Lake Fork

parentofredheads

So decided to go fishing yesterday morning... EARLY! Were there at daybreak....wasn't too sure if Johnson's Creek ramp was going to be open, didn't want to take a chance, because we'd both probably go to jail... LOL... so went to Fork...

Started bass fishing first - never had much luck there... got tired of that, so started doing some catfishing.

First spot - a couple - not too bad... decided to move...

Good GRIEF! These weren't "Lake of the Pines little fryers", these were AWESOME big good-sized fillet catfish! Places hadn't been baited. (i.e., you always know when something's been baited, when you've got a ton of corn in your tanks - irksome trying to get all that mess out)

We used every one of the new -- I call 'em Kamakazi (sp?) red hooks - they were literally swallowing the hooks... and then 3 times, they took the hooks and line - took it all. Hubby caught one, that was a good 5 pounds or more... got it close to the boat and lost the thing... decided we might need to get the net out... these weren't "normal" catfish like we're used to catching at Lake of the Pines.

Bait - catalpa worms.

Had a blast - beautiful day yesterday. Found our new catfish fishing hole that's for sure!

Fork's not as pretty as Lake of the Pines, plus you can't tent camp there (UGH!) but had a good haul yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

If'n you ever wana catch some good bass's you get you some water-dogs. They some live-bait lizards. At lake fork they makes expert fishers outa novices. They'l make ya a hero at picture time. True storie

True, but not very good eating... ICK! Caught me one of those big bass' at Fork once... got it to the boat, and said SEE YA... LOL

This past April, went to Beaver's Bend... good grief, bass jumping everywhere....lots of fun catching, no good eating.

Some of the biggest catfish I've ever caught were in Fork. That's the only reason I go to that lake.

I'm beginning to like Fork a lot better over there than Lake of the Pines... little fry there.

They were literally on the bottom yesterday, though... I couldn't even get my line up like I normally do before they were jumping on it... SUPER FUN!

Don't know what we're going to do when we run out of catalpa worms....next year - loading up BIG TIME! LOL

I'm beginning to like Fork a lot better over there than Lake of the Pines... little fry there.

They were literally on the bottom yesterday, though... I couldn't even get my line up like I normally do before they were jumping on it... SUPER FUN!

Don't know what we're going to do when we run out of catalpa worms....next year - loading up BIG TIME! LOL

I've never used anything but chicken liver on Fork and always had great success.

If you take some crappie jigs, and fish under folks' lighted boat docks at night, you can fill a cooler at lake-fork

LOL! Don't know if I'm brave enough to fish Fork at night, trying to find the buoys getting back....you're a very brave man. You would've gotten a kick out of seeing one of those air boats last time we were there...jeesh almighty those things are LOUD!

Ever fished down at Toledo Bend? Good grief, you stray 20-25 feet away from the creek channels, too bad, you're gonna hit a stump...but if you go, I know where a sweet place is where you can haul catfish in one after another... LOL

When I was a kid, I hated fishing...abhored it, more like it... I can remember all 3 of us girls with parents out in the middle of the lake, just sitting out there in the hot sun... BORING! That's why I thought I'd never like to fish... took us a while to get the hang of bass fishing...but we catch more catfish than we do bass...and those things out of Fork are a bugger sometimes to get up!

LOL! Don't know if I'm brave enough to fish Fork at night, trying to find the buoys getting back....you're a very brave man. You would've gotten a kick out of seeing one of those air boats last time we were there...jeesh almighty those things are LOUD!

Ever fished down at Toledo Bend? Good grief, you stray 20-25 feet away from the creek channels, too bad, you're gonna hit a stump...but if you go, I know where a sweet place is where you can haul catfish in one after another... LOL

When I was a kid, I hated fishing...abhored it, more like it... I can remember all 3 of us girls with parents out in the middle of the lake, just sitting out there in the hot sun... BORING! That's why I thought I'd never like to fish... took us a while to get the hang of bass fishing...but we catch more catfish than we do bass...and those things out of Fork are a bugger sometimes to get up!

At Toledo bend you can stay in the river part of the reservoir at stillwaters then just coast over to the stumps and do good

• 2 weeks later...

So went bass fishing at Lake of the Pines yesterday - good to see the lake has come up...not much going on there...hubby said he wasn't in the mood to clean catfish, so we went bass fishing...about 30 minutes into it, he's like, well, all right, this isn't much fun. LOL So we'd ride around a bit, fish for a bit... nothing...ride around a bit, fish for a bit...then went sightseeing...I think it's Deer Cove - hadn't ever been over in there... nice little cove over there....catch of the day, was I caught one pan size bass...that was it. Good to get out yesterday, though, beautiful day, lake was so still hubby was cutting up big time....I need a seatbelt... LOL (not really, but you get my drift)

When we were leaving, we saw, what looked to be, a father and his two sons gearing up for duck hunting, had limbs and stuff hanging all around their boat, camoflaughed to the hilt... the boys were VERY excited. Good to see things like that.