Friday Night Tykes on Esquire Channel

Bluetooth

My kids have played 2 years in this league for the Killeen JR Roos and I also coaced in this league as well. TYFA football is certainly one of the more competitive youth leagues in the nation. I have only seen the highlights from the show and plan on watching the re-run on the 16th and in all honestly I can say none of our coaches that I was around from any of the age groups with-in the organization treated the kids like what I saw in the clip. I coached the midget divioson kids ranging from 6-7-8 depending on when your birthday is. 6 you can play flag but you have the tackle option. I have allowed both of my kids to start tackle at 6. The league is broken down into 2 divions 1 and 2. Division 1 is like Texas 5A and Division 2 is like Texas 4A is how the TYFA officials break it down to us. The more talented and larger organizations play Division 1. The JR Roos are a Div 2 organization I think roughley my last year in TYFA which was 2012 we had close to 45 teams accross Texas playing for the state championship and that is just in the midget divison 2. The most teams are in the San Antonio area but I know TYFA stretches to Houston for some Div 1 teams. Austin and Killeen also have a fair amount of teams. I know the RGV area has several teams as well. This league is the real deal and since moving back to East Texas they do not have anything close to this league. I know for a fact Lufkin use to have a team in TYFA back in the late 90's and even won a the state championship one year. This past season my buddy started his own organization called the Harker Heights JR Knights and it is a cross between pop warner football and AAU football. He could also join TYFA football at any time if he wanted too. Not as many teams as TYFA has but the league is growing I honestly did not enjoy it that much as I did my experience in TYFA.

Me personally kids safety was always my first priority and having fun. I made sure to teach kids the proper techniques and ways to tackle. I know some coaches/parents go way over board and I have had to deal with that in the past, but not all parents or coaches are like what the show portrays as far as telling another kid to hurt another kid. I will tell my kids that I coach not just my own but on the football field this is the only place you can tackle somebody and not get in trouble. Also both organizatios I coached for also had a no pass no play policy. So we made sure school was priority number 1 and we told the parents that from the beginning because in these leagues kids do not have to play. So you could potentially waste 200 bucks if your child brought us a failing report card.

I'm sure that just like any reality show this one will be sensationalized. It's a shame that it's always the negativity that is what captures the viewers. I have coached little league football and baseball as well as broadcasted school sports. I am sure that somewhere along the way I have said or conveyed the wrong thing. Thank God no one was around with a camera though. I've learned and grown through my wife, my best friend, and with the influence of the Tatum AD. I just hope it won't all be negative on the show. Texas is king in regards to football.

I've seen people in real life trying to relive old glory years, but these guys are pathetic people. One coach said it was supposed to be the best day of his life. Another Coach was leading his players in a chant that said "F$&@ the Knights".

Would like for my kid to play in a league as competitive as this, the pushing from the coaches is nothing different than what'd they would experience during HS football, looks like a great farm system for the local teams to me

You mean the pushing from wannabe coaches is nothing different than they would see 4-7 years or so down the road from REAL coaches... Gotcha

Would like for my kid to play in a league as competitive as this, the pushing from the coaches is nothing different than what'd they would experience during HS football, looks like a great farm system for the local teams to me

Yeah, those SA teams are winning State Championships in HS regularly! LOL!

I'm sure the leauges around this state aren't too different from this one that's being publicized, I doubt those in SA take football more seriously than any other area they just happened to invite the cameras

Dude, you wanting your kid to play for some crazy people is your business.

I just know mine won't.

A lot can happen with a kid from Pop Warner to MS to HS.