UIL Eligibility question regarding a move of schools

txnative

We will be moving during the Christmas break. Location is 5+ hours away from where we currently live, so would not be a question of athletic purposes. If DD starts school on Jan. 6 when everyone starts back, will this affect her eligibility to play hs ball this year? She is a 2017, so to my understanding, would not need a release from the hs coach. Thanks!

IF you are moving into the new school district, and IF you did not move for athletic purposes, she is eligible 15 calendar days after enrollment at the new school.......

I knew there was some form of day limit. I was think 19 but 15 seems more like it. That is if the

previous school signs the release form I believe.

I haven't heard of any eligibility issues in softball, usually it's football and basketball. FYI the distance doesn't have anything to do with it, football players have been ruled ineligible that moved in from out of state.

Wow! That just seems silly to me. I would understand it being in question if it was a near-by school, but with the distance, I didn't think that would be an issue at all. Thanks for the heads up!

If student athlete played or even practiced at another school in any grades from 8th through 12th, a PAPF form is required in Texas. The athlete can play starting 15 days from the date of enrollment, but may only play subvarsity until

1) The PAPF has been filled out by the parents

2) PAPF verified by new school

3) Sent to the former school

4) Filled out by the former school

5) Sent back to the new school

6) Submitted by the new school to the DEC

7) Voted upon by the DEC....

Long process...

PAP form must be filled out by all parties involved regardless. If moving into district it's 15 days (unless not released by previous school) then it goes until appeals process is done.

And correct, distance of move does not matter.

What is this form & where would I get it? Since she did not play hs last year, would she still need this release?

If student athlete played or even practiced at another school in any grades from 8th through 12th, a PAPF form is required in Texas. The athlete can play starting 15 days from the date of enrollment, but may only play subvarsity until

1) The PAPF has been filled out by the parents

2) PAPF verified by new school

3) Sent to the former school

4) Filled out by the former school

5) Sent back to the new school

6) Submitted by the new school to the DEC

7) Voted upon by the DEC....

Long process...

Thank you! Why 8th grade? For us here, that is Jr. High, so does that really make a difference?

It makes a difference in the bigger school districts where some coaches attempt to illegally recruit at the middle school level.

Most 1A, 2A, 3A schools have feeder middle school programs because there is only one HS in the town...

But at many 4A, 5A, 6A schools... middle school students have a choice on HS's or can transfer within a school district if the district has multiple schools. (Dallas, Plano, Mckinney, Carrollton, Garland, Etc)

She is elgible to play JV ball regardless. If PAP paperwork works out...She is elgible for Varsity 15 days from enrollment in new school. If not it will be a year from enrollment date. Sounds like everything in legit so nothing should cause a problem. You must move into school district. Must not have any connections with old school district ( housing still there....siblings in school...etc ) Former coach must sign off that you did not leave for athletic purposes.

She is elgible to play JV ball regardless. If PAP paperwork works out...She is elgible for Varsity 15 days from enrollment in new school. If not it will be a year from enrollment date. Sounds like everything in legit so nothing should cause a problem. You must move into school district. Must not have any connections with old school district ( housing still there....siblings in school...etc ) Former coach must sign off that you did not leave for athletic purposes.

Great post. This is everything you need do know about the move.

PAPF is a form that ANYBODY that moves, needs to fill out.

If a potential varsity player, she will need to sit out 15 days. It's just SOP.

Like someone said above, it's more football transfers that have issues (for obvious reasons).