Gilmer Travels to Spring Hill

buckeyebob

Gilmer was in the 60's at halftime (cant remember exact halftime score), but I do remember the final was 76-0.

There you go. I just remember the first field goal in the second half that made it 66-0. I didn't get to attend the game, but was getting updates. It was 63-0 at the half, and ended up at 76-0.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember back a few years ago, when the Thomas brothers were at Spring Hill, there were a few games, when it seemed the teams were "somewhat" similar in abilities. The Thomas brothers never beat Gilmer when they played, but the Panther teams they were on, also had some other really good players besides them, and played Gilmer pretty tough. Since they graduated, it seems that the Panthers teams just haven't had as much success. I hate to see a team struggle year after year. I think it's been tough on SH, because they have been in such a tremendously tough district for at least the past six years. Almost every year for the past six, there have been at least 4 teams in their district that could/would win district in about 60 % of the other districts in Texas 3-A football. It's like starting the season at the bottom of a well, and trying to climb out of it each week, only to slide back into the water.

The Panthers can't control who they get placed in district with,,, it's just been the luck of the draw for them. When you have to go against at least 4 perennially strong teams like Gilmer, Chapel Hill, Carthage, Kilgore, and/or Henderson each year,, I'm sorry but it's almost unfair. I've heard some folks on here say, "well if you don't want to keep getting beat,, then just "get better." First off, that's not a very bright statement. SH is smaller than all of those schools, as much as 300 kids or more in some cases. On top of that, there's is a different talent pool. SH has had good coaching for many years now,, and in my opinion, their kids never do quit, and to me, they are playing at as high a level as they can play.

Maybe it's a bit of a "pull for the underdog" mentality I possess, but I check out each team in our districts scores every Friday, and I always pull for Spring Hill and Gladewater to pull an upset on somebody,,, (just not the Buckeyes) LOL I miss the rivalry with us and Gladewater each year,, the big games against Coach Murphy. It just don't seem like it's there like it was back then. I do admit, that it was hard losing to Gladewater then. And there was, and still is no team I hope to beat each year more than Gladewater. I suppose that's what a rivalry game is supposed to be. But Gilmer went through it's own tough years back in the 60's, 70's and part of the 80's and 90's. I know it can be a big downer coming out on the short end of the stick almost every single year. I hope we never have a stretch where we can't get out of that well. But at some point, that could happen. I just hate seeing any team fall into that situation for years. I am thinking Gilmer will go north in re-alignment next year. I hope Spring Hill goes with us. I mean no disrespect to any of the teams north/north east of us,, but I think that would be an easier district for Spring Hill to compete for a playoff spot in. I really am pulling for you Panthers,, and would love to see you get more wins,, just not against the Buckeyes. ;)

I'm sure no matter what the score is Friday,, the Buckeyes will go to Spring Hill, and play against a team fired up, and ready to play. Again, I've always been impressed by the kids from SH, who never roll over or quit in any game. And if the Bucks win the game, I hope SH makes us work our hineys off for it. We need to have some challenges for the next three weeks in order to be ready for the playoffs should we make them (which we should, but nothing is guaranteed in football.) We've got a "MONSTER" game coming up in Kilgore that's for sure,, but I'd like to see us played hard in the other two games. I feel SH can do that,, and Bullard played us very hard last year as well,, and I'm pretty sure they will again. We just need to be up to the test the rest of the season, and not be lulled into any traps "because" nearly every armchair quarterback says that the Buckeyes should walk all over their next opponent. Reading your own press clippings is the dumbest thing any player or team can do. Good luck to Spring HIll, and Bullard, and Gladewater the rest of the way. (again, accept when you play the Buckeyes).

And before I get blasted by my own home town crowd,,,LOL I am not trying to be PC either. Do I think Gilmer will win Friday night,,,, yes,, I'd be silly not to. And nobody will be yelling louder than me for them to do so. I just don't try and get bragadosio on anybody. Like blackflag says,, I don't want anything I say to be read by any of the Gilmer kids into thinking that their fans have the feeling we can't be beat,, or we "should" win state with no problem. He's right,, we don't do our own team any good, by overstressing how good we are. The focus issues he talks about as well,, aren't just so we can stomp our opponents every week,,,, but that we'll have that established mentality in their brains by the time the playoffs start. Ya'll know as well as I do, that you don't make it all the way to a state game, by playing sloppy, and unfocused football. Some of our play during the first half of this year bordered on sloppy at times. It's just something that needs to get worked out at some point during the season,, not something we should still be doing by week 10,, or it might be an early exit in the playoffs. That can happen,,, (re: Gilmer/Canton,,,, and Gilmer/ Liberty Eylau if you need to have your memory jogged).

I should not have to be worried about sloppy/unfocused play at this point in the season. I believe we have the best coaching staff in East Texas,, possibly the whole state. And I feel sure they will have these kids ready to play every game from here on out. But these are after all,, 15, 16, and 17 year old kids,,,,,, so nothing is set in stone.

I remember back a few years ago, when the Thomas brothers were at Spring Hill, there were a few games, when it seemed the teams were "somewhat" similar in abilities. The Thomas brothers never beat Gilmer when they played, but the Panther teams they were on, also had some other really good players besides them, and played Gilmer pretty tough. Since they graduated, it seems that the Panthers teams just haven't had as much success. I hate to see a team struggle year after year. I think it's been tough on SH, because they have been in such a tremendously tough district for at least the past six years. Almost every year for the past six, there have been at least 4 teams in their district that could/would win district in about 60 % of the other districts in Texas 3-A football. It's like starting the season at the bottom of a well, and trying to climb out of it each week, only to slide back into the water.

The Panthers can't control who they get placed in district with,,, it's just been the luck of the draw for them. When you have to go against at least 4 perennially strong teams like Gilmer, Chapel Hill, Carthage, Kilgore, and/or Henderson each year,, I'm sorry but it's almost unfair. I've heard some folks on here say, "well if you don't want to keep getting beat,, then just "get better." First off, that's not a very bright statement. SH is smaller than all of those schools, as much as 300 kids or more in some cases. On top of that, there's is a different talent pool. SH has had good coaching for many years now,, and in my opinion, their kids never do quit, and to me, they are playing at as high a level as they can play.

Maybe it's a bit of a "pull for the underdog" mentality I possess, but I check out each team in our districts scores every Friday, and I always pull for Spring Hill and Gladewater to pull an upset on somebody,,, (just not the Buckeyes) LOL I miss the rivalry with us and Gladewater each year,, the big games against Coach Murphy. It just don't seem like it's there like it was back then. I do admit, that it was hard losing to Gladewater then. And there was, and still is no team I hope to beat each year more than Gladewater. I suppose that's what a rivalry game is supposed to be. But Gilmer went through it's own tough years back in the 60's, 70's and part of the 80's and 90's. I know it can be a big downer coming out on the short end of the stick almost every single year. I hope we never have a stretch where we can't get out of that well. But at some point, that could happen. I just hate seeing any team fall into that situation for years. I am thinking Gilmer will go north in re-alignment next year. I hope Spring Hill goes with us. I mean no disrespect to any of the teams north/north east of us,, but I think that would be an easier district for Spring Hill to compete for a playoff spot in. I really am pulling for you Panthers,, and would love to see you get more wins,, just not against the Buckeyes. ;)

I'm sure no matter what the score is Friday,, the Buckeyes will go to Spring Hill, and play against a team fired up, and ready to play. Again, I've always been impressed by the kids from SH, who never roll over or quit in any game. And if the Bucks win the game, I hope SH makes us work our hineys off for it. We need to have some challenges for the next three weeks in order to be ready for the playoffs should we make them (which we should, but nothing is guaranteed in football.) We've got a "MONSTER" game coming up in Kilgore that's for sure,, but I'd like to see us played hard in the other two games. I feel SH can do that,, and Bullard played us very hard last year as well,, and I'm pretty sure they will again. We just need to be up to the test the rest of the season, and not be lulled into any traps "because" nearly every armchair quarterback says that the Buckeyes should walk all over their next opponent. Reading your own press clippings is the dumbest thing any player or team can do. Good luck to Spring HIll, and Bullard, and Gladewater the rest of the way. (again, accept when you play the Buckeyes).

BIGBIG BIG blow out....92-0............lol :P :rolleyes: :P

did I dream is or was gilmer ahead pf sprung hill 70 to 0 at half a couple years ago and won 77-0

That was one of the games that made me really dislike Traylor. He was up big with about 30 seconds left in the half and called a time out to try and score again before the half was over. Topped it off by coming back out in the 3rd quarter throwing deep passes with the first team. I'm all for keeping starters in for a lot of the game to stay crisp and Gilmer was going to the playoffs but that was ridiculous.

Devondrick Dixon is signed with Texas State (who are now D1) and Kris Boyd has multiple offers and is leaning heavy on Texas from a good source.

So 3 for now...i would think that Desmond Pollard and Demarco Boyd will be playing D1 in the future

Yes,, and Nick Smith could go D-1 in a couple of years, and there are a couple more who may,, Tanner Barr might as a DB,,, and there is a chance Jamel Jackson could,, along with one I think is "really" gonna be good,, freshman Kelton Collier. That is nine all totaled,,, that could "possibly" go D-1. No assurances that all will,, but my guess would be five to seven of the current roster wil in time. At least the Potential is there for 9,,, but a few of those are going to have to step up their game,,, but it could happen.

Tell him what 101-0 feels like...we are trying for new school record this week...we are bulleys & proud of it

I think that was totally uncalled for. I'm a proud Buckeye and don't appreciate the term "WE" are bullies. Spring Hill will not roll over, they will play hard until the final horn sounds. There will be no running up the score. I believe Gilmer will win going away, but lot's of players get playing time in the fourth quarter Friday. Check yourself, you do not speak for EVERY Buckeye fan.

Everybody has their own style on this here board. Some like to ruffle feathers, some like to be more respectful to their opponent. Everybody pretty much knows what will happen Friday night either way.

It wasn't that long ago that the Buckeyes were the team that everybody beat up on. It's nice to be on the other end now. I won't forget the drubbings we got in the '70s, a few in the '80s, and a few in the '90s, so I choose to play a little more nice...UNLESS there's somebody that wants to smack talk. Then it's fair game to have a smackdown. They'll lose that, too!

I think that was totally uncalled for. I'm a proud Buckeye and don't appreciate the term "WE" are bullies. Spring Hill will not roll over, they will play hard until the final horn sounds. There will be no running up the score. I believe Gilmer will win going away, but lot's of players get playing time in the fourth quarter Friday. Check yourself, you do not speak for EVERY Buckeye fan.

Chill...I am jacking with HendersonLionfan2003...the 101-0 goes back to 1928 when Gilmer beat Henderson by 101...the bully comment was made because of what is going on today

@ sumitstock: There won't be anyone intentionally running up the score Friday night! Gilmer is gonna score a lot of points, but it won't be because they're running up the score to be bullies. It'll be because they have loads of talent and they're that freaking good of a team! SH will be trying everything in the book to make sure that the game doesn't get out of hand. Best of luck to both teams!

Sorry...I forget that I should not speak for everyone

Buckeyebob, what I was referring to was your bullying comment. You say you said it because "of what is going on today". Well, that is precisely why you shouldn't have said it. If you want to classify yourself as a bully, by all means please do. However, you said WE, as in Buckeyes. I know for a fact, MOST buckeyes are not bullies, and I don't think that term should be used on a sports forum to describe a team or fan base, JMO. Now, I am a huge Buckeye fan, me and the misses both graduated from Gilmer and we go to as many games as we can, including playoffs. However, our girls go to Spring Hill and we will support them no matter what. We will be sitting on the Spring Hill home side. I usually have a blue shirt, but when we play Gilmer, I wear black as to support BOTH. This forum that we have been blessed with is for discussion and yes, a little slap talk for fans, so I'm not saying what you can or cannot say, just don't think bully is a good way to describe Gilmer.

Now, I think we all know how tonight's game will turn out. I saw Jeff talking to the SH School Board President after last night's game, hopefully saying he will take it easy tonight, LOL. Hope everyone has safe travels, and tonight's game will be injury free.