3A Division II Championship ARGYLE (15-0) vs FAIRFIELD (15-0)

ADKargyleTCU12

Championship  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which Eagle Wins?

• Argyle
    • Fairfield

Hey Regal! How bout that young Mr. Hedlund! I don't recall watching a Cowboys game where so many sailed so deep into the end zone! I don't think that anyone would be wise to challenge he and his brother to an rear end kicking contest!!!

Youch!

HaHa...yep, the Hedlund Brothers are kicking their way to fame and maybe fortune too! Brother Chad not only kicks for Wake Forest, but he's on their excellent men's soccer team as well. And Cole now holds several national high school records that will be difficult for anyone to break, and will be heading to Arkansas as their kicker...unless another team snares him and changes his mind. Good things ahead for the Hedlunds, no pun intended.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the 'ship Argyle. I listened to this one on the radio on my way home and it was highly entertaining. I'll have to admit I was pulling for FF, based solely on the Cinderella factor. I think FF definitely proved that they were the real deal, but Argyle was just a little bit better.

So here's the rundown on the Argyle players that will have been offered D1 College scholarships so far:

Ian Sadler, reciever,et al....Texas Tech

Connor Wilson, safety/db....Texas Tech

Sam Sizelove, Lb....Kansas State

Nick Ralston(still a junior),RB....Arizona State(will get other offers next year)

Micah Capra, Def.Lineman....Air Force & Boise State

Colton Hinnrichs, Lb....has been offered but I don't recall by whom.

Cole Hedlund, Kicker...Arkansas

Reese Thompson, Track....University of Texas

There's sure to be others that will be offered before National signing day...some to smaller schools. But so far 8 players on this team are offered scholarships from Division 1 universities across the nation. That's very impressive, esp. for a school the size of Argyle with an enrollment of less than 700 students. Have to give it up for the Argyle coaching staff and athletic program starting from a young age.

You will recall that Austin Aune was in Spring practice at TCU as a qb when the NY Yankees offered him as their 2nd pick 2 seasons ago. And Argyle already has had maybe 10 other players play D1 football in its 11-year history. So yes, the program is very top-notch. And then there's basketball, baseball, and track athletes that have been offered thru the years as well. Argyle isn't winning Lone Star Cups by accident, LOL.

BTW, I fully expect qb Brandon Boyzuick to be offered by several universities in baseball, and maybe a few smaller schools in football. His abilities are overshadowed because of Ian Sadler, and thus his opportunities were very limited with this team this season. But he does have size, speed, and skills. From what I understand, he'll be taking a baseball scholarship, though.

Thank you for the very kind words Playmaker! (I had to double check to make sure I was still on Smoaky here!) Merry Christmas to you and yours, and thanks for your fine posts! Your prediction was very close! How bout them Eagles?!? Both groups of them! As Ian Sadler said so graciously after the game, he was blessed as were we all by this one! What a finale! Fine season and game Fairfield! Congrats indeed! Your coach did a great job of leading positively and not letting the early momentum get his team down. And a lot of emotion and heart during this one and still now! Not sure that this will stand as the most exciting game this year, but it should be close! I am so pleased for Coach Rodgers and his staff and for our beloved Argyle Eagles! Thanks for not only this championship, but for all the great seasons leading up to it in past years and for the great memories and lessons! Thanks to GolfingNut and the Bears and to jackpots and all the Gilmerites and other DOD folks who battle tested and afterwards who stood with our Eagles! And congrats to Carthage and Kilgore on a great game and season for both! Delighted for Carthage and her great fan Pops and his daughter and family! A lot of marvelous teams and stories should leave room for much discussion! Doesn't get any better than today and 3A small town Texas football! Merry Christmas to all who have been a part of this banner day! I know this one has to be very sweet for Regal and his son, who played in Argyle's first title game some years ago at Rose Stadium! Can you hear em Regal and ADK?!? I hear the pipes calling!

http://youtu.be/PSH0eRKq1lE

We did it! Go Argyle!

So here's the rundown on the Argyle players that will have been offered D1 College scholarships so far:

Nick Ralston(still a junior),RB....Arizona State(will get other offers next year)

There's sure to be others that will be offered before National signing day...some to smaller schools. But so far 8 players on this team are offered scholarships from Division 1 universities across the nation. That's very impressive, esp. for a school the size of Argyle with an enrollment of less than 700 students. Have to give it up for the Argyle coaching staff and athletic program starting from a young age.

You will recall that Austin Aune was in Spring practice at TCU as a qb when the NY Yankees offered him as their 2nd pick 2 seasons ago. And Argyle already has had maybe 10 other players play D1 football in its 11-year history. So yes, the program is very top-notch. And then there's basketball, baseball, and track athletes that have been offered thru the years as well. Argyle isn't winning Lone Star Cups by accident, LOL.

BTW, I fully expect qb Brandon Boyzuick to be offered by several universities in baseball, and maybe a few smaller schools in football. His abilities are overshadowed because of Ian Sadler, and thus his opportunities were very limited with this team this season. But he does have size, speed, and skills. From what I understand, he'll be taking a baseball scholarship, though.

Great post Regal! Will be fun following the progress of all these who are moving on!

Played Fairfield in scrimmage and they have some hosses,I think Fairfield has one of those classes that most schools wait for and they have reached the game that everyone wishes for but Argyle is very experienced in playoffs and considered a power but more importantly they are just a talented and great team. Argyle 35-28

Found one of your earlier posts Playmaker that was pretty dadgum accurate!

That was such an incredible game. Sadler and Rose were just beastly. I am a very proud alum. Congratulations to Fairfield on a great season. I did not think another 3A team in the state could keep up with Argyle but I was wrong, FF came to play and had me very nervous. Go ARGYLE!

Interesting coincidence regarding your poll here ADK. It stood at the end of the game at 37-43 while the poll on another site ended at 43-37. Total the two for an 80 to 80 dead heat! How bout them Eagles?!?

Incredible game. I was so exhausted at the end of the game I couldn't celebrate. I do have one question. Why does the Argyle coach take the field goal instead of the off-side penalty since they had FF on their heels at that point. They would have the ball 1st and 10 at the 12 and if Argyle scores a touchdown the score is 21-3. What a psychological edge. To me a huge coaching mistake. What does anyone else think?

Incredible game. I was so exhausted at the end of the game I couldn't celebrate. I do have one question. Why does the Argyle coach take the field goal instead of the off-side penalty since they had FF on their heels at that point. They would have the ball 1st and 10 at the 12 and if Argyle scores a touchdown the score is 21-3. What a psychological edge. To me a huge coaching mistake. What does anyone else think?

I know what play you're talking about and I completely agree! The only thing is that it was actually a running into the kicker penalty which was for 5 yards. I think coach Rodgers just didn't realize that it was 4th and 4 and that the penalty would have given them the first down. I was shocked by that as well.

Here are some articles from last night's Argyle Eagles victory!

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20131220-football-sadlers-performance-was-second-to-none.ece

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20131220-football-argyle-holds-off-fairfield-to-win-first-state-title.ece

http://lonestargridiron.com/2013/12/20/argyle-rallies-behind-sadler-and-late-defensive-stop-to-win-thriller-against-fairfield/

I know what play you're talking about and I completely agree! The only thing is that it was actually a running into the kicker penalty which was for 5 yards. I think coach Rodgers just didn't realize that it was 4th and 4 and that the penalty would have given them the first down. I was shocked by that as well.

Here are some articles from last night's Argyle Eagles victory!

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20131220-football-sadlers-performance-was-second-to-none.ece

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20131220-football-argyle-holds-off-fairfield-to-win-first-state-title.ece

http://lonestargridiron.com/2013/12/20/argyle-rallies-behind-sadler-and-late-defensive-stop-to-win-thriller-against-fairfield/

I don't know how he didn't know. The FF players stayed on the field knowing it would be 1st and 10. That was astonishing.

I attended this game, great game, congratulations to Argyle on its State Championship, Ian Sadler was like Superman, he wasn't going to be denied, that one catch he made at his showlaces in stride, was pretty amazing! Congrats again, great team effort also!

Congrats also to Fairfield for making it to the Championship Game!

well i got to eat a little crow on fairfield account....just did not think they were real deal....but they was....i am so happy for my yuppie friends , scottie and regal and all the rest of the yupies up their....ian and rose are two of the best hi school players i have ever saw and i will be lookig for them in future....one sad note is football is nearly over and will have to wait till next year to read and post on smoaky....so ill then.....so lonh and merry christmas and happy new year

Sadler is the REAL DEAL, i loved the way the Coach utilized his talents. Not impressed with the FS at all. Makes you wonder how some of these kids get these big offers. This was one of the best hs games i've witnessed. Fairfield had the better offense and defense. Argyle special teams was so superior it changed the game. The fake punt by Sadler that went down inside the 5, the punt return td and all the touchbacks by the kicker absolutely won this game for Argyle. I predicted 35-31 fairfield and was wrong. Congrats to Argyle and particularly Sadler. Without him this one would have been ugly.

well i got to eat a little crow on fairfield account....just did not think they were real deal....but they was....i am so happy for my yuppie friends , scottie and regal and all the rest of the yupies up their....ian and rose are two of the best hi school players i have ever saw and i will be lookig for them in future....one sad note is football is nearly over and will have to wait till next year to read and post on smoaky....so ill then.....so lonh and merry christmas and happy new year

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also jackpots! God bless you and yours and Gilmer, Texas!

Thanks Golfingnut! God bless you and your Bears and Merry Christmas to your fine community! What a year for the DOD!

Thanks Scotland!!! Merry Christmas to you & to Regal and the very best in 2014!!! Really enjoyed all the talk back and forth this year. Congrats to all of Argyle and good luck to all the SR class who will be moving on to greater things. My nephews both graduated from TT, and my sister's family has season tickets, so I will love going to see Ian play again in the future.And also Connor Wilson.

Let's stay in touch!!!! I am honored to have such great new friends in you and Regal!!! Blessings to you both and your families!!!

Sadler is the REAL DEAL, i loved the way the Coach utilized his talents. Not impressed with the FS at all. Makes you wonder how some of these kids get these big offers. This was one of the best hs games i've witnessed. Fairfield had the better offense and defense. Argyle special teams was so superior it changed the game. The fake punt by Sadler that went down inside the 5, the punt return td and all the touchbacks by the kicker absolutely won this game for Argyle. I predicted 35-31 fairfield and was wrong. Congrats to Argyle and particularly Sadler. Without him this one would have been ugly.

You saw one lousy game of Argyle all year...what do you know??? Without Rose Fairfield would have not have made the final...how do you like that reasoning!!! This team won DESPITE losing TWO of its starting LB's for the season...one in Week 5(all-district last year) and the other in Week 9(all-state last season). Your post is typical of someone with a biased and uninformed viewpoint. I am here to counter that on this site. Is it any wonder most ALL prognosticators had Argyle as the Preseason #1 in 3A??? Your Fairfield team had a great season, allbeit against lesser competition. Had they been in Region 2, they may not have made it that far. For all you know, Rose could have become injured for the season like some of Argyle's key players, and then where would this Fairfield team have ended, huh??? Argyle made it all the way DESPITE the injuries. That's how slanted your view is. Without Rose, your Fairfield Eagles are not near the team as Argyle. So don't go posting idiotic statements like the one above and expect real football followers to swallow it. Just ain't the real truth...that's all.

Sadler is a big part of that team but to say that without him it would have been ugly. There is no merit in that. Argyle is better top to bottom. I think you are just bitter. I will say FF surprised many including myself. That is good team. Argyle just better.

Whatever let's you sleep at night. But chew on this punkin: If our LBs are healthy then the middle is blocked up and Rose take a number of shots from Sizelove and Hackney. FF probably has to start passing and Argyle ends up with 5 INTs. Argyle has a short field for the whole game and the score ends up 45-3. My point here is that none of this is reality. You can't go to Vegas and say deal the card again. It is what it is. Sizelove and Hackney were hurt, Argyle coach doesn't take the penalty, and Rose gets run down at the end of the game. Nobody likes to lose. We hated it in 2011 and a lot of people here said Argyle would win 9 out of 10 games with Wimberly. But, it ain't baseball. Not 3 out of 5 games. It's one game for all the marbles. If FF has a lot of kids returning you'll get your chance next year. This year GO ARGYLE EAGLES.

You saw one lousy game of Argyle all year...what do you know??? Without Rose Fairfield would have not have made the final...how do you like that reasoning!!! This team won DESPITE losing TWO of its starting LB's for the season...one in Week 5(all-district last year) and the other in Week 9(all-state last season). Your post is typical of someone with a biased and uninformed viewpoint. I am here to counter that on this site. Is it any wonder most ALL prognosticators had Argyle as the Preseason #1 in 3A??? Your Fairfield team had a great season, allbeit against lesser competition. Had they been in Region 2, they may not have made it that far. For all you know, Rose could have become injured for the season like some of Argyle's key players, and then where would this Fairfield team have ended, huh??? Argyle made it all the way DESPITE the injuries. That's how slanted your view is. Without Rose, your Fairfield Eagles are not near the team as Argyle. So don't go posting idiotic statements like the one above and expect real football followers to swallow it. Just ain't the real truth...that's all.

Why are you so bent out of shape? I'm not a FF fan. Which of my statements were idiotic? It is an unbiased opinion. Are you the "real football follower". Anybody that watched the game thats not an argyle homer would come to the same conclusion. Special teams won the game. Argyle has a true superstar who willed his team to victory. Lighten up Francis. Again, congrats to the boys from Argyle!

Why are you so bent out of shape? I'm not a FF fan. Which of my statements were idiotic? It is an unbiased opinion. Are you the "real football follower". Anybody that watched the game thats not an argyle homer would come to the same conclusion. Special teams won the game. Argyle has a true superstar who willed his team to victory. Lighten up Francis. Again, congrats to the boys from Argyle!

Could be Bent out of shape because the statement about if they didn't have Sadler it would have been ugly discredits the rest of the Argyle team.

Regaleagle, Scottie, and all my other buds in Argyle; Congrats on a fine year in football and for taking home the gold! Would have really liked to have seen our Dawgs and your Eagles play.......would have been intense! Always enjoy your posts. I was planning on staying to watch the game, but my wife and I had two young granddaughters to take care of at home. Will watch the game though.....Who knows, both of our teams going 4A Div 1, we may see each other down the road....Dawgs will be trying to reload......Have a great rest of the school year! Merry Christmas to you all!