3A Division II Championship ARGYLE (15-0) vs FAIRFIELD (15-0)

ADKargyleTCU12

Championship  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which Eagle Wins?

• Argyle
    • Fairfield

Quote from Bluegoose1: Fairfield's top two players: Bryson Gates OLB/WR - Committed to Colorado State. Larry Rose RB/DB - No offers. I'll stick with my original pick Argyle 35-14...If Sizelove the Kansas State Commit was playing I would probably go up to a 28 pt win, he's simply that good. Argyle has to much depth, more impact players and in my opinion the championship game was a few weeks ago when Argyle played Gilmer!

+1000. Good info! Really sad when great kids get injured in their senior year, but no doubt he will bounce back!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to scottie and regal and all the other yuppies there....I don't want to siderract this argil-Fairfield posting but everyone I talked to in gilmer wants us to play each other in non districk games but it is up to the coaches ....since I don't have our coaches ear maby he tunes in and give us what the fans want....he probally wont but that is what we want....we could meet in half way place like Greenville or sulfur springs or terral .....COACH GIVE US WHAT WE WANT FOR A CHANGE :P :D :lol:

Would love to see the matchups carry on as well jackpots! Lot of great history to build on although hard to match a lot of great moments already! The players and coaches who have seen all four years of it are going to really have a lot to tell their grandkids about!

Quote from Bluegoose1: Fairfield's top two players: Bryson Gates OLB/WR - Committed to Colorado State. Larry Rose RB/DB - No offers. I'll stick with my original pick Argyle 35-14...If Sizelove the Kansas State Commit was playing I would probably go up to a 28 pt win, he's simply that good. Argyle has to much depth, more impact players and in my opinion the championship game was a few weeks ago when Argyle played Gilmer!

+1000. Good info! Really sad when great kids get injured in their senior year, but no doubt he will bounce back!

That's the mark of championship teams- DEPTH. Just like a couple yrs ago when Sadler got hurt. He was the team MVP that year IMO.

That's the mark of championship teams- DEPTH. Just like a couple yrs ago when Sadler got hurt. He was the team MVP that year IMO.

Great post Playmaker! Thank you!

That was a tough one, along with Austin Aune being sick with the flu and still putting up a gallant effort. But Ian battled back, and the best to date of some of the rest of his fine story is a weekend away!! Gilmer also has overcome some heartbreaking senior injuries in recent history along with other championship teams as you pointed out!

ScotlandtheBrave you should make sure your info is correct you post. Your info is incorrect on Gates and Rose. Gates decommited and Rose has more than enough offers..the fact is both teams have outstanding talent and it should be a great championship game.

ScotlandtheBrave you should make sure your info is correct you post. Your info is incorrect on Gates and Rose. Gates decommited and Rose has more than enough offers..the fact is both teams have outstanding talent and it should be a great championship game.

Point taken! I apologize to the deserving young men you mention! All the best to all of these lads moving forward and they deserve an accurate reporting of their achievements! Thank you for the clarification, and prayers for a great injury free championship!

This should be a great game and am impressed that Fairfield broke the scoring record. I've heard both sides say their starters only played the first half of most games. So I decided to gather those stats(for the first half only). Both Offensive and Defensive:

Offense

Fairfield 1st half total points: 384 (38.4 Points per game)

Argyle 1st half total points: 389 (38.9 Points per game)

Defense

Fairfield 1st half points allowed: 48 (4.8ppg)

Argyle 1st half points allowed: 20 (2.0ppg)

For the record, I am an Argyle fan and think they will win 42-21

This should be a great game and am impressed that Fairfield broke the scoring record. I've heard both sides say their starters only played the first half of most games. So I decided to gather those stats(for the first half only). Both Offensive and Defensive:

Offense

Defense

An excellent analysis and conclusion 3AFanatic! Welcome aboard here! DOD folks are gracious hosts!

Offense

Defense

Offense

Fairfield 2nd half points 192 (19.2 pts per game)

Argyle 2nd half points 149 (14.9 pts per game)

Defense

Fairfield 2nd half points allowed 38 (3.8 pts per game)

Argyle 2nd half points allowed 71 (7.1 pts per game)

Offense

Fairfield 2nd half points 192 (19.2 pts per game)

Argyle 2nd half points 149 (14.9 pts per game)

Defense

Fairfield 2nd half points allowed 38 (3.8 pts per game)

Argyle 2nd half points allowed 71 (7.1 pts per game)

Both teams and coaching staffs from this analysis to be commended for getting playing and development time for the younger players and showing some class upon having a game well in hand. Looks like a slight edge for Argyle here as well. Fine post Crawford!

Some, whose monikers will go unmentioned, have feebly questioned the heart and desire of this Argyle team. Unwise move, as I have observed it first hand to be inspirational in fact. Tell that to the Bossow brothers, or better yet, to their older brother, Terren Barnes, deployed with the United States Marines who surprised his younger siblings a few years back on leave at their championship bid at Cowboy stadium. Tell it to the group who played along with Regal's son at Rose Stadium some years back in those tough conditions. Or to any number of other extended family groups or lifelong friends who are part of this team or prior contingencies. No lack of heart or desire or sacrifice and teamwork here, just as Argyle has seen in many of the great teams it has faced over that time. Not unique to Argyle by any means, and not maintained for the many many more years of those the ilk of Gilmer and others, but not subject to question from much observation. I believe that the heart of this team in particular may be its greatest strength.

Offense

Defense

BOOM,

Scottie...there's a very convincing argument in favor of the Argyle Eagles for hard work and determination. How many Lone Star Cups has Argyle won since they became a school about 12 yrs. ago? I think 4 is the answer. There's not another school in 3A that can boast even close to that....and second place twice along with that. That says everything that needs to be said about whether this school of 650 enrollment has the heart to compete. And in football, I think we've won about 116 games in the last 11 yrs. That's pretty top-notch in 3A....with the exception of maybe Carthage. Gilmer and Argyle are 2nd and 3rd, I believe, if not tied counting this year's records. Then there's all the other sports, UIL, and band. This is the very top award a school can win in its classification. It takes hard work, hours upon hours of extra-curricular time invested, and lots of heart.

Scottie...there's a very convincing argument in favor of the Argyle Eagles for hard work and determination. How many Lone Star Cups has Argyle won since they became a school about 12 yrs. ago? I think 4 is the answer. There's not another school in 3A that can boast even close to that....and second place twice along with that. That says everything that needs to be said about whether this school of 650 enrollment has the heart to compete. And in football, I think we've won about 116 games in the last 11 yrs. That's pretty top-notch in 3A....with the exception of maybe Carthage. Gilmer and Argyle are 2nd and 3rd, I believe, if not tied counting this year's records. Then there's all the other sports, UIL, and band. This is the very top award a school can win in its classification. It takes hard work, hours upon hours of extra-curricular time invested, and lots of heart.

+1000!

Here's a followup to the video on USMC SGT. Brian Stokes that I believe you and many others like Golfingnut and Chain and AOB if he is still looking in will enjoy Regal: http://www.bpsports.net/bpsports.asp?ID=5566

Hey ADK! I figured out what is going on with your poll here, but keep it on the down low! Jackpots, the Amarillo Slim of Gilmer, has rigged it so he can reel them in at the wagering table!

Seriously. Something is going on with this poll. FF isn't ready for what is going to happen on Friday. People that are questioning this team's heart obviously have not been around this team. Don't mistake taking care of business and focusing on the big goal in sight with no heart or caring.

Seriously. Something is going on with this poll. FF isn't ready for what is going to happen on Friday. People that are questioning this team's heart obviously have not been around this team. Don't mistake taking care of business and focusing on the big goal in sight with no heart or caring.

I had a feeling that when jackpots asked me to have you add a poll he was up to something. I think he used the TDH that Gilmer was going to loan us for the game to skew the poll and he is laughing all the way to the bank reeling em in!

I have prepared some stats for those of you that like to look at those kind of things. Although I am an Argyle homer, I want to be educated for this game as a fan so that I can try to look at the game objectively prior to the game. All DOD friends welcome in the Argyle section to shake those "shakers" with us!

Fairfield

Opponent W/L 84-91

Opponent Average State Rank 426.6

Average Points Scored 57.3

Average Points Given Up 9.2

State Rank 19

National Rank 141

Argyle

Opponent W/L 106-73

Opponent Average State Rank 321.9

Average Points Scored 51.7

Average Points Given Up 12.7

State Rank 11

National Rank 84

By the looks of the above numbers, both teams have dynamic scoring offenses and shutdown defenses. Upon further analysis, Fairfield has not played nearly the teams that Argyle has, on the whole. Fairfield's best 4 wins came against Navasota (ranked 68 in TX), Rockdale (ranked 134 in TX), Connally (ranked 141 in TX), and Sinton (ranked 174 in TX). Argyle's best 4 wins came against Graham (ranked 30 in TX), Gilmer (ranked 37 in TX), Nolan Catholic (ranked 96 in TX), and Celina (ranked 111 in TX). Argyle has more quality wins than Fairfield. Now, this may not mean that Argyle will win, obviously, but it does mean that Argyle has been tested by teams closer to their talent level more often.

Going to keep digging into the numbers... Go Eagles! ... Argyle that is. smile.gif

Max preps is usually a terrible way to justify ranked teams.

I do not know a whole lot about 3A football outside the normal powerhouses. I will be rooting for fairfield because of the East Texas ties but I am kinda expecting Argyle to win this one with Ian Sadler in the end. This kid could play at any school in Texas including 5A powerhouses like SLC and DeSoto.