Pine Tree ISD accepts resignation and settlement w/AD-Football Coach Derek Fitzhenry...

PineTreeParent

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sexual assault vs. pot use. Yes, totally different. I see what you're saying about how it all pertains to the program, but I didn't think the story about the kids getting caught with dope was "news worthy." And, I still don't think any of this should be on a sports forum. That's just my opinion. What benefit is there to having it kicked around on SDC?

What do you want me to say about something this serious? I have nothing to say about it.

OK, so kids getting caught with drugs, on campus I might add, isn't newsworthy. Sounds like you wanted it to be swept under the rug. My opinion is everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's simply another topic to be discussed. It's not a big deal. Don't read it if you don't like it.

I'll rephrase my quote. There are folks in Paris who claim to know exactly why Bowman left, and it apparently had nothing to do with football or aging parents.

Yes they do, and who's to say they aren't correct, especially some I've talked to who work at the school and know more about it than we do.

Chatter was very high in the stands last night about the state of Pine Tree football. Several parents were discussing how last night's game was probably the last time Fitzhenry will coach the Pirates. The board meeting set for Monday will more than likely result in the reassignment of Fitzhenry.

I can only assume the superintendent will appoint the same coach that she did when Fitzhenry was suspended last month. Derrick Hennigan is the offensive coordinator. He's the only coach on the staff that came here with Fitzhenry from the previous school he was at.

Not sure how the morale is amongst the coaching staff about all that has been going on. Some of the coaches are good ones according to the players. Fitzhenry doesn't really have the respect of the students because he is never there. I've been told by several teachers that he doesn't even come to work during the day. He only shows up for after school football practice, and he doesn't even coach while he is there. He spends the majority of his time hanging out on the sideline politicking with the school board president. Out of the 6 sub varsity games that have been played this year, Fitzhenry has only been at 2 of them. He doesn't show an interest in the lower levels and he isn't really apart of the program if he is never there throughout the week.

The motto for PT football this year is "WAO" which stands for "wide assss open" according to Fitzhenry. Pardon my language, but our #### have definitely been wide open throughout this process with this man. He is not a PT supporter, he is only in this for the money. His 25 year old wife coaches softball and is one of the highest paid coaches at the school. Don't believe me?.....request an open records form to see the pay of all of the coaches. They are robbing PT blind.

He is constantly fighting for these thugs that have been in the newspaper and on the news....yes these kids are PT students, but they all moved here within the past 3-4 years. They don't represent all of those students that have went to school here since kindergarten.

• Player rapes 14 year old girl-May
  • Player commits theft at Kilgore High School-June
  • Players caught on campus during summer school under the influence of marijuana and in possession of marijuana-June
  • Illegal football practices prior to 2-A-Days-July
  • Head coach assaults student trainer-August
  • Head coach denies a player medical treatment, and he suffers a concussion for a week without being properly diagnosed-August
  • 3 Players arrested for June drug incident, after playing in first 3 games-September
  • Head coach changes athletic policy to allow student to play after being charged with raping a 14 yr old (felony)-October
  • Head coach denies changing policy, then admits changing policy, then fails to realize that even his own policy change was violated by himself-October

All of these things have happened in the past 4 months. Hopefully the board can grow some by tomorrow and fire Fitzhenry like they should have a long time ago.

The former student that had the article in yesterday's Longview paper hit the nail on the head with his comments.

I don't see how any school board can back this guy.....I feel for the people that pay taxes at PT and the students..Hope y'all get this worked out soon..

The folks from Paris were delusional if they thought their average talent was going to turn into a State championship in 3 years. I was with Bowman the year before his 1st State Championship at D'field. The HC there was trying to be too fancy on offense, not playing to his strengths... Bowman takes over the next year with basically the same staff, same kids and wins not 1 not 2, but 3 state championships... Paris just didn't have the talent to win. Just like Pine Tree will be lucky to win 5 games this season despite their strong start against teams that just werent very good.

I've lived in Paris they have plenty of talent. Don't know about in the past but as of right now PT does as well. Enough to put a winning football team on the field anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if what the other posters say about Bowman not leaving Paris for football reasons are right. After he left the HC position at Bullard he was at Van as an assistant for 1 season before going to DF. Coaching, winning or the talent of the players had nothing to do with why he moved on from either school. Didn't surprise me he did a great job coaching at DF though.

Not to get too far away from the topic, but Sherman just stripped Kinne of his AD duties.

http://www.ketknbc.com/sports/former-etx-football-coach-stripped-of-ad-title-at

Either school boards do not research before hiring these guys or they just don't care. I mean who is really surprised by this.

There are plenty of good coaches out there who bring more to the table than just X&O's.

Good luck to PT, what a mess.

Pray for the Superintendent. She's the one that's having to deal with this school board that is not following the rules. I wouldn't be surprised if she and the school's attorney got TEA involved with all of this. That may be the only way to tame this school board.

confuses me as to why the board wouldn't be following the rules. is it because of one individual or more than one? sounds to me like some need to run against those the next time they are up for re-election

Fitz has buttered up to those men on the board. He is great friends with them so it is hard on them to make him follow the rules. They have have him free reign and he has abused his powers. I think they are at a breaking point now though. Friendships should go out the door when it comes down to choosing what is best for the future of Pine Tree.

What a mess!!

I've kept track of this story since it first broke last month, & sadly it appears that things are steadily going downhill at PTHS. Yes, all schools have problems. However, there's an obvious lack of discipline & control, coupled with a major dose of arrogance among both students & adults, that's led to PT's current state of affairs. All of which has been made worse by the inaction, irresponsibility, fear, & apathy of those in control. This didn't happen overnight, & no one person bears complete culpability, as the ball has been dropped more than once, & by more than one individual. From the parents who allow their kids to rule the roost, take no interest in "school business", or suffer from often near fatal cases of Not My Baby Syndrome, to the teachers, admin. & school board members who either don't care, have given up, or so fear the possible fallout from any decisions made, make excuses, point fingers, & pass the buck to someone else. Anyone else. There's plenty of fault to go around here, but at some point the blame game has to stop, & everyone involved come together to make the decisions, & take the actions that're best for the entire student body. And, as hard as that may be on some, the needs of the many must always outweigh the desires of a few.

As the parent of 2 high school athletes & musicians, I fully understand where you're coming from PineTreeParent, & desperately hope the school board does the right thing today, so PTHS can get back on the right track.

This is exactly what PT gets for trying to hire a coach that they know nothing about only because he had a good record down south. This job should have went to Roger Adams from the jump.

Now they have to go in and try to right a wrong in the middle of a football season. Let's not focus on the embarrassing aspect of this tonight in the board meeting. Let's focus on making the right move for the students and for the name of Pine Tree. YES this is rock bottom, however, we can begin a new start tonight.

I thought Pine tree was a fine upstanding school! lol

And you know this because you are on the PT school board or in the admin? Or did one of them give you a phone call and tell you this?

No because it hardly ever happens mid season.