. derrrr

Well moving people up to the next bag in easy terms is a good thing even if you at bat gets out (not with two outs)

Having a two out rally and doing things with two outs is very important. Are you not a big fan of the WAR stats and stuff? Sorry thought you were. That's were the Moneyball term I was using. It's the quality of the AB with no or 1 out.

So you believe you steal on the catcher not the pitcher.....interesting.

And Martin is a lefty correct? Vargas is a lefty....yep your right you know better. Video game baseball at its best.

And actually a ground to second us great with a runner at 2nd. It is called moving the runner over, baseball has been doing it for awhile. Johnny oats was highly critizied for not doing it enough and playing long ball.

btex please show the stats of stolen bases by Gentry on righties vs lefties. I cannot find them anywhere. The numbers are screwed because the amount of right handed pitchers in baseball but I would like to see the percentages. Ive heard many a players say that lefties are easier to read than righties so Im sure there are advantages to both.

I was asking if a guy on 2B and the hitter grounds out to the 2B is that ok and you said no. Grounding out is never good. derrrrWell moving people up to the next bag in easy terms is a good thing even if you at bat gets out (not with two outs)Having a two out rally and doing things with two outs is very important. Are you not a big fan of the WAR stats and stuff? Sorry thought you were. That's were the Moneyball term I was using. It's the quality of the AB with no or 1 out.

You never said it was a sacrifice with the runner being moved over. In this case it ended up being a DOUBLE PLAY.

You can keep spinning and playing hypothetical nonsense all day long, Rattler. I'm putting it to you simply: we had our FASTEST guy on first with no outs and a bad throwing catcher. If the manager wants the runner on second JUST STEAL THE DAMN BASE. It makes no sense to be playing for a small inning early in the ballgame. The Rangers have some good hitters....why take the bats out of their hands

Wish I could on my phone today our net is down.

On lefty usually you go on first movement, so it can be easier, but if he picks your toast. Slide step makes a huge difference also. But even though conger does not throw well I thought it was the right choice for the when and where. If it was Elvis at bat then no. But Martin bunting puts pressure on the defense, if he gets it down. Seen that already this season

Its a lot easier to pick up tendencies with a lefty on a pick off move than a righty but there are pros and cons to both.

You never said it was a sacrifice with the runner being moved over. In this case it ended up being a DOUBLE PLAY.

You can keep spinning and playing hypothetical nonsense all day long, Rattler. I'm putting it to you simply: we had our FASTEST guy on first with no outs and a bad throwing catcher. If the manager wants the runner on second JUST STEAL THE DAMN BASE. It makes no sense to be playing for a small inning early in the ballgame. The Rangers have some good hitters....why take the bats out of their hands

They were down 0-1 and you got to get that one run back. And when a guy is on 2B and the batter hits to 2B, the baserunner moves to third on it. So most people know it ends in a sacrifice- I didn't say it to see what you would say. It ended up in DP because Gentry didn't get his jump and Martin didn't get a good bunt. Alot of times players are given the chance to steal on their own, when they think they can get a good jump. Even with a bad catcher those plays were still close on his steals. and if you steal and get out you put yourself out of your big inning you like to call it. And with long ball hitters you just keep them on the base and let the bats get you around, why chance getting thrown out at second. He can't be that bad of a catcher he is in the bigs. Like btex said you can get a good read but if you are wrong you are dead to rights as a baserunner!

In the name of accuracy, moving a runner over from 2B to 3B by hitting behind the runner is not a sacrifice, it's just an advancement, which is a terrific AB, especially with nobody out.

Not trying to start another epic battle here, just wanted to clear that up.

In the name of accuracy, moving a runner over from 2B to 3B by hitting behind the runner is not a sacrifice, it's just an advancement, which is a terrific AB, especially with nobody out.

Good point.

I'm not even sure why we are talking about hitting with a runner on 2nd anyway. What I was talking about was Martin bunting with Gentry on FIRST. I think rattler is just trying to muddle the point.

By the way again immortal you can have your opinion but as you have said before play for the big inning, you seem to love the old rangers, 3 run hr style, it is not the same team.

And now to prove your point you think gentry is the fastest guy in the team? Really? Just wow. He is good on the bases but not the fastest.

You can't believe in multiple philosophies, small ball and 3 run hr do not mesh. This team does not hit like in the past they fight for runs. Example see the whole season.

Ok man you seem to just wanna argue with any point I make. You don't know me or what I "love".

Sorry to burst your bubble but no I dont prefer having a big hitting lineup and NO pitching. But having both? Sure man who wouldn't want that? But I digress because you( like Rattler) want to cloud the issue at hand with irrelevant nonsense.

I SIMPLY made a point that the bunt strategy early in the game with Gentry on first was dumb. And yes I said he was the fastest. If he's not then who is? Do have their listed 40 times or something? I'm tired of you trying to belittle my opinion with a bunch of nonsense. And yes you CAN implore multiple different strategies( not with a manager who has no feel for the game) with the same team!!! I like situational bunting....when the situation dictates it. In this case it did not. Besides taking the bat out of the hands of a hot hitter, it resulted in a double play. It was wayyyyy too early in that game to be chasing one run.

l

Yes, I was meaning it ended with the sacrifice of the batter giving himself up to advance the runner to 3B

Ok man you seem to just wanna argue with any point I make. You don't know me or what I "love".

Sorry to burst your bubble but no I dont prefer having a big hitting lineup and NO pitching. But having both? Sure man who wouldn't want that? But I digress because you( like Rattler) want to cloud the issue at hand with irrelevant nonsense.

I SIMPLY made a point that the bunt strategy early in the game with Gentry on first was dumb. And yes I said he was the fastest. If he's not then who is? Do have their listed 40 times or something? I'm tired of you trying to belittle my opinion with a bunch of nonsense. And yes you CAN implore multiple different strategies( not with a manager who has no feel for the game) with the same team!!! I like situational bunting....when the situation dictates it. In this case it did not. Besides taking the bat out of the hands of a hot hitter, it resulted in a double play. It was wayyyyy too early in that game to be chasing one run.

l

Way to early to chase one run.........? the last 5 games Yu has pitched he has gotten 1.4 run support. Wayyyyyyyyyy to early is almost to late.

You know....it's not that it didn't work. My problem was that it was just a losing strategy mentality. If it was the 6th 7th or 8th inning and we still had not scored any runs, then I could see playing the small ball there. In this case AND having Gentry as the runner why not steal instead of sacrifice? That is my only point. You guys would do better arguing the specific issue than to try to psychoanalize my baseball philosophies and what you think I "love". It would make for a much better discussion.

BTW who is faster than Gentry on the Rangers? I would like to know

Met only a few people in my life who always believe they are right. They fight every point never say they are wrong and believe they make no mistakes. Must be good to be that way, even if it is in only their mind.

I think wash did a great job last 7 games. Hope the rangers take it tonight. Need a 9 game win streak!!!

There you go again. I was the one who made the initial point....it was you and Rattler that contradicted it. Looks like YOU have to be the one who is right. Nice try though :)

I think sometimes it would be smart to steal him and then next pitch bunt him to third, but they must be doing it because they know what they are doing....they have a game plan. Do we know what their game plan is, no, but to bash him all the time when we are trying to win this thing..........IT GETS OLD. I had to work and wanted to get post up dates and you are talking about the crack head coach.....really. Post that #### on Ron Washington posts

Faster than gentry. Martin, rios. I think Elvis and him are close, then profar behind those. I think the fastest runner was Garcia, before he was traded, but speed does not equal stolen bases. But I do agree gentry is one of our best base runners.

Please back this up with some proof. I centainly don't thin Rios is faster than Gentry. Martin...maybe but like I said show me something to prove what you claim.

If wash does go I believe we should make immortal manager. He never is wrong, only does the right thing, and all his strategies work. We will be 162-0. Can't argue with his greatness.

and we can make you general manager cause with you no matter how many years we don't win the pennant, we will have job security! :)