Off duty Malakoff cop handcuffs "reckless" 70 year old who then dies

grandbirdie

I can't get the Corsicana Daily Sun link to post but this is another of those "cop gone wild" incidents imho. Rangers may find out different but I hope someone actually gets to the bottom of it. OFF DUTY cop calls in "reckless driving". Sheriff's office gets there and 70 year old in handcuffs on the side of the road. Grandfather goes into distress, cpr, ambulance, he dies. Just who do these "peace officers" think they are???? I'm sick and tired of the attitude of cops these days. 5-0 I don't know you or your other buds on here but dammit this just plain well stinks!!! DO SOMETHING about your buds. This has to stop.

Here ya go - http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/local/x1801395051/Man-dies-after-incident-involving-off-duty-Malakoff-officer

why did he put him in handcuffs? Maybe the old guy was in the process of having a heart attack anyway...

http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/local/x1005125043/Victim-in-roadside-death-identified

apparently he was having a heart attack.

The symptoms started AFTER the S.O. arrived according to every source. If you have driven through Malakoff you know they are almost as bad as Waskom and Brownswood. I would have understood if he was speeding through Malakoff. He was EAST of CORSICANA in NAVARRO COUNTY!! Call the S.O. (which he obviously did after handcuffing the guy) FIRST, I don't care if you ARE an OFF DUTY P.O. from Podunk city. This officer was dead wrong handcuffing ANYONE in Navarro County for RECKLESS DRIVING!!! At least our Sheriff was smart enough to call in the Rangers immediately which was correct.

I can't get the Corsicana Daily Sun link to post but this is another of those "cop gone wild" incidents imho. Rangers may find out different but I hope someone actually gets to the bottom of it. OFF DUTY cop calls in "reckless driving". Sheriff's office gets there and 70 year old in handcuffs on the side of the road. Grandfather goes into distress, cpr, ambulance, he dies. Just who do these "peace officers" think they are???? I'm sick and tired of the attitude of cops these days. 5-0 I don't know you or your other buds on here but dammit this just plain well stinks!!! DO SOMETHING about your buds. This has to stop.

Without knowing the whole story let us first just all agree that a 70 year old grandpa is not the same type of person that a 70 year old grandpa was 30 years ago. I mean my brother-in-laws ex-wife mother (his sons maternal grandmother) just got busted in a big meth ring down in central Texas. Also a reckless driver at any age can lead a fatal accident, maybe even causing death lol. So let us give the officer the benefit of the doubt just like we would want the same.

Based on all available information the "cop" was being reckless, not the 70 year old. Cop on motorcycle cut off truck while weaving through some traffic. Then "pulled over" the 70 year old in his pick up, handcuffed him on the side of the road THEN called the NCSO. That's my beef. He could have called it in (if it was true) and followed the truck until NAVARRO COUNTY arrived. Highhandedness at the least on the part of this officer. Since the poor man was from out of state I don't expect to hear another damn word about this officer. Brush it under the carpet guys. Hope it's not you next time.

^ True. The whole point is - why handcuff him? He's old, where's he going to go? Start tottering up the road?

The cop should've been in the mode of "Sir, are you okay, can I offer you assistance" or something to that effect....

He may have said that for all we know and the old man went left on him. Not enough info here. Old men can and will attack people and yes, have killed people, too. If he was fighting with the officer that could have been what led to the heart attack. That may be a question we'll never know. As far as him stopping the elderly man where he did...maybe his reckeless driving was bad enough that he thought he was about to cause a deadly collision. If so, I would support his actions in getting the man stopped.

Using this article, the situation could have played out exactly like this....

-- Malakoff off duty officer witnesses truck pulling a trailer on Hwy 31 swerving at oncoming traffic going at a high rate of speed nearly causing numerous collisions. He is able to get the attention of the truck's driver and they both stopped. The elderly man gets out of the truck and tries to attack the officer. In order to subdue the man without injury, the officer handcuffs him and has him sit down beside the truck and await the ageny with appropriate juridiction. --

Now without anyone's testimony to say what happened, making an assumption at this point as to exactly what happened would be irresponsible and it would have come from a position of ignorance.

grandbirdie, when you disagree with how things are done, you try to instill change. I too disagreed with the way cops did things to the point I became one. At least this way, I know that I get to take the spot rather than some dirt bag. So with that being said, please take the place of some dirt bag cop so that it can be done the right way.

You might just find out that things aren't always black and white when it comes to law enforcement. Let me know when you make that leap of faith.

For your information my brother is a retired Houston officer and one of my degrees is in criminal justice. My support of law enforcement was FIRM until proven,yes proven, to me PERSONALLY that the current population of officers has some VERY bad eggs. When you want to hear the side of the employers, the public, let me know. Good ole boys rule. I've said before not all are bad but those that are have caused our trust and faith in the others to fail. Don't presume you know all about me. If you had talked to witnesses as I have you would think different

For your information my brother is a retired Houston officer and one of my degrees is in criminal justice. My support of law enforcement was FIRM until proven,yes proven, to me PERSONALLY that the current population of officers has some VERY bad eggs. When you want to hear the side of the employers, the public, let me know. Good ole boys rule. I've said before not all are bad but those that are have caused our trust and faith in the others to fail. Don't presume you know all about me. If you had talked to witnesses as I have you would think different

For a long time my sister was a police officer as well, but her personal experiences could in no way assist me in knowing what law enforcement was all about. A criminal justice degree? please tell me how that assisted you in knowing what police officers "personally" went through while on the job?

Now then, you stated to 5-0 and I quote "Just who do these "peace officers" think they are???? I'm sick and tired of the attitude of cops these days. 5-0 I don't know you or your other buds on here but dammit this just plain well stinks!!! DO SOMETHING about your buds. This has to stop."

You presume to lump 5-0 and other good police officers with officers like that. It's even more presumptuous on your part to even call someone like that one of 5-0's buds. I didn't like how "some" of the police officers were conducting business, so I became one. Now, less than ten years later I am a shift supervisor and the officers under me have to do things my way. I didn't just sit back and rely on others to do what needed to be done.

Now then, like I said before. It's easy to sit back and Monday morning quarterback coulda, shoulda, woulda. But until you're out there, experiencing on your own, you only think you know how you'll respond when the chips are down. So I guess you going out and becoming a police officer is totally out of the question?

As I will tell you and I'm pretty sure 5-0 will say as well. We would love for some really good people to come into the profession to take the place of the rotten apples, but that just isn't going to happen. Instead, the rapists, the thieves, the drug dealers will all come into the work place to become cops and people like you will want to link them to 5-0 and me even though "we" want nothing to do with them.

The man driving the pickup was my dad. My family and I are desperately seeking individuals that may have been on the highway that day and witnessed anything. My dad was a good man and we know that he was forced off of the road and then handcuffed by an off duty police officer that did not call the police, but, took the law into his own hands, which led to my father's death. These actions are unforgivable....please help us in finding more people with information. We are desperate....this officer should never have the opportunity to do this to anybody's loved one again. It could happen to your family member next. This was a horrible shock to our family. My dad loved Christmas, we love you dad and we will get justice for you. THIS WILL NOT BE SWEPT UNDER THE RUG. Texas please help....my dad loved the great state of TEXAS. Please do him justice.

The man driving the pickup was my dad. My family and I are desperately seeking individuals that may have been on the highway that day and witnessed anything. My dad was a good man and we know that he was forced off of the road and then handcuffed by an off duty police officer that did not call the police, but, took the law into his own hands, which led to my father's death. These actions are unforgivable....please help us in finding more people with information. We are desperate....this officer should never have the opportunity to do this to anybody's loved one again. It could happen to your family member next. This was a horrible shock to our family. My dad loved Christmas, we love you dad and we will get justice for you. THIS WILL NOT BE SWEPT UNDER THE RUG. Texas please help....my dad loved the great state of TEXAS. Please do him justice.

1mompi, first thing is to get the media involved. I doubt very seriously that anyone on this forum would have been on that highway at the time and witnessed anything. But Bill O'Reilly or Nancy Grace would have the resources of getting word out and if someone was on the highway at that time and did witness it, they would make contact with the proper authorities.

I hope that helps and I'm sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss but there is still two sides to every story and I withhold judgement until the facts come out.

IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF ANYONE THAT CAN HELP US FURTHER PLEASE URGE THEM TO CONTACT THE TEXAS RANGERS ASAP.....WE KNOW THAT THE OFF DUTY COP WAS NOT IN ANY WAY ABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED AS A POLICE OFFICER AND WAS DRIVING WRECKLESSLY TRYING TO RUN MY DAD OFF OF THE ROAD...I'M SURE HE WAS TERRIFIED, HE WAS PULLING A VERY HEAVY LOAD AND WAS TRYING EVERY WAY POSSIBLE TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT, THERE ARE OTHER FACTS THAT WE KNOW...THIS WAS A MAJOR WRONG DOING BY THE OFF DUTY OFFICER....WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF IT WAS YOUR LOVED ONE? PLEASE HELP US....WE ARE BEGGING ANYONE THAT HAS INFORMATION. THANK YOU

IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF ANYONE THAT CAN HELP US FURTHER PLEASE URGE THEM TO CONTACT THE TEXAS RANGERS ASAP.....WE KNOW THAT THE OFF DUTY COP WAS NOT IN ANY WAY ABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED AS A POLICE OFFICER AND WAS DRIVING WRECKLESSLY TRYING TO RUN MY DAD OFF OF THE ROAD...I'M SURE HE WAS TERRIFIED, HE WAS PULLING A VERY HEAVY LOAD AND WAS TRYING EVERY WAY POSSIBLE TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT, THERE ARE OTHER FACTS THAT WE KNOW...THIS WAS A MAJOR WRONG DOING BY THE OFF DUTY OFFICER....WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF IT WAS YOUR LOVED ONE? PLEASE HELP US....WE ARE BEGGING ANYONE THAT HAS INFORMATION. THANK YOU

Again, I doubt very seriously that anyone on this forum was on that particular road, and at that particular time. You would have a better shot of getting help from Nancy Grace or Bill O'Reilly.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI Corsicana Daily Sun and Malakoff News have new information on this paragon of the police force. I hope if I ever get pulled over it's by a 5-0 type officer but these types are muddying the waters for the citizens. Not listed on those two papers but there is also a report of another "vehicle incident" when he was in Ferris and "entered the road hitting the suspect". This was a Rice, Texas incident. Since Rice is in Navarro County too maybe he just thinks our own can't handle business here. hmmmm Ernest Fierro is the officer's name, released yesterday. Seems he has a problem with driving and maybe even the truth even to his own agencies.

FYI Corsicana Daily Sun and Malakoff News have new information on this paragon of the police force. I hope if I ever get pulled over it's by a 5-0 type officer but these types are muddying the waters for the citizens. Not listed on those two papers but there is also a report of another "vehicle incident" when he was in Ferris and "entered the road hitting the suspect". This was a Rice, Texas incident. Since Rice is in Navarro County too maybe he just thinks our own can't handle business here. hmmmm Ernest Fierro is the officer's name, released yesterday. Seems he has a problem with driving and maybe even the truth even to his own agencies.

Thanks for the update and here's an old 2008 Dallas Morning News article...

Former troubled DPD cop now wears badge for DA

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2008/08/former-troubled-dpd-cop-now-we.html/

Malakoff cop involved in Navarro County death had sketchy Dallas past

http://www.malakoffnews.net/2014/01/09/malakoff-cop-involved-in-navarro-county-death-had-sketchy-dallas-past/

• 1 month later...

FYI indicted.

Home / Malakoff / Malakoff officer bonds out of Weatherford jail after indictment

Feb

Malakoff officer bonds out of Weatherford jail after indictment

Posted by : Erik Walsh | On : February 21, 2014

Category:Malakoff

Fierro-WEB-211x300.jpg

Malakoff officer bonds out of Weatherford jail after indictment

By Russell Slaton

The News Correspondent

Malakoff Police officer Ernest Fierro bonded out of the Parker County jail in Weatherford Thursday evening, after turning himself in on capias warrants issued after indictments in Corsicana Wednesday alleging aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, official oppression and reckless driving.

For the alleged aggravated assault with a deadly weapon offense, the weapon is the vehicle Fierro was driving, which was a motorcycle, Navarro County District Attorney Lowell Thompson said Friday. Once paperwork is returned from Parker County, then the alleged offenses will be put on a district court docket, Thompson said. An arraignment, therefore, has not been set, he added.

The warrants were served Thursday, following a Navarro County grand jury’s findings the day before. Because Fierro was not already in custody or under bond for the charges, state law precluded the Malakoff police officer’s grand jury results from being released until the warrants were served, according to Section 20.22 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.

Parker County online records show that Fierro was released at 5:45 p.m. Thursday after posting $78,000 in bonds through a Weatherford bondsman: $75,000 for the aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge, $2,500 for official oppression, and $500 for reckless driving. The site showed Fierro was confined initially at 5:11 p.m. The website listed a Dallas address for Fierro.

According to the Texas penal code, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon is a first-degree felony when committed “by a public servant acting under color of the servant’s office or employment,” while official oppression and reckless driving are misdemeanors. First-degree felonies can include state imprisonment from 5 to 99 years, or a life term. Those felonies also can include a fine up to $10,000. First-degree felonies are the second-most serious charges under state law, behind capital felonies, which are eligible for the death penalty.

At issue was a roadside incident that took place Dec. 11 in which William Livezey of Iowa later died. Callers to Navarro County’s 911 system reported reckless driving on Highway 31 near Chambers Creek, east of Corsicana, which later was confirmed to be between Livezey and a Malakoff off-duty police officer, who was later identified as Fierro. Navarro County deputies arrived on the scene to find Livezey in handcuffs. Once Livezey fell ill, deputies removed the handcuffs and took Livezey to Navarro Regional Hospital, where he later died. An autopsy report later attributed the cause of death as heart disease, and its manner as “natural.” More details of the incident have been kept under wraps officially while the investigation proceeded.