Friday Night Tykes on Esquire Channel

Bluetooth

There is a huge difference in tough coaching and the idiocy portrayed on this show. I have only seen a couple of coaches, on this show, behave with any type of class or dignity. I am sure everything is hyped up. All the craziness is good for ratings. The thing is you have to have something to start with to hype it up. This show puts a glaring spotlight on the things that give "youth" coaches a bad reputation. The winning at all costs, even encouraging the young players to try to hurt other players. Hard hitting play is a far cry from attempting to intentionally injure someone. Teaching sound fundamentals, toughness and instilling a love for the game should be first and foremost for this age of children. A coach can do all of those things without cussing, showing poor sportsmanship, or teaching "dirty" play.

Those of you who say you would have your child play for these guys might have a different view if you were in the stands with your child being exposed to this kind of behavior from the coaches and some of the parents.

I can honestly say my sons would have never played for any of the poor examples this show has as coaches.

There is a huge difference in tough coaching and the idiocy portrayed on this show. I have only seen a couple of coaches, on this show, behave with any type of class or dignity. I am sure everything is hyped up. All the craziness is good for ratings. The thing is you have to have something to start with to hype it up. This show puts a glaring spotlight on the things that give "youth" coaches a bad reputation. The winning at all costs, even encouraging the young players to try to hurt other players. Hard hitting play is a far cry from attempting to intentionally injure someone. Teaching sound fundamentals, toughness and instilling a love for the game should be first and foremost for this age of children. A coach can do all of those things without cussing, showing poor sportsmanship, or teaching "dirty" play.

Those of you who say you would have your child play for these guys might have a different view if you were in the stands with your child being exposed to this kind of behavior from the coaches and some of the parents.

I can honestly say my sons would have never played for any of the poor examples this show has as coaches.

+1

I agree with you but I still don't mind some of the toughness they bring to that age group and the cussing isn't as bad as people are saying because in most homes they hear a lot worse at home!

I agree with you but I still don't mind some of the toughness they bring to that age group and the cussing isn't as bad as people are saying because in most homes they hear a lot worse at home!

What about the one coach who was leading there team in jumping jacks while having the team chant cuss words about the other team every time he blew the whistle? Is that ok since they hear it at home?

What about the one coach who was leading there team in jumping jacks while having the team chant cuss words about the other team every time he blew the whistle? Is that ok since they hear it at home?

I didn't see that one but there's was one guy I didn't care for but some of it I didn't mind but not the flat out cussing I'm not saying like that just the lil stuff I don't mind!

I didn't see that one but there's was one guy I didn't care for but some of it I didn't mind but not the flat out cussing I'm not saying like that just the lil stuff I don't mind!

I like the hard hitting the Outlaws do, but not their cussing at the kids. And that one kids mom is on this show strictly to be about herself. Talking about she's made a name for herself already.

I have absolutely no issue with being a tough coach. The team follows what you preach/teach and if you practice tough (hard hitting, hustle, and hardwork) you play tough. That is what should be happening.

The issue I have with cussing (even if they hear ten times worse at home) is that as a coach you are supposed to be a good role model for these athletes, especially with athletes as young as this. They will learn from your example and for some of these athletes the coach may be the only positive/good role model they have. The cussing, poor sportsmanship, teaching dirty, injury causing play, and other idiocy is not setting the right example for the athletes.

For example, The Jr Colts head coach actually had his team chanting, "F-word the Rockets" and he didn't censor the word at all. I had to watch that twice to make sure I wasn't hearing things. I could not believe a grown man would have elementary aged kids chanting such a thing.

Each to their own but I would never let my child play for this league if it condones such behavior.

I like the hard hitting the Outlaws do, but not their cussing at the kids. And that one kids mom is on this show strictly to be about herself. Talking about she's made a name for herself already.

I already can't stand that woman. She is the epitome of a bad sports parent. I do like that the Outlaws coach spoke to her about her behavior and I love how the Outlaws play as well. Very hard hitting team. The Outlaws and Predators head coaches are the only two that have showed any class so far.

I have absolutely no issue with being a tough coach. The team follows what you preach/teach and if you practice tough (hard hitting, hustle, and hardwork) you play tough. That is what should be happening.

The issue I have with cussing (even if they hear ten times worse at home) is that as a coach you are supposed to be a good role model for these athletes, especially with athletes as young as this. They will learn from your example and for some of these athletes the coach may be the only positive/good role model they have. The cussing, poor sportsmanship, teaching dirty, injury causing play, and other idiocy is not setting the right example for the athletes.

For example, The Jr Colts head coach actually had his team chanting, "F-word the Rockets" and he didn't censor the word at all. I had to watch that twice to make sure I wasn't hearing things. I could not believe a grown man would have elementary aged kids chanting such a thing.

Each to their own but I would never let my child play for this league if it condones such behavior.

The flat out cussing chants I missed that part I don't like that but like I said I don't mind the small words not the big ones I understand coaching can get frustrating at times but just purposely just cussing just because I agree with you I wouldn't have it either

TYFA was the best league as part of competition in Texas I have seen. I loved the set up with tyfa and my kids really enjoyed playing in it. Pop Warner in Texas has nothing on this league. Even though I am glad to be back home in east texas. I searched the leagues out here and they are not even close but i wouldnt expect that with the number difference. I look at the league in Lufkin and i just shake my head because it is pure ####. I never met any of those coaches on the show as i coached in killeen but not every coach is like what you see on the show. I worked with some really good ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw a report today that the coach of the jr colts had been suspended for six months for the leading the team in cussing chants and another coach, I think the jr broncos head coach, had been suspended for one year for encourging his players to injure opposing players. I'm happy to see the league's governing body taking action.