Death of a Military Band - Humble High School

NSUTrumpet08

I heard from a friend who was considering applying for a band director position that the administration wanted to convert the band from military to show (Texas Southern/Prairie View high-stepping closest would be John Tyler HS) but the students were against the change. The compromise was the switch from military to corps.

The Humble HS Band received straight 2s at marching contest this past Saturday.

• 1 month later...

Military is a dying art form. So many people that I meet now days think that military style is boring and has no artistic integrity to it. It is sad that these students are learning to dislike part of marching bands deep history. Hopefully many of the other schools in Texas that continue to march military will be able to withstand the test of time!

• 2 months later...

The real reason the military style is going away are there are fewer and fewer directors still left who can teach that style. I like the military band because you must be precise, one messes up it shows, on the other hand you can never tell when a Corps band is on track or messed up most of the time.

The real reason the military style is going away are there are fewer and fewer directors still left who can teach that style. I like the military band because you must be precise, one messes up it shows, on the other hand you can never tell when a Corps band is on track or messed up most of the time.

Right, If you can't march, switch to the disorganized looking Corp or Show style ... :P

• 2 months later...

And, there goes another one, after a disastrous marching season Tenaha HS has hired Brian Sours from San Saba and is looking for new staff to help make the switch. Prior to this year Tenaha had made the state marching contest the last three times finishing as high as 4th in 2009 as a military group. San Saba finished fifth this last go around.

• 3 months later...

Region 21 UIL Contest is brutal for the small corps bands. Tenaha will have a tough road to make it to Area out of 21. It's dominated by military bands and judges. I wish them luck. Hope they do get to State. Sad to see Humble give up the military style. Before 6A, the ONLY 5A bands that were military were Longview, Lufkin, Kingwood, Atascosita, and Humble.

I heard from a friend who was considering applying for a band director position that the administration wanted to convert the band from military to show (Texas Southern/Prairie View high-stepping closest would be John Tyler HS) but the students were against the change. The compromise was the switch from military to corps.

The Humble HS Band received straight 2s at marching contest this past Saturday.

JT isn't a show band yet. They still a corps band. The only time JT is a show is in the stands, and the fans love it. When you go to a JT game most of the fans seat near the band. It has always been like this, since, I was young. When you look at a good corps band you can tell when they mess up.

I am sorry military bands are boring. Seeing that there are only two bands corps bands in 16-5a.

Secondly, JT' Big Blue Bands has been dancing on the field at halftime since 1994. It was the big biggest event in school history, because the students wanted to do it at the Lee game. Since, then every song the band played you can hear the fans singing to it or making chants to go along with it. In 97 the whole fans base could be hear over the radio when the band played call out.

• 1 month later...

JT isn't a show band yet. They still a corps band. The only time JT is a show is in the stands, and the fans love it. When you go to a JT game most of the fans seat near the band. It has always been like this, since, I was young. When you look at a good corps band you can tell when they mess up.

I am sorry military bands are boring. Seeing that there are only two bands corps bands in 16-5a.

Secondly, JT' Big Blue Bands has been dancing on the field at halftime since 1994. It was the big biggest event in school history, because the students wanted to do it at the Lee game. Since, then every song the band played you can hear the fans singing to it or making chants to go along with it. In 97 the whole fans base could be hear over the radio when the band played call out.

LE band is show in the stands also wish they wish they would go all show but we might have some people have heart attacks I'm the stands

John Tyler has been Corp since 1981. I was a member of the first Corp Band @ John Tyler, as a Freshman, under the direction of John Samples. It was tough at Marching Contest, earning a 2 in 1981, a 2 (everyone that was there knows it should have been a 1) @ Rose Stadium, in 1982, and 1's in 1983 & 1984. My Senior year, in 1984, we had well over 200 in the band. We went to the Battle of the Bands Contest @ the Cotton Bowl, in 1983 (finishing 3rd), and in 1984, competing against Duncanville at the time that had 375 members on the field.

John Tyler has been Corp since 1981. I was a member of the first Corp Band @ John Tyler, as a Freshman, under the direction of John Samples. It was tough at Marching Contest, earning a 2 in 1981, a 2 (everyone that was there knows it should have been a 1) @ Rose Stadium, in 1982, and 1's in 1983 & 1984. My Senior year, in 1984, we had well over 200 in the band. We went to the Battle of the Bands Contest @ the Cotton Bowl, in 1983 (finishing 3rd), and in 1984, competing against Duncanville at the time that had 375 members on the field.

John Samples in my Cousin. I remember thise days, kids on the north side just aren't into band like they use to be. I give it to Larry Wade he is building the band back to where it use to be.

And, there goes another one, after a disastrous marching season Tenaha HS has hired Brian Sours from San Saba and is looking for new staff to help make the switch. Prior to this year Tenaha had made the state marching contest the last three times finishing as high as 4th in 2009 as a military group. San Saba finished fifth this last go around.

Tenaha scored a 1 at Region 21 contest today.