Catmaniac

PT vs Hallsville  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins: PT vs Hallsville

• Hallsville in blowout
    • Hallsville in close game
    • PT in blowout
    • PT in close game

It has been a rivalry for a long time. I remember seeing a shirt on campus in Hallsville in the late '70's that read, "Anywhere but Pine Tree", if I remember correctly. For a while there PT was 5A which lost some of the edge. But since they dropped to 4A and has been in the same district there has been a strong rivalry.

I remember in the mid-80's during baseball season Hallsville dropped PT 4-0 in a early season game. PT consequently went on a winning streak and then cancelled a scheduled game against Hallsville later in the season. PT was 5A at the time. That is when I recognized the beginning of the rivalry IMO.

It has been a rivalry for a long time. I remember seeing a shirt on campus in Hallsville in the late '70's that read, "Anywhere but Pine Tree", if I remember correctly. For a while there PT was 5A which lost some of the edge. But since they dropped to 4A and has been in the same district there has been a strong rivalry.

I remember in the mid-80's during baseball season Hallsville dropped PT 4-0 in a early season game. PT consequently went on a winning streak and then cancelled a scheduled game against Hallsville later in the season. PT was 5A at the time. That is when I recognized the beginning of the rivalry IMO.

Whoever came up with the shirt in the 70's must have been retarded, because we only played Hallsville in 1974-1976.

Our biggest rivalries were Nacogdoches, Henderson, Kilgore, Carthage, Chapel Hill, Jacksonville, and Center. In the 80's we played mostly against teams in Dallas and 5A opponents. I know PT has been playing Hallsville since 1990, but I attended the 2007 game, and I didn't see anything that seemed to indicate that the game was that big of a deal. It wasn't like the rivalry PT thought we had against Longview, we just wanted to beat Longview because we lived in the same podunk town, and the Lobos beat our rear ends every game, but 2. I think we kept the rivalry with Nac, but never really developed one against other opponents in 5A, even the Marshall game which we played them a lot in the 60's and 70's, didn't garner much attention in the 80's.

Whoever came up with the shirt in the 70's must have been retarded, because we only played Hallsville in 1974-1976.

Our biggest rivalries were Nacogdoches, Henderson, Kilgore, Carthage, Chapel Hill, Jacksonville, and Center. In the 80's we played mostly against teams in Dallas and 5A opponents. I know PT has been playing Hallsville since 1990, but I attended the 2007 game, and I didn't see anything that seemed to indicate that the game was that big of a deal. It wasn't like the rivalry PT thought we had against Longview, we just wanted to beat Longview because we lived in the same podunk town, and the Lobos beat our rear ends every game, but 2. I think we kept the rivalry with Nac, but never really developed one against other opponents in 5A, even the Marshall game which we played them a lot in the 60's and 70's, didn't garner much attention in the 80's.

The shirt I mentioned would have been around 76 or 77.

You have the years off DaveTV. I graduated from Hallsville in 78 and they still were in our district. Pine Tree was our biggest rival then and when they returned to district in the late 80's (I guess) they stepped right back into the rival role. There were fights between students from these two schools as far back as 1975 that I personally witnessed. There have been several altercations at both gyms, ballparks, and fields in both the 90's and oo's.

You have the years off DaveTV. I graduated from Hallsville in 78 and they still were in our district. Pine Tree was our biggest rival then and when they returned to district in the late 80's (I guess) they stepped right back into the rival role. There were fights between students from these two schools as far back as 1975 that I personally witnessed. There have been several altercations at both gyms, ballparks, and fields in both the 90's and oo's.

My years aren't off. I have 4 older brothers, and two of them played football and baseball in the late 60's and mid 70's. I played for Pine Tree teams up until 1985, and I never saw any animosity on the fields of play, even with Little League All Star Games that I was on in the early 80's. I think some of the 70's - 80's rivalry is made up in the minds of Hallsvilleites. I can understand from 1990 to the present, but to take it back to the 70's is a farce at best.

My years aren't off. I have 4 older brothers, and two of them played football and baseball in the late 60's and mid 70's. I played for Pine Tree teams up until 1985, and I never saw any animosity on the fields of play, even with Little League All Star Games that I was on in the early 80's. I think some of the 70's - 80's rivalry is made up in the minds of Hallsvilleites. I can understand from 1990 to the present, but to take it back to the 70's is a farce at best.

Made up or not, one sided? Maybe? If I remember correctly there is a pic of either the shirt I previously mentioned and/or a car that someone made into a pirate ship in reference to PT in the '77 Hallsville yearbook. I was in the fifth grade then so my memory may be off a bit but I will dig out the yearbook for reference. The rivalry was a bit muted during your time reference of the early to mid 80's because the two teams did not play in football. That was also the time I was going through high school.

My years aren't off.

PT joined the big schools in '78. Not sure where they were in 77, but would imagine still with Hallsville on the lower level (which he would be right if he graduated in '78 as that would be the '77 football season).

Hallsville moved from 2-A to 3-A my 9th grade year. The 74 football season was the first year we played them in football. PT moved out of district for the '78 season and Hallsville moved to the north zone of a split district and Atlanta beat us on a Hallsville missed field goal for district championship. Our senior class was the first to beat PT in any male sport. We beat them in basketball.

If you can find the '78 annual, you will see cars and trucks with pine limbs and pine tops in them and on them. Some PT students crashed our prom in '76 and a big fight happened at Teague park. That was not the start of the rivalry but one of the incidents along. It has got ugly at both gyms during the rivalry. The rivalry in football has reallly tapered off in recent years due to the one-sidedness of the games. My children were raised to know that PT is our rival and it all stems from the '70's.

It first centered around the privileged (PT) vs the hicks (Hallsville). In the '90's it was the preppies vs the hicks. Things have changed and I hope the rivalry becomes what a rivalry should be and not an excuse to act the fool for kids and in some cases adults. There is a member of Smoaky 76Cat that feels the same way about the '70's end of the rivalry. So it not just my thoughts on the subject.

I read in the paper that Marshall is the rival but I have to disagree. PT will always be our rival in my generations mind.

So why can't the tree seem to get it going? I've heard that they have some pretty good younger players, but I've been hearing that for several years. How are they so far behind Hallsville that neither Thursday game was even close? Can someone who knows the program's history or the community give us some insight? Is it discipline, coaching, apathy in the community, lack of effort, board/administrative roadblocks, or something else? Most losing programs I've seen could trace their problems back to one of those things. I've heard the lack of talent excuse, but good coaching can often make a good football player out of an average athlete. Does PT just not have many good football players? If not, then why?

So why can't the tree seem to get it going? I've heard that they have some pretty good younger players, but I've been hearing that for several years. How are they so far behind Hallsville that neither Thursday game was even close? Can someone who knows the program's history or the community give us some insight? Is it discipline, coaching, apathy in the community, lack of effort, board/administrative roadblocks, or something else? Most losing programs I've seen could trace their problems back to one of those things. I've heard the lack of talent excuse, but good coaching can often make a good football player out of an average athlete. Does PT just not have many good football players? If not, then why?

You only hear it from Pine Tree faithful. They always have 1-2 great players. My years working at Marshall ISD was a big athletic Tight End. I guess now it is their injured QB. Who knows what the future holds.

• 2 weeks later...

Its COACHING, you have to put the kids with a man who knows how to teach them how Football is played!