Texas Next Head Coach

Coach0001

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Briles is not leaving Baylor in my opinion. While he may not finish out the entirity of his new 10 year contract, I highly doubt he leaves just 2 months after signing it.

I do agree with Valhalla, Texas needs not hire anyone without a proven track record. That said, here is my list in order....

1. Jon Gruden

2. Saban

3. David Shaw

4. James Franklin

5. Pat Fitzgerald

Briles is not leaving Baylor in my opinion. While he may not finish out the entirity of his new 10 year contract, I highly doubt he leaves just 2 months after signing it.

I do agree with Valhalla, Texas needs not hire anyone without a proven track record. That said, here is my list in order....

1. Jon Gruden

2. Saban

3. David Shaw

4. James Franklin

5. Pat Fitzgerald

Wasn't Patterson on your short list earlier this year?

Grudens not leaving MNF.

Shaw is not leaving Stanford.

Franklin and Fitzgerald would leave, but I dont see either of them being asked to

Briles is a Texas guy, what better way to cap his career than at the premier school in the state, THE University of Texas?

Money, prestige, the allure of what he could accomplish with the resources at THE University of Texas.

Not playing in Toilet Bowl Stadium would also be a plus.

Saban would have a shot at NCs at 3 different schools.

I've never been a Gruden fan. I do like Shaw and Fitzgerald. I'd like somebody with some nasty. I know high powered offenses are all the rage right now but I'd love a non clapper after stupid plays and penalties!

So then why don't you like Gruden? Gruden didn't get the nickname Chucky for nothing, lol.

So then why don't you like Gruden? Gruden didn't get the nickname Chucky for nothing, lol.

Sad, the Texans will likely be in the running for Gruden, but could be easily outbid by Texas...

Rhodes and Fitzgerald are guys that I could see heading that way. Also keep an eye out for David Cutcliffe at Duke. If he can get football to win at Duke, the man can win anywhere. Cutcliffe is 8-2 at Duke this year, and is coming off a 48-30 win over Miami this week...

Not sure if Texas can talk Briles into it, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I would not want Gruden because the last time he did something significant as a football coach was over a decade ago.

That's a good point. That said, in his prime, the dude was a killer coach.

Has he expressed interest in getting back into coaching, especially at the college level?

If I were Texas, I'd go after a guy like Shaw. Saban has been a great coach, yes, but he can't stop the spread which the Big XII runs with the best of them. Shaw has completely shut down Oregon the past two seasons. He'd be primed to stop some of the Big XII's offenses, and I LOVE his style of play. Also, he's only 41 compared to the 62 of Saban. You'd have Shaw much longer, I'd guess.

What is everybody's thoughts on Trent Dilfer? Head Coach material, collegiate coordinator? I like the way he handles the elite 11 competition, the way he mentors the kids and pushing them to not only be a good player but a good person. I've never seen anybody name him in any discussion, just curious as to why.

What is everybody's thoughts on Trent Dilfer? Head Coach material, collegiate coordinator? I like the way he handles the elite 11 competition, the way he mentors the kids and pushing them to not only be a good player but a good person. I've never seen anybody name him in any discussion, just curious as to why.

No coaching experience is probably the reason.

I don't know if he wants to coach but I'd love him as a offensive coordinator. He works so well with kids. I think he'd be a great recruiter also

Dilfer is the same as Archie Manning, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, not Cooper Manning... They may be the best coaches in the world, but they make close half a mil or more just running camps, coaching up young kids, without having to hire, fire, be questioned, or even make their own playbook. They don't have to manage anything under pressure, they just work under their own terms.

Why coach when you don't really need that pressure to accomplish your goals in life? I am Mavgrad, and these are solely my opinions.

Unfortunately UT is now in a position where it needs to bring the "Name" coach in more for recruiting than coaching. The talent they are losing to A&M, Baylor, and OU is what is accelerating their decline. You can bring in the best coach in the world, but if the kids (and highschool coaches) have no attachment to them the disaster will continue. Briles is who they should have been after from the start. I have no idea why some UT-Alums think he is somehow beneath them.

Unfortunately UT is now in a position where it needs to bring the "Name" coach in more for recruiting than coaching. The talent they are losing to A&M, Baylor, and OU is what is accelerating their decline. You can bring in the best coach in the world, but if the kids (and highschool coaches) have no attachment to them the disaster will continue. Briles is who they should have been after from the start. I have no idea why some UT-Alums think he is somehow beneath them.

The sad part about that is, I said 2 years ago it was time for a change as that path was being laid out then....it's just sad that the powers that be, the 'experts', weren't expert enough to see that themselves then.