3A Division II Championship ARGYLE (15-0) vs FAIRFIELD (15-0)

ADKargyleTCU12

Championship  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which Eagle Wins?

• Argyle
    • Fairfield

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have prepared some stats for those of you that like to look at those kind of things. Although I am an Argyle homer, I want to be educated for this game as a fan so that I can try to look at the game objectively prior to the game. All DOD friends welcome in the Argyle section to shake those "shakers" with us!

Fairfield
Opponent W/L 84-91
Opponent Average State Rank 426.6
Average Points Scored 57.3
Average Points Given Up 9.2
State Rank 19
National Rank 141

Argyle
Opponent W/L 106-73
Opponent Average State Rank 321.9
Average Points Scored 51.7
Average Points Given Up 12.7
State Rank 11
National Rank 84

By the looks of the above numbers, both teams have dynamic scoring offenses and shutdown defenses. Upon further analysis, Fairfield has not played nearly the teams that Argyle has, on the whole. Fairfield's best 4 wins came against Navasota (ranked 68 in TX), Rockdale (ranked 134 in TX), Connally (ranked 141 in TX), and Sinton (ranked 174 in TX). Argyle's best 4 wins came against Graham (ranked 30 in TX), Gilmer (ranked 37 in TX), Nolan Catholic (ranked 96 in TX), and Celina (ranked 111 in TX). Argyle has more quality wins than Fairfield. Now, this may not mean that Argyle will win, obviously, but it does mean that Argyle has been tested by teams closer to their talent level more often.

Going to keep digging into the numbers... Go Eagles! ... Argyle that is. smile.gif

I have prepared some stats for those of you that like to look at those kind of things. Although I am an Argyle homer, I want to be educated for this game as a fan so that I can try to look at the game objectively prior to the game. All DOD friends welcome in the Argyle section to shake those "shakers" with us!

Fairfield

Opponent W/L 84-91

Opponent Average State Rank 426.6

Average Points Scored 57.3

Average Points Given Up 9.2

State Rank 19

National Rank 141

Argyle

Opponent W/L 106-73

Opponent Average State Rank 321.9

Average Points Scored 51.7

Average Points Given Up 12.7

State Rank 11

National Rank 84

By the looks of the above numbers, both teams have dynamic scoring offenses and shutdown defenses. Upon further analysis, Fairfield has not played nearly the teams that Argyle has, on the whole. Fairfield's best 4 wins came against Navasota (ranked 68 in TX), Rockdale (ranked 134 in TX), Connally (ranked 141 in TX), and Sinton (ranked 174 in TX). Argyle's best 4 wins came against Graham (ranked 30 in TX), Gilmer (ranked 37 in TX), Nolan Catholic (ranked 96 in TX), and Celina (ranked 111 in TX). Argyle has more quality wins than Fairfield. Now, this may not mean that Argyle will win, obviously, but it does mean that Argyle has been tested by teams closer to their talent level more often.

Going to keep digging into the numbers... Go Eagles! ... Argyle that is. smile.gif

Good stuff ADK! Many great weeks in the books and a great week ahead! Are you able to attach a poll to the thread as well? How bout them Argyle Eagles?!? With a healthy battle tested contingent at the SC this week along with perfect conditions, I like our chances! And I am not alone in believing and saying that this is Argyle's year!

Argyle by 7

Although Fairfield may be the first team that can take them to the wire this season. The match up in the trenches is priceless. Fairfield's speed can match Argyle's. It'll come down to execution. What a great match up for the State Championship. One I picked would happen in week 2.

Played Fairfield in scrimmage and they have some hosses,I think Fairfield has one of those classes that most schools wait for and they have reached the game that everyone wishes for but Argyle is very experienced in playoffs and considered a power but more importantly they are just a talented and great team. Argyle 35-28

Strength of schedule always makes for an interesting debate. A teams historical past is usually brought into a lot of those same debates as well. But the fact is that 179 other teams in 3A failed to make it to the Championship game. Argyle, Fairfield, Carthage, and Kilgore ALL EARNED their spot. The one's that seem to have the strongest opinion that Fairfield will not even compete with Argyle or that they shouldn't be in this game, have not witnessed what this team has been through and the heart that they played with this special season. They have under estimated no one all season, and I don't think that they will start now. With an outstanding coaching staff and the whole community behind them, they will be ready. Don't make the mistake of under estimating them!

Fairfield is for real no doubt but so is Argyle.Argyle has knocked off nearly everyones favorite to win it all before the season in Gilmer.Fairfield took out the defending State Champs on their home field.Good luck to our Freestone County neighbors as they will play their strongest foe yet on the biggest stage there is.

Strength of schedule always makes for an interesting debate. A teams historical past is usually brought into a lot of those same debates as well. But the fact is that 179 other teams in 3A failed to make it to the Championship game. Argyle, Fairfield, Carthage, and Kilgore ALL EARNED their spot. The one's that seem to have the strongest opinion that Fairfield will not even compete with Argyle or that they shouldn't be in this game, have not witnessed what this team has been through and the heart that they played with this special season. They have under estimated no one all season, and I don't think that they will start now. With an outstanding coaching staff and the whole community behind them, they will be ready. Don't make the mistake of under estimating them!

+1. Great post and as it should be. Our Eagles feel the same way and have nothing but respect for how difficult the playoff road for each worthy team has been. Great season and prayers for an injury free exciting and memorable final for all involved! Great memories being made weekly! God bless all the players and fans with safe travels in what will be a very exciting weekend!

I can tell you first hand this Fairfield team is very good. I have seen Fairfield up close and personal and they have the ability to scratch you where it itches. That is the big key to me, is both of these teams have the ability to run and throw. Both have a good defense.

One thing Fairfield is going to need to do is to continue to create turnovers. They have done that all year. Created turnovers, and scored off of them to change momentum.

Against Palestine it was 14-0 with Palestine driving late in the 2nd quarter. It was very much a game with about 4 minutes left before half. Palestine turns the ball over, and before you know it what was possibly about to be 14-7 at half, became 28-0.

Argyle is very good too for sure though. Should be a great game. I do think these are the two best teams in 3a d2. I do not think the state championship game happened in round 3, I think it happens this weekend.