Kilgore v Kaufman

DLine06

Why wouldn't you try it if you have the speed on the edge with the corners and linebackers to run the defense effectively? Everyone is saying Kilgore will swallow us up in the trenches. So are we suppose to stand there like blocking dummies?...Here is a valid reference for us to use that tactic. ( Flashback ) It's funny how all those years Celina ran a 10-1 defense and crippled running attacks with the occasional pass offenses just like Kilgores. I truely thought to myself there is no way they could have matched up with the Italy Gladiators Size and speed or Elysian Fields (Chris Harris) or even be competitive against Carthage ...with that being said, I know we are not Celina or Henderson or Gilmer or any other school with state championships under our belts , so we got to adapt to stop Kilgore. I will be more surprised if we dont do it. I am rooting hard for our boys and just expressing from a fans point of view what I have seen work in the past. Granted our boys will have to be disciplined , play the game of their lives and have all the calls and loose balls fall our way to pull this one out.

I got a question about the Gilmer vs. Kilgore game....If Gilmer doesn't turn the ball over 5 times who would have won that game?

1. Every team we have played this year has put 9 in the box and walked LB's up in the gaps....and we have averaged 10 yds/carry. You may stop us for no gain several times, but if our backs get to the 2nd level they're gone.

2. Gilmer turnovers. The first one was a muffed kickoff return... We gave the ball right back to them on downs at the same spot. The 5th one was a bad pitch on a hook and ladder as the halftime horn was blowing... Didn't matter either. The other 3 were forced...a blocked field goal attempt, an underneath shovel pass that was punched out and another punchout. We did have a turnover at their 9 yard line as well.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Every team we have played this year has put 9 in the box and walked LB's up in the gaps....and we have averaged 10 yds/carry. You may stop us for no gain several times, but if our backs get to the 2nd level they're gone.

Exactly what I was telling someone last weekend after our game...If Kilgores backs get past the linebackers it's all over. Some very fast kids on this team.

So its pick your poison then...

1) Load the box and take you chances. (Does not work)

2)Play normal D and get blown off the ball. (Does not work)

3) Run exotic blitz defenses (Blitz every play , hasnt been mentioned...corners, stunts...etc)

I still like option 1 the best....we dont need to get involved in a track meet.

So its pick your poison then...

1) Load the box and take you chances. (Does not work)

2)Play normal D and get blown off the ball. (Does not work)

3) Run exotic blitz defenses (Blitz every play , hasnt been mentioned...corners, stunts...etc)

I still like option 1 the best....we dont need to get involved in a track meet.

Loading the box hasn't worked for most of our opponents.... Doesn't mean that It won't work for Kaufman. Gladewater defended us better than anyone we played this year.... but they do have one of the best DT's in the country.

Exactly what I was telling someone last weekend after our game...If Kilgores backs get past the linebackers it's all over. Some very fast kids on this team.

My favorite play this year was the little swing pass we threw to #3 (Foy) on the 3rd play of the game against you guys. That kid has ridiculous speed.

The thing about Kilgore's offense is the running backs break so many tackles. Believe me when I tell you this, it will take a host of players to bring their backs down almost everytime they get the ball. Arm tackling won't cut it, and it's hard to square up on them. If they get a head of steam, and get to the second level regularly, it'll be a long night. To stop Kilgore, you will have to get the running back and quarterback trapped in the backfield, or at least by the time they hit the line of scrimmage, and wrap them up. Remember to tackle LOW if you're not squared up would be the best advice for the Lion defense. Much easier said than done I promise.

If your defense can get some three and outs, and your offense can score against their defense, you can stay in the game. It's the 4th quarter when they really start wearing down the opponent's defense, earlier if you can't get stops. When Gilmer played Kilgore, our starting nose tackle, Demarco Boyd, didn't play, and that hurt our depth at that position. They wore our defense down. There was a critical third down play on Kilgore's final drive that took the wind out of our defense. Kilgore fans remember that play. Sometimes that's the way the ball bounces, and it was definitely Kilgore's night.

LoL you might wanna do some research, yes its not Kilgore but it an't Pine tree either like your making them out too be.

still hurt lol its a new year

Hey your basketball coach is calling for the floor to be mopped.... you better get back to work before somebody gets hurt...

jwm 76....to answer your question...turnovers we did deserve to lose..but take away a few of them,,the fact we never punted the whole night...offense drove up and down the field with ease over all...more offensive yards etc etc...gilmer in my opinion would of won just taking away a few of the turnovers...hard to overcome 5 against a good team

Almost game day!!

I've been reading a lot about what Kaufman has to do to win Friday night and this is how I see it ( I'm sure I'll get plenty of feedback from hendersonlionfan) it's really pretty simple.

Play mistake free football, get in the backfield and disrupt there , tackle - tackle - tackle don't give up extra yards after contact .

If we force turnovers we have to take advantage and score

We are small and we ain't gonna grow much tonight so tackle LOW !! And we're good at that , linebackers and safety's , everybody has to fly to the rock and pound.

Offensively we are a running team no doubt , but Clay Rhodes is an excellent passer we just haven't had to.

He has five good receivers to throw to , quick , they run good routes and have great hands I think this is the key to the game ........ We have to throw the ball ...... Then our running game can get going

We absolutely can not give up big plays on special teams!!!!!!!!!! Give Kilgore a short field and you're in big trouble

NOW I BELIEVE IN DANCING WITH THE ONE THAT BRUNG YA!!!! But we have to play a different game against this team , fight for one more yard , one more foot , one more inch!!! And believe in each other like they have all year

So there you go we win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol yep thats not creepy at all. LoL @ State Stephenville said Hi.

better than your o wait 1937 1a Championship lol.

Yep...enjoy watching Kilgore, Kaufman, Longview among many others while you sit on the sidelines. That state title that you brag about definitely helped y'all get do anything this year bahaha.

The thing about Kilgore's offense is the running backs break so many tackles. Believe me when I tell you this, it will take a host of players to bring their backs down almost everytime they get the ball. Arm tackling won't cut it, and it's hard to square up on them. If they get a head of steam, and get to the second level regularly, it'll be a long night. To stop Kilgore, you will have to get the running back and quarterback trapped in the backfield, or at least by the time they hit the line of scrimmage, and wrap them up. Remember to tackle LOW if you're not squared up would be the best advice for the Lion defense. Much easier said than done I promise.

If your defense can get some three and outs, and your offense can score against their defense, you can stay in the game. It's the 4th quarter when they really start wearing down the opponent's defense, earlier if you can't get stops. When Gilmer played Kilgore, our starting nose tackle, Demarco Boyd, didn't play, and that hurt our depth at that position. They wore our defense down. There was a critical third down play on Kilgore's final drive that took the wind out of our defense. Kilgore fans remember that play. Sometimes that's the way the ball bounces, and it was definitely Kilgore's night.

Yep, on several of their td runs they broke multiple tackles. Van defenders were there, just couldn't get clean enough shots on them to bring them down. I was little surprised by Kilgore offensively, I thought they were a power run team. They are not. They spread you out and make the defense play in space. IMO to beat them you need to get to their backs before they get in space. Give them a little room and their gone.

Defensively I was impressed by how quickly Kilgore adjusted. Van's opening drive went 77 yards in 11 plays for a TD. After that Kilgore's D tightened the screws down and gave up 120 more yards the rest of the game. Now Van missed on a couple big plays that were there to be had, off some deception but I don't think a team can beat Kilgore relying on those types of plays.

lol yep thats not creepy at all. LoL @ State Stephenville said Hi.

You sure like to ride everyone's coat tails. Must #### knowing your school can't keep a coach around even after winning a state title game a few years ago

better than your o wait 1937 1a Championship lol.