Texas Next Head Coach

Coach0001

Just saw where Franklin and Strong are the final two. Both excellent choices that can recruit well, but recruiting has not been the problem in Austin...

Totes mah-gotes.

Strong's a better politican, but Franklin's a stronger program builder. Either would make a good choice, but I think Strong is the better fit.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the very limited interviews I have seen with Strong, he seems to carry himself very well. My impression of him was a tough no nonsense guy that would demand respect from his players. UT could use a boat load of attitude and toughness and maybe he can deliver the edge they have been lacking. I have seen even less of Franklin, so I'm less excited about him.

Either way, Texas could use a head coach that COACHES who can bring assistants that can recruit. Mack was the right man at the time, but now these guys need to get more physical.

Swing and a miss here puts them behind the Aggies for a decade (unless Sumlin were to leave in the near future).

Just saw where Franklin and Strong are the final two. Both excellent choices that can recruit well, but recruiting has not been the problem in Austin...

Regardless of who they hire (and both are good coaches), their success will depend on their ability to assemble a good staff. Texas has the $$ to get the top assistants, I think Mack failed to select good ones.

Regardless of who they hire (and both are good coaches), their success will depend on their ability to assemble a good staff. Texas has the $$ to get the top assistants, I think Mack failed to select good ones.

Only recently. Before the hiring of Applewhite and Diaz, Brown had a decent track record of hiring good assistants.

As far as the coaching hire goes, I think Patterson will wait for a chance to speak to Fisher before he makes a decision between Strong or Franklin.

What is funny to me about all of this...

Texas is probably a top 5 job without a doubt. However, Saban, Briles, Mora, etc etc has rejected them so far. Do they see some speed bumps in the future that makes this job less desirable?

Also, it's funny how after 1 bad season, Patterson goes from everyone's #1 hire to not even on the phone interview call list :)

Texas is probably a top 5 job without a doubt. However, Saban, Briles, Mora, etc etc has rejected them so far. Do they see some speed bumps in the future that makes this job less desirable?

Also, it's funny how after 1 bad season, Patterson goes from everyone's #1 hire to not even on the phone interview call list :)

It's not just one bad season for TCU. They went from double digit wins the few season before joining the Big 12 to 7 last year and 4 this year.

As for the Texas coaching search, I find it very odd that just 2 days ago Briles said he was interested in talking to Texas and then today says he's not interested. Ironically, the HC of UCLA then says the same thing within the hour.

So how do we know that Texas has slimmed their list to who they want and told those coaches behind closed doors that it wouldn't be them?

It's not just one bad season for TCU. They went from double digit wins the few season before joining the Big 12 to 7 last year and 4 this year.

As for the Texas coaching search, I find it very odd that just 2 days ago Briles said he was interested in talking to Texas and then today says he's not interested. Ironically, the HC of UCLA then says the same thing within the hour.

So how do we know that Texas has slimmed their list to who they want and told those coaches behind closed doors that it wouldn't be them?

You're falling into the trap that Texas and ESPN are laying out for you. You don't KNOW that Briles WAS interested in the job. You know that ESPN's SOURCES said he was. They alluded to the same thing about Saban, and when it was all said and done, Saban said he was never interested. All of the UT fans choose to believe that all of the rumors are true and that these guys are lying. I'm sure a lot of this is gamesmanship, letting the rumors fuel the fire for more $$ at their current job. I think a lot more of it is ESPN and other sports news outlets reporting rumors in an effort to create news.

I might be wrong, but I can't remember so many contract extensions at the end of a single year. I think Mack Brown stepping down scared a lot of schools. Saban, Briles, Mora, Dantonio, Fisher, Malzahn all got extensions

You're falling into the trap that Texas and ESPN are laying out for you. You don't KNOW that Briles WAS interested in the job. You know that ESPN's SOURCES said he was. They alluded to the same thing about Saban, and when it was all said and done, Saban said he was never interested. All of the UT fans choose to believe that all of the rumors are true and that these guys are lying. I'm sure a lot of this is gamesmanship, letting the rumors fuel the fire for more $$ at their current job. I think a lot more of it is ESPN and other sports news outlets reporting rumors in an effort to create news.

Or it could be that you're falling into Saban's trap! Why would Saban come out after singing his extension and say "yea I was gonna go to Texas but I figured I'd stay here" that wouldn't be smart at all.

So I can see you point about ESPN trying to trap Texas fans into singing up for insider subscriptions but it COULD go both ways with Saban trying to sooth Tide fans saying he was never interested.

Or it could be that you're falling into Saban's trap! Why would Saban come out after singing his extension and say "yea I was gonna go to Texas but I figured I'd stay here" that wouldn't be smart at all.

So I can see you point about ESPN trying to trap Texas fans into singing up for insider subscriptions but it COULD go both ways with Saban trying to sooth Tide fans saying he was never interested.

First of all, if you'll go back and look at the "Saban to Texas?" Thread, you'll see where I basically said if he wants to go to UT, don't let the door hit you in the a$$. The guy from the UT board of regents running his mouth about "we're gonna get this guy because we're Texas and we get what we want" really left me with a sour taste about UT fans. Most are good folks, but those people are kind of like Harvey Updike, they give your whole fan base a bad name. As far as what anyone said, I guess Sabsn and Briles are both liars, saying they're happy where they are and aren't ready to leave.

First of all, if you'll go back and look at the "Saban to Texas?" Thread, you'll see where I basically said if he wants to go to UT, don't let the door hit you in the a$$. The guy from the UT board of regents running his mouth about "we're gonna get this guy because we're Texas and we get what we want" really left me with a sour taste about UT fans. Most are good folks, but those people are kind of like Harvey Updike, they give your whole fan base a bad name. As far as what anyone said, I guess Sabsn and Briles are both liars, saying they're happy where they are and aren't ready to leave.

I do remember you saying that. You may also remember me saying Saban isn't on my list for the Texas job. But to think that Saban wasn't interested in Texas at all...c'mon man!

I honestly don't believe ESPN knows who is/was on Texas' list. The only thing I've heard from Texas pay sites was Jim Mora was a candidate and Art Briles would be interested in talking to Texas. Other than that it's been all coming from ESPN.

I do remember you saying that. You may also remember me saying Saban isn't on my list for the Texas job. But to think that Saban wasn't interested in Texas at all...c'mon man!

I honestly don't believe ESPN knows who is/was on Texas' list. The only thing I've heard from Texas pay sites was Jim Mora was a candidate and Art Briles would be interested in talking to Texas. Other than that it's been all coming from ESPN.

OK, you just stated that all of your info comes from UT sites that you pay for (surely they wouldn't sensationalize an red meat to keep their paying customers coming back) and ESPN, who seems to specialize in reporting "news" out of rumors and speculation. The two coaches who have spoke publicly about the UT job have basically said "thanks but no thanks". I don't see why it's so hard to grasp that not EVERYONE wants the Texas job.

OK, you just stated that all of your info comes from UT sites that you pay for (surely they wouldn't sensationalize an red meat to keep their paying customers coming back) and ESPN, who seems to specialize in reporting "news" out of rumors and speculation. The two coaches who have spoke publicly about the UT job have basically said "thanks but no thanks". I don't see why it's so hard to grasp that not EVERYONE wants the Texas job.

No sir that's just what I've heard from pay sites. Sure they could be spinning news to make Texas look good. Like this... Briles says he turned down the job but Texas says Briles would've taken the job if he was offered.

I don't know who to believe but I bet it's somewhere in the middle of both.

Some coaches may want the job, some may not want the job, and some may be scared of the expectations. I'm not naive enough to think that every coach should drop everything and run to Texas.

Patterson is doing the right thing and taking his time and making the best hire. Rejection is part of the process some times!

They didn't exactly turn out to be the most extensive Coach search in college history and them getting "their man"- fact that 5-6 of them turned down says all you need to know about the program and reality of tu's image now...

With each post you continue to prove you know so very little about so very much. This search has been filled with rumors and false reports the entire time. More telling about the Texas program is the fact that every big time program increased their head coaches salary and length of contract once it was determined that Texas would be looking.

keep telling yourself that. whats next the LHN will be very sucessful and yall win the Nc next year lol.

You have over 12,000 post, but you have probably said the same thing 10,000 times. Once in a blue moon you post a thoughtful statement or reply but otherwise it is always the SOS. I replied to your post with facts that never mentioned the LHN or national championships. JhonnyFootball likes to stir things up too, but at least he is capable of intelligent comments.