Should just winning be enough to keep a coaches job?

YELLOWJACKET89

So you would rather have a coach that wins wins wins and that's all he has to offer instead of a coach that might not win as much that's teaching your kid goods morals leadership skills, life skills and so on?

So you would rather have a coach that wins wins wins and that's all he has to offer instead of a coach that might not win as much that's teaching your kid goods morals leadership skills, life skills and so on?

No I wouldn't but that's exactly my point and your exactly right there's another post about coaches changes on here and EF is getting a bad wrap about king being let go that's exactly my point

Dont let homegrown get ahold of this one, he thinks you can teach the kids to be whatever characters you want in society as long as they win football games. Some of them need to ask La Vega about this ordeal with the Parr boys situation years ago.

No I wouldn't but that's exactly my point and your exactly right there's another post about coaches changes on here and EF is getting a bad wrap about king being let go that's exactly my point

EF is getting a bad Rap because the let King go without valid reasons..... at least none that were made public. If there were valid reasons then let them be known so that We not in the know will not think it was a bogus move.

EF is getting a bad Rap because the let King go without valid reasons..... at least none that were made public. If there were valid reasons then let them be known so that We not in the know will not think it was a bogus move.

Your right but I hate when this has to surface again its not just at EF its alot of schools and some might not agree no matter what they here is true

Dont let homegrown get ahold of this one, he thinks you can teach the kids to be whatever characters you want in society as long as they win football games. Some of them need to ask La Vega about this ordeal with the Parr boys situation years ago.

some ppl u just can't help no matter what. I do think winning is a very big part of a program. I'll take a winner over a loser anyday.

The answer is NO!!!!!!!!

Example Longview LOBOS

Fed players from 3 Jr. Highs every season

Talent pool never dries up

Coach over .700 percent winner

NO STATE CHAMPIONSHIP SINCE ?????? THE 1920'S, 1930'S

Not sure about date but I think they were still wearing leather helmets.........

States in the newspaper the last five years he can't earn the respect of his players!?!?!?!

The answer is NO!!!!!!!!

Example Longview LOBOS

Fed players from 3 Jr. Highs every season

Talent pool never dries up

Coach over .700 percent winner

NO STATE CHAMPIONSHIP SINCE ?????? THE 1920'S, 1930'S

Not sure about date but I think they were still wearing leather helmets.........

States in the newspaper the last five years he can't earn the respect of his players!?!?!?!

Really? Multiple 10 win seasons. Maybe the most disciplined, hard nose program in East Texas. Sends multiple players to College every season. He should be fired. I'm pretty sure another district would take their chance on hiring Coach King.

Really? Multiple 10 win seasons. Maybe the most disciplined, hard nose program in East Texas. Sends multiple players to College every season. He should be fired. I'm pretty sure another district would take their chance on hiring Coach King.

oldhornet,

No offense I can tell you are not from Longview,. I didn't get down to the nuts and bolts of why I said that . It is deeper than a win/lost record. Every year parents say I can't wait until my child graduates or I wish I would have transfered before the 10th grade.......Needed worry or stress he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.......Him and previous Coach C or in like ticks. Thanks

Should just losing be enough for a coach to be fired?

No & No

There are far too many variables that come into play when it comes to the success or failure of coaches, & the teams of teenage boys they're paid to teach. A winning program built on staff taught or condoned dirty play, UIL/school rule violations, special treatment/privileges for players, etc. should be the end of a coach, regardless of how dominant his teams may be. In the same vein, a team losing year in & year out due to injuries, lack of players or talent, grade problems, etc. should not cost a coach his job, as such things are beyond his control.

W's & L's definitely matter, but they should never be the sole issue in a coache's employment.

No! Positive role model. I do not think that winning is every thing if values go down the toilet.

IDK why yall keep bringing him up. It is well known that he didnt leave Paris for football reasons. It is also well known that the stuff about that is not going to be allowed to be rehashed on this forum. Yall need to get over this Coach Bowman is a victim charade. If you dont know anything about it, just ask the coaches on your teams coaching staff. If they are in East Texas, they know all about it, I promise you.

Hate to say this, I'm sure I'll get blasted on here...

Coaches get paid to succeed... Don't play the "great moral character" card... There are plenty of coaches out there who have great moral character AND win games...

People with their head in the sand make excuses for losing coaches... The main excuse is always "he's teaching our kids about life"... So do most coaches... And coaches who win USUALLY are coaches who show you how to be a man...

I'm not saying there are not coaches who are good guys who lose, and I'm not saying there are bad guys who win... I'm saying the characteristics of most "winners" include moral character...

I've seen winning coaches that should have been fired or replaced and I've seen losing coaches that I would keep. There are far too many variables to make this type of a decision based strictly on wins and losses. I have seen teams that had enough talent that Howdy Doody could have coached them to great success (2001-2003 Garrison) comes to mind. I have also seen outstanding coaches with less than stellar talent not quite get it done mostly because of a talent drought If you retained or fired some of them strictly based on wins and losses you would be making a big mistake.

Your right but I hate when this has to surface again its not just at EF its alot of schools and some might not agree no matter what they here is true

Yellowjacket89-- I am pretty sure you are keeping it on the surface by continuing to talk about it and STARTING a thread. What are you trying to imply? Are you saying that all Coach King did at EF was win?? If you knew anything about Coach King, you would know that he much more than a "football coach." He is caring, kind, and big hearted. He loves kids as much as he loves the game. He helped those kids academically, socially, and emotionally even when football was not in season. Did you know that his two daughters (2 & 4) loved those football boys as much as their dad? He came home and talked so highly about his players that his own children grew to love them. He didn't just coach football. He didn't just WIN football games. He was a Dad to those kids that didn't have one. Did you know that he supported the girl athletes at EF just as much as he did the boys? He cared about the overall success of Elysian Fields athletics, not just football. But more importantly, he cared about each one of those kids. Working at EF is no easy feat. Even after all the criticism (FOR NO GOOD REASON), he continued to want to be at EF and worked endless hours with NO CONTRACT to help EF succeed on and off the field. His entire family loved that community.

I don't know if Coach King's story will ever be dropped completely because it is such a mystery to everyone, even Coach King, what he did to deserve this. (Hence EF's "bad wrap" that you refer to) If you truly don't want this to keep resurfacing then I suggest you not start anymore threads. Have a nice day!