MLB to Ban Home Plate Collisions

Stoney

Catchers will not be allowed to block home plate.

Runners will not be allowed to target the catcher.

The question on wether or not the plate was blocked or the catcher was targeted will be reviewable.

Selig strikes again.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, the game needs to speed up. When you step into the batters box, you cannot leave it until you hit, walk, k or get hit by a pitch. When you step onto the mound, you cannot get off until you are finished with that batter. I would rather of them added an EH instead of a DH...like Cheapy said, it affects the strategy of the game. Also, if you charge the mound, you are banned for the rest of the season. If you don't want them pitching inside, play soccer instead!.

Hate it, hate it, hate it! It has altered the delicate strategic balance between offense & pitching/defense for 40 years in the American League ... THE GAME is the draw, not the players ... or at least it is to me :D

I agree 100%. It's the worst change made to all of professional sports in my life time. I love watching the NL managers having to make a decision whether to send their pitcher to the plate desperately needing a run or taking him out of the game for a pinch hitter. That time honored tradition is lost to the AL and it's sad.

Hate it, hate it, hate it! It has altered the delicate strategic balance between offense & pitching/defense for 40 years in the American League ... THE GAME is the draw, not the players ... or at least it is to me :D

It may be to you, but not to most people lol.

First off, the game needs to speed up. When you step into the batters box, you cannot leave it until you hit, walk, k or get hit by a pitch. When you step onto the mound, you cannot get off until you are finished with that batter. I would rather of them added an EH instead of a DH...like Cheapy said, it affects the strategy of the game. Also, if you charge the mound, you are banned for the rest of the season. If you don't want them pitching inside, play soccer instead!.

So you wouldn't be mad if a guy that can run it up around 94 and put it where he wants buzzes your chin on purpose? They're supposed to stay in there and wear it? What about when Team A hitter pimps his homerun, everyone knows the next guy usually gets it, and that's ok to most guys as long as it is below the waist. But when they start running it up there in the shoulder area, that's just dirty. What about when Dempster was trying to hit A-Rod and missed twice or 3 times before he finally got him? Also, the EH? Seriously? The AL is a better league, top to bottom because of the DH. No pansy pitchers are automatic outs. The AL managers have decisions just like the NL managers. The AL guys choose who is going to throw 97 to who in the 7, 8, and 9th innings. The NL chooses whether or not he wants to end the inning with his pitcher as the last out with 2 guys on in the 5th or take a chance of one of bench guys who isn't good enough to make the starting 8 swing cold and use his ratty bullpen for the rest of the game.

First, the EH was a joke....get a funny bone

Second...mad, of course but you should never charge the mound, period! If its intentional then the umps will take care of it. This is baseball, not hockey!

Third, pitchers make millions of dollars, make them hit

Fourth, its cool you have a difference of opinion. That is what makes this country great

Fifth, have a good day sir!

Ok. Go ahead Mr. Pitcher, run 96 into my jawbone, that's ok. I promise I won't charge the mound because this is baseball, not hockey. Pitchers get away with hitting guys all the time without the umps thinking it was intentional. The mound gets charged in 1 of 2 scenarios, without only 1 being acceptable to me. The hitter is an idiot and has more than the legal amount of testosterone running through his body, or the pitcher tries to end someone's career and the batter gets mad, which is acceptable. I would hope the hitter would severely mangle the pitcher, like when Greinke got his collar bone broke.