Canton Eagle Football

Atari2000

Unless they have a change in the programs leadership they will not be very successful. if you see them play you would understand they have a big offense line that couldn't block their grandmother. they have one of if not the best quarterback in the complete area. this kid is very good and only a junior but he has to run for his life every game and 80% of his rushing yardage has been from scrambling for his life because the offense line doesn't even slow the defense line down. this is the coach's 3rd year and he has hired a most of the staff and none of the coaches he has hired hasn't been very effective. he hired a new off3ense coordinator this year and then took the job away from him after I believe 4 games. the head coach was the defense coordinator at the start of the year but gave that up after Fairfield scored 57 points in the 1st half on Canton. I doubt if anything will happen because not enough people in Canton really expect and demand a winning football program . if the band stays good the people in Canton will be happy and still leave after the band plays at halftime. one of the better players dad told me the coach is taking it out on his son because he wants the coach to leave also. I would give anything if Canton's school management would hire a proven winning coach who would really get this town behind the team. this AD- coach does nothing to promote the program doesn't even make sure the JV , 7th,8th 9th grade scores are put in the newspaper, after 7 weeks there was two weeks that the sub varsity scores were put in the paper. there is absolutely no excuse for that.

Unless they have a change in the programs leadership they will not be very successful. if you see them play you would understand they have a big offense line that couldn't block their grandmother. they have one of if not the best quarterback in the complete area. this kid is very good and only a junior but he has to run for his life every game and 80% of his rushing yardage has been from scrambling for his life because the offense line doesn't even slow the defense line down. this is the coach's 3rd year and he has hired a most of the staff and none of the coaches he has hired hasn't been very effective. he hired a new off3ense coordinator this year and then took the job away from him after I believe 4 games. the head coach was the defense coordinator at the start of the year but gave that up after Fairfield scored 57 points in the 1st half on Canton. I doubt if anything will happen because not enough people in Canton really expect and demand a winning football program . if the band stays good the people in Canton will be happy and still leave after the band plays at halftime. one of the better players dad told me the coach is taking it out on his son because he wants the coach to leave also. I would give anything if Canton's school management would hire a proven winning coach who would really get this town behind the team. this AD- coach does nothing to promote the program doesn't even make sure the JV , 7th,8th 9th grade scores are put in the newspaper, after 7 weeks there was two weeks that the sub varsity scores were put in the paper. there is absolutely no excuse for that.

I certainly hope you are not from Canton, but since you are EAGle13 it sounds like you must be. I don't know how the JV and Freshman are doing, but the 7th grade both A and B are undefeated and in fact only two teams have scored on them. The 8th grade is also doing quite well - not sure of their complete record though. I do agree the scores should be in the paper. I am very proud of the Junior High and would love to see it posted. Are you a member of the Booster Club? Do you voice your opinion there are just hid behind a screen name? Just curious because you are very vocal on here. They say change happens with one voice so go make it known you are unhappy. I love Canton and all of the programs - band, basketball, football, baseball - everything. I don't see how running a program down is productive. Just saying . . .

I was very active in the athletic booster club until coach Angel tried his best to disband the club. after this coach came in after Rhoden I went to one meeting and the new coach wasn't even there. I can assure you no one in the last 10 years has done more for Canton's football than me. the 7th and 8th grade teams have been very good now for the last 4 or 5 years with a lot of players but by the time they get to varsity level we only have around 30 to 35 left. if we had a coach -Ad who did his job and promoted this program to the community and had a proven winning record everywhere he had coached and couldn't win at Canton then I would agree with you whole hardily. Angel was the last coach hired here that had won anywhere, Rhoden had never been a head coach and Ivey has never won at any place he has been. he was 1-19 at Athens in two years and the management at Canton hired him to lead this program. the blame for Canton not having a really good proven winning coach is no ones fault but the super and school board's . Having good winning sub varsity teams for several years in a row and it not translating to good varsity teams says a lot about the coach. think what you want about me but believe me I want the kids in Canton to have the same chance to win every Friday night as the kids in the towns where only winning is acceptable. I never played on a loosing football team back in my days and I know how proud of our football program was to all the players and every person who lived in that town and there is really no reason Canton can't be the same way.

Obviously there is a problem, but coming on a message board and trashing the program does not help. Every week I watch the junior high as well as the varsity play their hearts out. I know there is talent and I want to see the program succeed as well as you do. I just don't think this is the venue. There are ways to make yourself heard, but hiding behind a screen name is not the way. I'm fairly certain there are others who feel the same way - just approach things in a more positive way.

Sir I have talked to school board members twice in last several years and was told it really doesn't matter what the scoreboard says on Friday nights it is all about the kids. like a good friend said I wish those school board members would tell those players for Canton who are playing their hearts out trying to win it really doesn't matter what is on the scoreboard on Friday nights. if you have any more suggestions on how to make it better for our kids I would love to hear them. I am at every Canton football game with several of my die hard fans who will not give up until we are dead or have a better situation for our kids who are giving everything they have trying to win.

The eagles seem to be improving each week. Hopefully it continues. I know the qb is good, I think the best in the district by far,(returning district MVP) but if the offense puts up over 500 yards and scores 49 points someone is helping out. Probably the oline. Right now the defense and special teams seem to be areas of more concern, although there is always room for improvement everywhere.

I am not sure about the jr high and sub varsity issues being in the paper, if they aren't then I agree it would be nice to see them with a small write up. If the coaches usually do it but aren't I know the paper would let someone else turn in the scores and info as a correspondent. It just takes a person/volunteer to write it up and turn it in.

If it is his job to get the info to the paper then I agree, and it is the right thing to do for your players participating. I honestly don't know whose responsibility that is. Sometimes when you want something to get done you just have to do it yourself. I was merely providing an option as a solution to a problem.

why should anyone else have to do what the AD is getting paid to do? if any of us didn't do our job we would loose it.

Not the ADs job to put JH scores in the paper, wow. I've heard it all now. I wish my JH scores were put in the paper, ever! Like in the past 30 years, never seen 'em... If you wanna know the scores, go to the game. Don't say it's for the kids, they don't read newspapers anymore

Seems like they hired a supposed winner once, and somebody shot him. That might make the rest of em shy away from coaching over there. ^_^

I have been very critical about the school management here and I want to say the super here walked into a personnel nightmare at Canton. the super that left had made a mess of this district. this super did hire the present coach and I believe he only did so because the coach that left recommended him for the job. this is a good young super that has taken his time to evaluate all the personnel and slowly cleaned up he mess handed him. he is present at every football and watches closely what happens and I believe he will take care of this personnel issue at the end of this year. the school board is a different situation I see less than 50% at any games and some that has only showed up at games right before they were trying to get reelected. I sincerely hope and pray that the personnel issue with the football program will be resolved. I hope the super and school board will advertise the job and interview all the applicants this time. that hasn't happened when the last two coaches were hired. it would be nice if several of the citizens of Canton who really care and support the program would be on the group doing the interviews with the final decision made by the super. there should will be no reason for anyone to complain about who is hired if more than one at least has some input on who is most qualified. if we are fortunate enough to get a change.

Wow last sup left Canton in a mess. Really. Sports were doing well except boys basketball at the time and, scores were up and he came to all sporting events not just football. SO I agree with you on the mess now, I disagree with you on last sup.(He was not popular but he ran a good school)

sorry but you have no idea what your talking about. it had nothing to do with any of the athletic programs. he cost this school district many dollars in lawyer fees trying to justify his misdoings. and it ended up costing the school board president and a few more their places on the board for some private meeting they had with the super.

I have been very critical about the school management here and I want to say the super here walked into a personnel nightmare at Canton. the super that left had made a mess of this district. this super did hire the present coach and I believe he only did so because the coach that left recommended him for the job. this is a good young super that has taken his time to evaluate all the personnel and slowly cleaned up he mess handed him. he is present at every football and watches closely what happens and I believe he will take care of this personnel issue at the end of this year. the school board is a different situation I see less than 50% at any games and some that has only showed up at games right before they were trying to get reelected. I sincerely hope and pray that the personnel issue with the football program will be resolved. I hope the super and school board will advertise the job and interview all the applicants this time. that hasn't happened when the last two coaches were hired. it would be nice if several of the citizens of Canton who really care and support the program would be on the group doing the interviews with the final decision made by the super. there should will be no reason for anyone to complain about who is hired if more than one at least has some input on who is most qualified. if we are fortunate enough to get a change.

After reading your posts I went and looked it up. Ivey did have two bad years in Athens. Go look at who was in that district. This year's Athens team might have gotten smoked and it is the best they have had in a while. Giddings played 15 games (13-2) one year he was the AD/HD coach there. He has also had a poor year (2-8) at Conroe. He has had some successes and some tough years, like most coaches. Go find out what is happening to Coach Kinne in Sherman. I bet you liked him, but it doesn't sound real pretty there right now. Down years happen almost everywhere.

Who gets to decide who the "citizens of Canton who really care and support the program" would be? I like several of our coaches and support them all. Go to church with some of them and their families. But if we have to do this, do I get to be on there? Just picking this group could split the community before the process ever began.

Most of us post behind a name other than our own to protect our identity - I am right there with you, but you have made a lot of big claims on this site this season. The latest is that you claim to have done as much for football in Canton in the last 10 years as anyone. That is a huge claim. Have you called a play for any HS team? Coached a team at the HS? Coached a position at the HS? Have you watched any film with the team? Spent every weekend during a season preparing for the next opponent? Sterilized the equipment after the season? Driven kids home after a game or practice when mom or dad doesn't show up? Done laundry for the team a couple of nights a week? Taught any of the kids on those teams in the classroom so that they might stay eligible? I'll bet you the coaches that have come and gone, and the ones there now, have done all of that. Shoot, I know lots of men in the youth football program who have coached and done many of those same things every year and done a really good job, putting in numerous hours coaching those teams and running that league. More than all of them? Please enlighten us.

You keep talking about how much you care about the boys on the field that want to win, yet in the next breath talk bad about most of them (big offensive line who couldn't block a grandmother) other than the quarterback. How does that help Canton Football? If you want changes - get a groundswell and see if the rest of the town agrees. If so, then get it done. If not, then get on board and be positive for our kids and community.

I have no desire to be anything but a fan and I wouldn.t want to serve on the group interviewing coaches, I am too old now to have too much of an active role in anything involving the team. sir I do know football very well ,I was an official for years and I know a well coached team when I see one. as for as what I have done for Canton I had rather not say but I have invested several thousands dollars trying to help these kids doing something for them they loved and ask me to do for them. I believe if you did poll the Canton active football supporters you would find out most do want a change. I could care less how much you try to run me down but if you ever want to see these kids have an equal chance to win on the football field a change in the head coaching position will have to be made. just look down the road at Malakoff they were 0-10 the year before the current coach was hired and in his first year they were 8-2 and made the playoffs. they have been very successful every year since he has been there. that is not just luck it is because they hired a really good young coach who has their program going in the right direction. The complete town now supports their team. this is only one example of what a good coach can do in high school football I can find you many more places where the same thing has happened. being successful in high school football is about 70% coaching, after you get a program winning it becomes a tradition and everyone in the town really supports the team. if you don.t believe it go up to Celina and stop in any little store and ask them about their football team. nearly every place there has a go bobcats sign in their place and I believe there is one maybe two in canton. there are any more signs promoting canton's band than the football team and that is because the band has been very successful. they have had a very good band director for a long time and great bands is a tradition in canton. it is a shame the same can't be said about the football team. it is possible for both the be very good just look at Arygle.