Gladewater Head Coach

ChampsBreak

My Best friend is a Coach at Gladewater and he said his Head Coach was Arrested Saturday night with a DWI. He acted like the School was going to make hom resign!!! This is a crazy situation. Just when i thought they had turned the corner. If this turns out to be true. This will make someone a great job!!!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His second alcohol related offense per KETK. He was caught driving with an open container in 2007.

My thinking is that there are two possibilities in play. Either he's committed exactly two offenses and happened to be caught both times, or he's committed many and only happened to be caught twice. I think the latter is by far the more probable.

He should be fired.

My question goes to this.... if he had a job say working in a bank, would he need to be fired?

And I don't read anywhere that he was working with kids at the time of the incident either.... or did I miss something?

Just curious why a coach is held to a higher standard than the rest of the "ordinary citizens?"

And I don't read anywhere that he was working with kids at the time of the incident either.... or did I miss something?

Just curious why a coach is held to a higher standard than the rest of the "ordinary citizens?"

Maybe because bankers aren't looked up to like coaches. I would hate to see someone make a mistake and lose everything. I would offer him the chance to apologize and go to rehab before firing him.

He might not of been, but what's to say he doesn't come to school drunk and coach the kids while drunk, since he clearly has little care for himself and others (because yes he was endangering himself and others by drinking and driving and this obviously wasn't the first time this has happened).

I don't think he should be fired, mainly cause I don't know know the whole story nor care to. I think he's a great coach with a ton of potential that has a Gladewater program headed in the right direction. You have the guy who's the head football coach of however many students. If they see their own football coach drinking and driving all over the places, what's to keep those players from looking at him and saying that's ok because he's doing it. These coaches are role models and if they're not wanting to be, pick a different profession. I do think it's pretty funny that some posters here are acting as if it's no big deal that this has happened because "it happens every day."

Having seen first hand (many times) the havoc drinking and driving plays on the lives of innocent people, I can assure you, it's a big deal. I would not want this guy in a position to have any sort of influence over my kids, or their friends. If the GISD administration decides that a slap on the wrist is all that's needed so they can keep winning football games, shame on them. Whether a coach likes it or not, he IS a role model. The question is, what kind of role model does he want to be? If you don't want that responsibility, get a job in the oilfield. Of course, these activities are drowned on there now, too.

Because kids need role models

Cops, teachers, coaches, and politicians should all be held to higher standards. However, I hate to see him lose his job. I've met him on a personal level and he seemed like a great guy. He is friends with some of my family. He also looks to be a great coach. It's a tough decision for GISD...no doubt.

Because kids need role models

It's not the coaches job to raise our children! If a child is looking outside the home for their role models, then what does that say about the family unit?

We take God out of our schools and give our kids free reign to do anything they want, and then when something like this happens we jump to place blame and point fingers and say this is what's wrong with our children. We can't have it both ways!!

As far as Coach Baugh is concerned, I don't know the whole story, but I do know I will pray for him, for Dr. Richardson and for the school board. These are all good men, who will make the best decision for ALL involved. The best thing I can do is support them and pray for them!!!