Athletic Director

thecoach

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't mean that it is right though. The title of ATHLETIC director should be just that....a director of ALL athletics and not just football. Yes, football is huge in Texas. However, as a parent of a female athlete, I resent girls athletics being pushed to the side sometimes.

I couldn't agree more. This is a football state!

Yep if that's the only sport you play........

That doesn't mean that it is right though. The title of ATHLETIC director should be just that....a director of ALL athletics and not just football. Yes, football is huge in Texas. However, as a parent of a female athlete, I resent girls athletics being pushed to the side sometimes.

+1

NOT all kids are passionate about football some kiddos are pretty damn good at other sports so the ATHLETIC director should put just as much emphasis on all sports in his/her program even in the "FOOTBALL STATE OF TEXAS"

I think he should be fired if the other sports are not living up to their potential. If it is apparent he is trying to improve the other programs by hiring and firing who he needs to then he can stay. To many times I've seen friendships get in the way of doing what is right for the programs.

+1 We are fortunate at HS. Our AD actually coached softball for a season while he groomed a SOFTBALL coach. Did the same thing in baseball. Proud to say he is worthy of both titles. Head fb coach and AD.

He should do what's best for all programs. His job should be to put the best coach possible in each sport, but he shouldn't be fired! It all depends on talent level. If you have talent , but aren't winning, they should make changes. If the cupboard is dry as gas as athletes go, it won't matter if the get john wooden in there!

If the Athletic Director is the head football coach and either doesn't care for the other sports, can't evaluate good coaches in other sports, or makes policies to the detriment of other sports, then he needs to be relieved of his Athletic Director title. He can continue to be the head football coach.

He is the director of Athletics......BUT I have seen schools that have "dual" AD...one for the boys and one for the girls.....that might be an alternative.....if a HFC is the AD and the boys basketball is not doing well......he should support with both effort and management for that team....the title says director of Athletics not just director of football athletics......sorry guys

You cannot fire the AD/BB coach at DF when the kids usually only practice a couple of times before district. In 2A and below there are a few variables. Based on some sentiment Bowman should have been fired because of the failure of the girls program. A school like DF struggles outside of FB because some of the teams, district and nondistrict, they play put so much emphasis on other sports. The teams that have had long term success in FB pull a lot of energy out of the fans and community. It just is what it is.

As long as the AD is the Head football coach, these will always be issues. Athletic director usually involves, scheduling of all sports, UIL paperwork and eligibility, MONEY, as well as conduct of ALL STUDENT ATHLETES.

What qualifies a head football coach to be an AD over the head softball coach? Simple answer, nothing. AD is just a ploy to get the best football coach your money can offer. These ADs have no training on any of that stuff mentioned above other than maybe student conduct and some scheduling.

Until schools start expecting more from that position other than winning football games, nothing will change.

----------------------

On behalf of the AD and the coaches of other sports, you can win a few games with superior coaching, but if you have girls that just start athletics in the 7th grade and not 1 student that played softball/volleyball/basketball their whole life, you are going to get out-talented by the teams in your area that do. There aren't many diamonds in the rough that you will discover in 7-8th grade and turn them into a superior athlete/superstar in 5 years.

This is like the Gilmer scenario I think.

Gilmer is dominant in football.

In several other sports they are not doing so well, and haven't done so well for a while.

No one seems to care too much.

Pretty sure that the girls basketball and volleyball teams have done well and are doing well. The baseball team won district last year and so did the boys track team. The basketball team struggled but that's because they play football until December every year.

In several other sports they are not doing so well, and haven't done so well for a while.

didnt Gilmer win district in baseball last year and make a pretty good run in playoffs? I think they had a pretty good track team last year, having some state qualifiers.

should the athletic director coach a sport at all?

GREAT QUESTION pizzachips!!!!....In "small town Texas"...that will never happen....not enough $$$...but in your bigger schools....you really need a full time guy to do scheduling....purchase orders....facility scheduling...transportation..."fire chief"..(putting out fires).....coach's evaluations..."smoozing" with the booster club.....it's a full time job!!!!!!

didnt Gilmer win district in baseball last year and make a pretty good run in playoffs? I think they had a pretty good track team last year, having some state qualifiers.

Nope they got 2nd in District and went 2 rounds deep. There track team was pretty good and should be again this year.

Gilmer's other sports are actually on the rise! The Baseball team is always pretty solid, they got 2nd in district last year and went 2 rounds deep. The track team is always solid and should be again this year. The girls have some new coaches this year. The volleyball team is 4-1 in district at the moment and gave Spring Hill (5th ranked team in the state) all they could handle in 5 sets. The girls basketball team went 2 rounds deep last year and should be better this year. Softball team should be solid this year. The only sport that struggles is the guys basketball team cause they go so deep in the playoffs in football that they get half the hoops season everyone else does.