Texas Next Head Coach

Coach0001

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you end up in a 3 way in Florida, no charges will be filed.

Hahahah hilarious!!

Even after Briles won Baylors first outright conference championship since 1980, has them playing in a BCS Bowl, got them their first 11 win season, AND has a highly ranked recruiting class coming in next year...I'd say the money, facilities, and dare I use the word "swagger" that Texas would have to offer him would be very VERY enticing for him to leave Baylor. He has Baylor on the up, but as much as it pains me to say this being an Aggie...Texas is definitely one of the most sought after coaching jobs in NCAA Football, period.

• 2 weeks later...

As a Sooner alum/fan, I would LOVE to see Jon Gruden land in Austin. I haven't been this excited about an overhyped 'Horn since the Chris Simms days.

Gruden's smart and he's got good TV charisma—he's one of my favorite analysts—but he's an NFL coaching has-been with barely a .500 record. Dude's been out of the coaching game since '08 and his recruiting connections are almost as tenuous as his Texas connections. I'm also not sure how his rather conservative West Coast-influenced passing philosophy will play out in the Big 12 or in the living rooms of Texas schoolboy QBs accustomed to airing it out. Gruden has not been the head coach of any college program, let alone one as big and pressure-packed as UT. This would be a long nightmare for the Longhorns that would surpass the Mackovic era, and could possibly send the program back years. I'm all for it!

If Franklin can win at Vandy(SEC), he most certainly can win at Texas. I don't think recruiting will be a problem, as a matter of fact I think it will be a strength similar to Texas A&M..Gonna be interesting. He isn't the biggest name on the board but I think he can get it done.JMO..Who really thought Sumlin would have such success with the Aggies..The Ags seem to be getting some of the top recruits in the State.

There is now a report that Jon Gruden is interested in the Texas job. If this is true, I think it's incredible as he's always been #1 on my list!

NO! Chuckie would be a HUGE mistake. As far as I know he has zero collegiate experience as a coach.

I've never known why Gruden was mentioned for so many head coaching jobs. Dude wins one Super Bowl and becomes john madden

Madden only has one Super Bowl victory as well, so I see the comparison. I think Gruden is a "big name" hire, but I don't see his ties to Texas. Another point is he's been out of coaching for 5 years, but as someone else said if he can bring in the right staff he could do well. However he could turn out like John Mackovic.

As a Sooner alum/fan, I would LOVE to see Jon Gruden land in Austin. I haven't been this excited about an overhyped 'Horn since the Chris Simms days.

Gruden's smart and he's got good TV charisma—he's one of my favorite analysts—but he's an NFL coaching has-been with barely a .500 record. Dude's been out of the coaching game since '08 and his recruiting connections are almost as tenuous as his Texas connections. I'm also not sure how his rather conservative West Coast-influenced passing philosophy will play out in the Big 12 or in the living rooms of Texas schoolboy QBs accustomed to airing it out. Gruden has not been the head coach of any college program, let alone one as big and pressure-packed as UT. This would be a long nightmare for the Longhorns that would surpass the Mackovic era, and could possibly send the program back years. I'm all for it!

LOL! Copy & paste from the article:

"it's important to remember what a source told CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman last week when Feldman was writing about potential candidates for the Texas job.

"Jon Gruden's the greatest tire-kicker in the history of coaching."

Kick away, Jon. Kick away."