Gladewater Head Coach

ChampsBreak

It's not the coaches job to raise our children! If a child is looking outside the home for their role models, then what does that say about the family unit?

We take God out of our schools and give our kids free reign to do anything they want, and then when something like this happens we jump to place blame and point fingers and say this is what's wrong with our children. We can't have it both ways!!

As far as Coach Baugh is concerned, I don't know the whole story, but I do know I will pray for him, for Dr. Richardson and for the school board. These are all good men, who will make the best decision for ALL involved. The best thing I can do is support them and pray for them!!!

I know some kids that need to look outside their home for a role model, and even the kids with good role models in their home should see good examples outside the home.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some kids that need to look outside their home for a role model, and even the kids with good role models in their home should see good examples outside the home.

This!!

I'm not saying it's the coaches job to "raise" other individuals kids. However, some kids aren't lucky enough to have people they could look up to in their home or environment. Sometimes the coaches fill that void of a father figure or a role model when the kids doesn't have anyone else they could look up to. Coach Outlaw was a role model and father figure for several players that went through our program, including Jorvorskie Lane and Dez.

It's not the coaches job to raise our children! If a child is looking outside the home for their role models, then what does that say about the family unit?

We take God out of our schools and give our kids free reign to do anything they want, and then when something like this happens we jump to place blame and point fingers and say this is what's wrong with our children. We can't have it both ways!!

As far as Coach Baugh is concerned, I don't know the whole story, but I do know I will pray for him, for Dr. Richardson and for the school board. These are all good men, who will make the best decision for ALL involved. The best thing I can do is support them and pray for them!!!

agreed it is not the coaches job or the schools job to raise our kids but I think its needed now more than ever before because there are way more influences now

If he had Killed your Wife and Kids Driving DRUNK Saturday night or hit a car load of his students head on and killed a couple of kids and paralized a couple kids I'm sure you would still be talking 'oh everbody makes mistakes" and The non role model crock. He needs his tail kicked and then fired. JMO.

watch your language

Because kids need role models

That is true, a child needs TWO parents at home to BE those role models; someone to raise them to know right from wrong, honesty, integrity, and to take RESPONSIBILITY for their actions. That student may well see these qualities in a coach, teacher, etc, but it isn't that coach or teachers Job to be the example, it is the Parent's job. Coach Baugh will, and probably should lose his job because of this, but it is Not, his job description yo be or set an example for others. In my opinion.

Do kids and should kids have this, yes. Is it a reality no. Coaches teach them to take responsibility, through their practice, attitude, and work in the classroom but how many times have you heard a coach tell a SR be a leader and example for the younger guys in the program, 10 50 200? Just as older kids are examples so are coaches, just the fact. In my contract it states, Be an example for members of the athletic organization and community. Do not shed a negative light upon the district through on field or off the field actions.

Sounds like it IS part of Your job description. As to it not being a reality? I know it isn't a reality, & THAT is sad. Sad because parents these days fail their kids and don't seem to care. Before long, the kids are running into trouble because 1. There's no father figure to stop the kid whose now to big for the mother to Make the kid do right. 2. If there is a father figure there, he may not be mentoring the kid, or He's not able to control the kid either. Either way , no, it isn't reality, but what if that coach or teacher were to TRY to use corporal punishment on a kid who DESPERATELY needs his butt Spanked? Parents & lawters would come out of everywhere to sue the school, coach & anyone else they could because the coach HAD THE NERVE to do such a thing. Reality? No. I know. We live in a sad sad world, my friend. I am not taking up for what Coach Baugh did, though it may seeem that I am, only saying that it is the parents job to raise their kids; not everyone else's.

Coaching and teaching is a not a profession that you clock in and clock out of and forget your job when you go home. It is a 24/7/365 day job. I have been a coach for a while now.

The coach made a mistake and that does not mean that he is a bad person. He is a human. However, there are consequences. One of the consequences for this type of action should be his position as Athletic Director. In my opinion, I think it would show more character on his part with an acknowledgement and resignation taking it out of the district's hands. That was how I was taught by the old hard nosed good men that brought me up in the profession.

Having said that, he can bounce back. It won't be the end of the world for him.

Do kids and should kids have this, yes. Is it a reality no. Coaches teach them to take responsibility, through their practice, attitude, and work in the classroom but how many times have you heard a coach tell a SR be a leader and example for the younger guys in the program, 10 50 200? Just as older kids are examples so are coaches, just the fact. In my contract it states, Be an example for members of the athletic organization and community. Do not shed a negative light upon the district through on field or off the field actions.

You are correct, it isn't reality for many many kids to have that stable home where they don't have to look outside for their role models. And our society doesn't do anything to change that. It just accepts the fact that the "family unit" won't change, but yet we continue to hold others accountable for what we should be holding the family accountable for. We can't place blame & hold people up to higher standards than what we hold parents up to.

Like I said before, I do not know all the details regarding Coach Baugh's arrest. All I know is what I have read and I will not prosecute someone just because of hearsay information. I will leave it up to Dr. Richardson to do his internal investigation and pray for him and all those involved that the decisions made will be the best for the kids, the school, the community and also for Coach Baugh.

I do not condone or defend Coach Baugh's actions. All I do know is that these blanket "he should be fired" is wrong, and that is what I was griping about. I realize that Coach's are role models. I realize that our actions should reflect what we as coaches try to instill in our athletes. But I also get tired of how as soon as a coach makes a mistake its fire the guy.

Each situation is different and each school district has the right and responsibility to investigate and make the decision that is best for them. Not every time that a coach is not fired is it so that the team can win games. Sometimes it is what is best for that district. Like Golfingnut, I choose to pray for Coach Baugh to get things right in his life and the Admin to do what is best for their situation.

If he had Killed your Wife and Kids Driving DRUNK Saturday night or hit a car load of his students head on and killed a couple of kids and paralized a couple kids I'm sure you would still be talking 'oh everbody makes mistakes" and The non role model crock. He needs his ###### kicked and then fired. JMO.

Agree 100%!!!!!

Personally, I think anyone who drinks and drives is a complete Idiot! Everyone knows damn well what can happen if you drink and get behind the wheel of a car. To say "it's a mistake and everyone makes mistakes", BS! A mistake can be corrected, stupidity can't. Getting the wrong milk at the store is a mistake, putting someone else's life in danger is pure stupid, inconsiderate, and UNacceptable!

To those acting like it's not a coaches or teachers job to be a role model, you need to wake up. This isn't Leave it to Beaver! First of all, being a role model is NOT the same thing as 'raising' someone else's child, so don't even compare the two. Secondly, there are more kids out there that do not have a stable home than there are that do. For many of these kids, these coaches are the best role model they will ever know.

Agree 100%!!!!!

Personally, I think anyone who drinks and drives is a complete Idiot! Everyone knows damn well what can happen if you drink and get behind the wheel of a car. To say "it's a mistake and everyone makes mistakes", BS! A mistake can be corrected, stupidity can't. Getting the wrong milk at the store is a mistake, putting someone else's life in danger is pure stupid, inconsiderate, and UNacceptable!

To those acting like it's not a coaches or teachers job to be a role model, you need to wake up. This isn't Leave it to Beaver! First of all, being a role model is NOT the same thing as 'raising' someone else's child, so don't even compare the two. Secondly, there are more kids out there that do not have a stable home than there are that do. For many of these kids, these coaches are the best role model they will ever know.

Perhaps you should switch to DeCaf, we Know most kids don't have good role models these days, and do you NOT believe it is the parent's job to raise their children and be good role models? Yes, most coaches Are good role models. I very much live in the real world... Always have. The coach messed up. What happens next is in others hands.

This probably does't define Coach Baugh as a man. What happens now will. When we all make mistakes there are consequences involved. As a coach he is a teacher and role model for those kids at Gladewater. Does he want send a message that they should get out paying the consequences or should he show his kids that you take your punishment whatever it is? I think most of most of us would want the right thing to be done, and at the same time want mercy.

Perhaps you should switch to DeCaf, we Know most kids don't have good role models these days, and do you NOT believe it is the parent's job to raise their children and be good role models? Yes, most coaches Are good role models. I very much live in the real world... Always have. The coach messed up. What happens next is in others hands.

Umm, is that what I said? Nope!

And it goes well beyond, "the coach messed up". The man was so drunk that he passed out. This happened in his CAR! That means he was driving this way. That means he was putting EVERY other person on the road in danger! Sorry, but that is UNacceptable!

I do not condone or defend Coach Baugh's actions. All I do know is that these blanket "he should be fired" is wrong, and that is what I was griping about. I realize that Coach's are role models. I realize that our actions should reflect what we as coaches try to instill in our athletes. But I also get tired of how as soon as a coach makes a mistake its fire the guy.

Each situation is different and each school district has the right and responsibility to investigate and make the decision that is best for them. Not every time that a coach is not fired is it so that the team can win games. Sometimes it is what is best for that district. Like Golfingnut, I choose to pray for Coach Baugh to get things right in his life and the Admin to do what is best for their situation.

+1