Holland to miss start of season

Coach Rab

Any idea on what surgery he actually had? I am trying to figure out the timeline... If it is the All Star break like ESPN mentioned, then it had to be ACL or a serious fracture requiring screws. However, if it is the beginning of the season, it could be something more manageable.

Any idea on what surgery he actually had? I am trying to figure out the timeline... If it is the All Star break like ESPN mentioned, then it had to be ACL or a serious fracture requiring screws. However, if it is the beginning of the season, it could be something more manageable.

Microfracture

So lets see, he wa walking before and after game...ran the morning he was injuried with trainer, but because we believe anything we read it must be hockey.

Yes, as long as its on SDC. lol Like I said its just a rumor.

By any chance, did you happen to watch the 2011 World Series? Maybe Game 5?

That's ONE game. You're talking about ONE game here. How many other big games has he pitched in and list the line on that start. How many times have you seen this guy cruise along dominating a line-up only to walk a couple in a row and give up a bomb? I feel like I've seen it far too many times. I understand he's young, but this is his 3rd full season and he continues to progress like a 15 yr old, not to mention missing half a season because he fell down his stairs...? Face it, the guy is weird...

That's ONE game. You're talking about ONE game here. How many other big games has he pitched in and list the line on that start. How many times have you seen this guy cruise along dominating a line-up only to walk a couple in a row and give up a bomb? I feel like I've seen it far too many times. I understand he's young, but this is his 3rd full season and he continues to progress like a 15 yr old, not to mention missing half a season because he fell down his stairs...? Face it, the guy is weird...

That ONE game was a World Series game with both teams tied at two games, so that's not a bad ONE game to mention. Also, check out his numbers down the stretch in September 2011 with the AL West on the line. Not too bad, either.

I'm certainly not saying the guy's not weird, but the fact is he's one of the best LH starters in the A.L. And as for him cruising along and then suddenly giving up a couple walks then a jack, well, that's called baseball. You can watch Scherzer, Verlander, or Kershaw do the same thing. Those ML hitters ain't too bad! You look at the overall body of work, and Holland's is pretty impressive.

I get what ya'll are saying. But he has stuff that rivals Kershaw. Seriously, he runs it up 94-96 which Kershaw can do as well but pitches more around 92-94 for the most part. Holland has an above average breaking ball with a really good change-up. What else do you need? You're telling me that he doesn't have Cy Young candidate stuff? Yet, he's never been in the race. The guy has 20 game winner stuff and has yet to utilize it. It's there, I've seen it. He's still a couple years away and a couple years of maturing away from being that guy...

Both of you guys are making good points. I just hate that The Good Guys are losing him for the first three months or so of the season. Just please, J.D. - no Bruce Chen!

I'd love to see Colby Lewis return to form in the middle of the rotation. The guy has the heart of a lion and is definitely one of the best people in the game.

Both of you guys are making good points. I just hate that The Good Guys are losing him for the first three months or so of the season. Just please, J.D. - no Bruce Chen!

I'd love to see Colby Lewis return to form in the middle of the rotation. The guy has the heart of a lion and is definitely one of the best people in the game.

I like the guy, but he is done. Too old and too many surgeries.

Microfracture

If that is all, then I don't understand why he would miss the start of the season. I am now in sales with equipment to orthopaedic groups and there are ways to heal that fracture and be completely done with rehab in 2-3 months max. However, I am sure he will be back before the all-star break if that is all that it is.

If that is all, then I don't understand why he would miss the start of the season. I am now in sales with equipment to orthopaedic groups and there are ways to heal that fracture and be completely done with rehab in 2-3 months max. However, I am sure he will be back before the all-star break if that is all that it is.

Now that I think about it, I just remembered how baseball is... he will have to spend 2-3 weeks in the minors to get back in "baseball shape" aka sitting still on the bench for 30 minutes before going out and throwing more warm up tosses than pitches.

Now that I think about it, I just remembered how baseball is... he will have to spend 2-3 weeks in the minors to get back in "baseball shape" aka sitting still on the bench for 30 minutes before going out and throwing more warm up tosses than pitches.

I was under the impression that micro fracture was a bad deal