Kilgore Archery Shop

Guest 4to3

Bow hunters......Found this place Friday passing thru Kilgore. Nice fellas and great pricing. By the way, #50 bag of corn is $7.50. Best price I've paid.

Said they will not be undersold.

Here's the front and back of their business card.

578654_523755231046006_1404174826_n.jpg

994001_523755297712666_1433826395_n.jpg

I'll you guys the secret(once again) of how to save lots of money on corn.

Stop buying it! Real hunters don't need bait

It ain't bait when they eat it out of your garden...however they do like the peas and okra better than the corn. I don't use feeders for baiting, just for growing horns....protein feeders not corn slinging feeders.

Bow hunters......Found this place Friday passing thru Kilgore. Nice fellas and great pricing. By the way, #50 bag of corn is $7.50. Best price I've paid.

Said they will not be undersold.

Here's the front and back of their business card.

578654_523755231046006_1404174826_n.jpg

994001_523755297712666_1433826395_n.jpg

That's the same price I paid at Academy for some 40 lb bags, good info 4to3.

I don't do deer corn or feeders either, because I have never killed a good buck off of a feeder... Besides unless you fence it in East Texas.. it only becomes a hog feeder that dominates your area, and runs off your deer..

I went to Apache Arrowleaf clover, and Durana white clover food plots in the timber lanes where I hunt and the deer cant stay out of them.. The only way to go in East Texas where we have the good soils to grow it..

Too many feeders turned over by hogs, broken timers, batteries, etc...

These clovers are 30% protein vs 7% for deer corn.. plus their a reseeder that last for 5 years.. try them.. you will see the difference. Not to mention they go all the way into the summer providing nutrition for the herd thru the winter, spring and summer..

good luck

I don't do deer corn or feeders either, because I have never killed a good buck off of a feeder... Besides unless you fence it in East Texas.. it only becomes a hog feeder that dominates your area, and runs off your deer..

I went to Apache Arrowleaf clover, and Durana white clover food plots in the timber lanes where I hunt and the deer cant stay out of them.. The only way to go in East Texas where we have the good soils to grow it..

Too many feeders turned over by hogs, broken timers, batteries, etc...

These clovers are 30% protein vs 7% for deer corn.. plus their a reseeder that last for 5 years.. try them.. you will see the difference. Not to mention they go all the way into the summer providing nutrition for the herd thru the winter, spring and summer..

good luck

Proper PH level for the clover?

Enjoy the chicken fried steak, deer chili, wraps, and hamburger meat so much and not really interested in antler development but understand and respect what you are saying what you are saying. I've had better success over a mineral lick consisting of trace mineral, stock salt, and dried molasses than the corn.

Like shooting the hogs over the feeders...inundated with them.

I find shooting deer off of a feeder unethical but I'm cool with it for eradicating the hogs. I have some clover plots as well, but they are not immune to hog decimation either and the last few drought years, the established plots of clover have not performed well for forage into the fall months. The red clovers are not as easily digested as the white clovers in the late stages of plant growth due to increase in lignin in the plant cell wall. The white clovers, when successfully grown, not only bring in the deer but also turkeys. Whether you use corn, protein supplements or food plots it is important to have healthy native forage because of other nutritional needs to maintain healthy herds. I have started to do more to promote the native forbs, mast and browse.

I don't see much if any hog activity around the protein feeders and these need no timers or batteries because they do not sling the contents on the ground. Bucks generally do not need as much protein during fall as they do in the spring, but they do still need some protein in their diet and native forage protein levels decrease later in the growing season. It's about management and future healthy populations for my kids, family, friends and future generations of hunters for me, not bagging a big one.

Patience is the main thing, it's hard for some to pass up an 8 or 10 point, but we have learned a lot about aging the deer and have let some good 3 year old deer go to spread those genes around another year or two. I have taken more trophies than I have room to display in my lifetime and it is more fun for me to introduce and guide a new or young hunter to hunting deer than to hunt for big bucks myself and I personally will not take a buck that is under 150 or less than 4 years old unless he needs to be culled. I have noticed that the doe and fawn sizes have increased drastically using these management techniques. The does seem to have a better flavor to me. We eat a lot of venison. It's certainly a labor of love and not cheap to have a successful management program for wildlife.

Proper PH level for the clover?

Enjoy the chicken fried steak, deer chili, wraps, and hamburger meat so much and not really interested in antler development but understand and respect what you are saying what you are saying. I've had better success over a mineral lick consisting of trace mineral, stock salt, and dried molasses than the corn.

Like shooting the hogs over the feeders...inundated with them.

IAlways get a soil sample , but most east texas soils require some lime . I have a PH of around 6.5 and it grows the Durana and Apache clover like crazy.

I have a storage building full of every kind of feeder, spinner, gravity feeder, torn up from hogs.. I hunt on The Angelina River, and hogs will dominate a area where the corn is even if they cant get to it they hang around. I let my buddies do the feeding and I do food plots with clover because I hate the hogs.

The clover plots hold deer on my place year around coming out of the timber.. I mow it in July and fert. with 0-20-20 and it takes off again for the fall.

I have 4 mineral sites that I keep out for the spring and summer.. They get off of them in September and start looking for those acorns.

Plots have been a huge part of my hunting success.. Just wish I had started sooner.. They pay off big time.

I got a buddy of mine on them this year for the first time.. I helped him get his established and he took up all his feeders as well, and he has seen more deer on cameras this year than the last 2 years combined, without the heavy hog problem

It has worked for us

IAlways get a soil sample , but most east texas soils require some lime . I have a PH of around 6.5 and it grows the Durana and Apache clover like crazy.

I have a storage building full of every kind of feeder, spinner, gravity feeder, torn up from hogs.. I hunt on The Angelina River, and hogs will dominate a area where the corn is even if they cant get to it they hang around. I let my buddies do the feeding and I do food plots with clover because I hate the hogs.

The clover plots hold deer on my place year around coming out of the timber.. I mow it in July and fert. with 0-20-20 and it takes off again for the fall.

I have 4 mineral sites that I keep out for the spring and summer.. They get off of them in September and start looking for those acorns.

Plots have been a huge part of my hunting success.. Just wish I had started sooner.. They pay off big time.

I got a buddy of mine on them this year for the first time.. I helped him get his established and he took up all his feeders as well, and he has seen more deer on cameras this year than the last 2 years combined, without the heavy hog problem

It has worked for us

Thanks for the PH info....what time of the year did you do your initial planting?

Sept is a great time. Or you can do it in the spring at feb. get your lime down 3 months before you seed for best results. It takes a while for it to dissolve into the soil.

Mow and spray your plots or just spray with round up or an equal glyphol product and kill off all the vegetation before discing or tilling

Get your shooting lanes turned under good and drag them smooth

Apply your clover seed at 1/8 inch deep and pack in. Don't plant too deep. Biggest mistake with clover. Just barely on the top with soil to seed contact. Pray for rain and let it come up good and hit it with a 0-20-20 or equal. Clover makes nitrogen so it's not needed in your fert application

The deer will hit it all year around. When it gets a little stemmy in the late summer. Mow it before a known rain and it will put out new growth that they love. Put a couple off mineral sites nearby and you have the best that you can offer for your deer herd. Yea I get a hog pass by once in a while but very little. Good luck

Sept is a great time. Or you can do it in the spring at feb. get your lime down 3 months before you seed for best results. It takes a while for it to dissolve into the soil.

Mow and spray your plots or just spray with round up or an equal glyphol product and kill off all the vegetation before discing or tilling

Get your shooting lanes turned under good and drag them smooth

Apply your clover seed at 1/8 inch deep and pack in. Don't plant too deep. Biggest mistake with clover. Just barely on the top with soil to seed contact. Pray for rain and let it come up good and hit it with a 0-20-20 or equal. Clover makes nitrogen so it's not needed in your fert application

The deer will hit it all year around. When it gets a little stemmy in the late summer. Mow it before a known rain and it will put out new growth that they love. Put a couple off mineral sites nearby and you have the best that you can offer for your deer herd. Yea I get a hog pass by once in a while but very little. Good luck

Thank you very much.